+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Help please with FMS SQL2008 Migration in Technical; Thanks Banjo @DRDOS: Just think worth re-mentioning, as might be critical: Capita do not support server 2008R2 at the moment, ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Banjo

@DRDOS: Just think worth re-mentioning, as might be critical: Capita do not support server 2008R2 at the moment, I don't believe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Thanks Banjo

@DRDOS: Just think worth re-mentioning, as might be critical: Capita do not support server 2008R2 at the moment, I don't believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    GREED is right about Server 2008 R2 - that won't be supported until the Autumn upgrade is applied.
    This is from the updated Autumn Pre-release notes :

Support for the SIMS and FMS Client software on Windows 7 64 bit.
    o Note that this does not include support for Nova-T4
    Support for the SIMS and FMS SQL Server on Windows Server 2008 R2
    As it's released November 19th, I'd say it's not worth worrying about it too much because even if the update is delayed for whatever reason they can't say they don't support the OS anymore. I'm sure they'd support the system now if you did end up in any trouble.

Interested to hear how you get on, as i haven't migrated my FMS yet, only the SIMS. I'm doing it in situ for now, then when both are running fine together will move both to a new server.

3. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

drdos256 (1st November 2010), GREED (1st November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestion (I have tried windows & SA, but the fundemental problem it appears that R2 is not supported by the migration tools) - from Capita "64-Bit R2 will be supported from the 19th November." - which confirms your post.

I'm going to take this as an opportunity and install from fresh on the 2008 box. I'm building a test 2003 server which I'll put sql05 and do the upgrade on that machine, then (hopefully) the 2008 express database can transfer onto the 2008r2 server (Is this ok ???)... that's the plan - I hope it works ! Finance are up and running with 6.132 shame I initially hit a brick wall with capita, but MANY THANKS to everyone that has contributed to this thread !

Thank Post
    I don't think there should be an issue moving from SQL 2008 express to the Windows R2 server. Why don't you just put full SQL 2008 onto the windows 2003 box. That is how i'm running my SIMS at the moment. I'm upgrading my FMS this weekend on to the same server, so i can at least turn off the old SQL 2005.

Once things are quiet after our Eid break, I'm setting up a new box on Windows R2, and then will transfer both DBs so they are on a clean install, and perhaps even change the server name too.

Thank Post
    If it's of use or interest:

I did the FMS migration today. It took around 20-30 mins going over the manual whilst having breakfast, then 10 mins to do the migration including it failing twice due to not being able to detach the database. It helped that SQL was already installed and working.

What took a few hours was getting everyone off the system (the ones that didn't log out as asked to yesterday!). Removing remote login ability, rebooting server, taking a snapshot, trying to shrink the db files prior to upgrade as i didn't think they would shrink well after, backing up both sims and fms dbs, setting up maintenance plans for backups afterwards and setting up email notification, lastly setting the growth rates on the files. Then getting it tested by the accountant. SIMSPLES.

Redirect service worked, but i just manually accessed the main users' machines and changed the FMSConnect.ini files as it was easier than getting to the machine physically or via rdp.

All SQL 2005 services disabled, and rebooted again. Is there a difference in speed? Not a great one, though an hour later things seemed to be a tad better, though not much.

Next step is to, after vacation, setup a new Server 2008 R2 box, with SQL, then moving the files across onto the clean and hopefully much quicker server... I guess i'll do the Autumn update then too, but not really wanting to do it so soon after launch.

Thank Post
    I've just spoke to Capita .ict and they said that i can remotely host the database on a Server 2008 R2 box running SQL 2008 R2
    Last edited by sturgeo; 15th November 2010 at 11:33 AM.

8. Thanks to sturgeo from:

GREED (15th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeo View Post
    I've just spoke to Capita .ict and they said that i can remotely host the database on a Server 2008 R2 box running SQL 2008 R2
    ROFL!! Is that just the database or the whole SIMS suite?

Thank Post
    Just the database, i've installed SQL 2008 R2 so will let you know if it works when we migrate, i'll be honest though, i have my doubts!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12