+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Your story to becoming the SIMS master? in Technical; Just interested to know everyone's stories as to how they became SIMS (or other MIS's for that matter) masters as ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Your story to becoming the SIMS master?

Just interested to know everyone's stories as to how they became SIMS (or other MIS's for that matter) masters as we all know you are? Where did you start out and how much support (from all sources) did you have? What was the standout moment (fault most likely) you remember?

G

Thank Post
    Tried teaching for a while. Twenty-nine Years actually.
    Ex-Head of Science/Senior Teacher. In that 29th Year I was Timetabler, Cover Manager, Exams Manager and teaching Science very badly, especially in the Summer Term when I was hardly ever in the classroom!
    Been Timetabler for over a quarter of Century - orginally with Paper and Pencil. Then with Nova Dos, followed by Nova Windows and then into NT4 and NT6.
    Capita bought out Clive Stott and his Nova suite and hence I (and Sheffield LA and the School) followed.
    Took early retirement from Teaching aged 50 after that 29th Year and remained in the school as MIS Manager, Finance Operator, Timetabler, Cover Manager, Exams Manager, System Manager - in a School Support Role.
    I quickly had to pick up Assessment (AM6) and Reporting (Profiles6) and introduced Lesson Monitor6 - originally with OMRs.
    As SIMS grew it became obvious that others needed to be added to the Team and my role became more of a Management one and introduction of new Software from SIMS as and when it arrived (initially Version 7 Modules and more recently projects such as Cover7{Field Trial} and introduction of SLG in Sep/Oct 2008). I have still always maintained a working hands on knowledge of all procedures.
    Still in Post after a considerable number of years (No! I decline to say how many but I bet there ain't many older than me on here) and still Timetabling!
    Latest projects - SIMS Discover Field Trial, SOLUS3 Field Trial, Hopefully CHQ Trial school. Associate UAT School with Capita SIMS, a SIMS Partnership School and a regular attender at SIMS Software meetings. I think my opinions are also well received by Senior Capita Staff (well at least they still talk to me!)

No doubt there is something I have left out which is glaringly obvious but I am sure it will manifest itself shortly!

Is it any wonder I praise SIMS and what it can do? I have a hands on experience and working knowledge of virtually every facet of SIMS with one glaring exception, which is for you to guess at!

I will be very interested to read of others experiences when I return from Rome in a just over a week's time. In the meantime have a good half term holiday for those that will be off! (We finish today!)
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st October 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I have a hands on experience and working knowledge of virtually every facet of SIMS with one glaring exception, which is for you to guess at!
    Dinner Money, Options, Fees, PX...

Thank Post
    I started when SIMS.net was introduced and I was the IT tech who had to get it up and running. I started with system manager and star and mainly by default became the main SIMS troubleshooter and co-ordinator. I still don't have an in depth knowledge of many of the modules - cover, assessment, exams etc each have their own experts and I just deal with the core. One of my main functions seems to be helping admin staff with reports. I am still basically involved in IT support but with a SIMS support function added. My biggest beef is staff who say SIMS won't ........... when in fact it will - they just haven't looked in the right place and moan rather than asking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Dinner Money, Options, Fees, PX...
    True .... true ....

Then again I was referring to the modules that a 'normal' State Secondary would normally have access to.
    As for Options - I was going to try it this year as it would probably cope with my sub-bands this time. However, being as it seems that the Options Offer will not make it to SLG then I see little point in moving from my own tried and trusted method developed over decades. If Options Offer did make it, well that would be a different story!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have a great time Mike bring me back a leaning tower! You have beaten me in the number of Capita accolades, not impressed!

Hecate, that is mostly my story too (that will follow!). Fully agree with the staff won't comment, it will I promise you!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    My biggest beef is staff who say SIMS won't ........... when in fact it will - they just haven't looked in the right place and moan rather than asking.
    Here here!

8. Thanks to Sivadam from:

marekbrad (21st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    However, being as it seems that the Options Offer will not make it to SLG then I see little point in moving from my own tried and trusted method developed over decades. If Options Offer did make it, well that would be a different story!
    Mike, is that the options web part that would have allowed students to 'enter' their own options? That is a big surprise to me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Have a great time Mike bring me back a leaning tower!
    Florence and Pisa was 2 years ago! Sorrento, Capri, Naples etc was last year!

Would a Gladiator do instead? Or even a Pope?

Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Mike, is that the options web part that would have allowed students to 'enter' their own options? That is a big surprise to me.
    Yep it is. It's in SIMS but not on the horizon for the SLG yet!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st October 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Florence and Pisa was 2 years ago! Sorrento, Capri, Naples etc was last year!

Would a Gladiator do instead? Or even a Pope?
    Brilliant, 1 Pope please, with extra large hat!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep it is. It's in SIMS but not on the horizon for the SLG yet!
    How has that been integrated into SIMS? Very interested in this because this is/was a big step in the right direction.

Thank Post
    Am at home now so can't give you the exact route. But I don't think the routine is much use without the webpart!

Message posted by Chris Sherwood on 27 September 2010 at 11:10 am
    Chris Sherwood
    Capita Education Services
    CARDINGTON
    Colin Walker wrote...
    I have heard that the old Options module has been replaced...is this the new version?

Colin, no this is not the replacement for Options, it is as Mike has described, a small part of the Options process in SIMS, waiting for the SLG Options web part.

We have no current plan to build this.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st October 2010 at 03:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Am at home now so can't give you the exact route. But I don't think the routine is much use without the webpart!
    No I fully agree, in fact I don't know how it is useful at all without a secure but seperate web part!

Thank Post
    Tools, Academic Management, SIMS Offer is the route in SIMS. It was delivered in the Summer Release.

(I found some of my old UAT Notes in my briefcase! Just below the half eaten 'sarnie' from last month! Only kidding ........it was the month before!)
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st October 2010 at 03:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tools, Academic Management, SIMS Offer is the route in SIMS. It was delivered in the Summer Release.

(I found some of my old UAT Notes in my briefcase! Just below the half eaten 'sarnie' from last month! Only kidding ........it was the month before!)
    Was it cheese? Or more likely is it cheese now?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast