+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Mobile in Technical; Originally Posted by PhilNeal Uraken, thanks for the feedback - I have to run the gauntlet as I'm the director ...

Thank Post

Re: SIMS Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal
    Uraken, thanks for the feedback - I have to run the gauntlet as I'm the director that is responsible for SIMS!!.
    ouch rather you than me..

We have reviewed the first cut documentation of Mobile because to be frank, it could have been clearer.
    and yet it still was published less haste......

We are absolutely committed to driving the need for service days to an absolute minimum; ease of use is an absolute requirement.
    I can tell that you are committed and i'm sure that just your being here on this and other forums will allow things improve.
    p.s its never personal.

Thank Post

Being fair once I had the second version of the manual I pretty mucg got there with a small amount of assitance.

Thank Post

I've been trialing CSS Mobile too but I can't say its very impressive at its current level. The initial guide that was released was easy to follow but had 3 major flaws. One of which actually stops sims.net clients from being able to login to the database. All three issues were rectified in the revised notes and now I'm sure any technician will be able to install the software if they follow the guide.

After a matter of minutes I was confident in using the bulk of the PDA application. However, the interface is very clunky and needs to be made a little more streamlined for use in the classroom. Our plan was to hand out PDA's to schools where teachers are new to sims. In its current state I am not confident the less technically minded teachers will be able to operate the software correctly. One of my main gripes about the GUI is the 'right click' menu on the register. If you right click when a pupil is selected you see a different menu to when a pupil is deselected. However, both menus refer to pupil functions which are linked to the student which is right clicked on. For example, to replace an attendance code i have to highlight the pupil and then right click on the mark. If the mark isnt highlighted and i simply try to right click on it I receive an alternative menu offering me the pupil details etc.

I feel the software should be more predictable in its design. To a technician it's a niggle but to a low level user its much more of an issue. Training shouldn't have to compensate for bad design.

There are numerous other interface issues such as the scroll box for attendance code selection only being wide enough to show around 4-5 chars. So the teacher has a choice of:
    Code:
    |E - Excl|
    |F - Exte|
    |G - Exte|
    and so on. There is plenty of space on screen for a larger box and this could increase the ease of use.

On the other hand, I do realise this product is in the early stages so I can understand features are very limited at this stage. In spite of this, I feel there needs to be more analysis into the design of the product before releasing it for testing.

Thank Post

We are converting our teachers across to SIMS Mobile and it is clearly becoming a winner. The whole point about mobility is that it has to be portable, quick and reliable. SIMS Mobile is proving to be a super bit of 'kit', and one can expect some of its rough edges to be smoothed out soon.

Some teachers have commented about some of the issues mentioned but to be fair they are not that big a deal. We use the "Mark All" then just quickly change the few that are different; click "Save" & the job is done.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12