+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, MIS Doesn't Support Multiple Centres? Try Exam File Split in Technical; Originally Posted by NorthernSands This looks interesting. We have multiple centre numbers (one for each board, it seems). We're not ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSands View Post
    This looks interesting. We have multiple centre numbers (one for each board, it seems). We're not a split site, though, I think it's just the way it was originally set up and the exam boards don't want to merge the numbers!

Does this program support more than two centre numbers? If so I might have a word with our Exams Officer. It'd save him the job of changing the centre number in Exams Organiser to produce the entries. We'll try tackling the exam boards again, but this may be an alternative if that fails.

Thanks for this!
    Hi NorthernSands,

although the program has only ever been tested on two site schools, there is absolutely no reason it shouldn't work for a school with dozens of sites.

When you first run the program, there are some simple settings that must be tweaked to tell the program which exam centre numbers you are using. You then create a CSV file for each centre containing the candidate numbers of all the candidates that should be entered against that centre number (if you use ranges; as we do; you can just enter all the numbers in that range).

You create all your entries in your MIS as per usual (under any centre number you like), then feed the generated file in to my program, which will parse it and split it in to seperate files ready to send to the exam boards. It currently works with entry files and amendment files.

If you do decide to give it a go, feel free to PM me for my email address and I'll provide all the support I can if you need it

Thank Post
    Just a quick note - made a slight change to the README today to make things clearer and also to include details of the GNU license I'm releasing under - the program itself (and the source code) have not changed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSands View Post
    @VikPaw. Thanks (and for the invites). I will have a look. When I have time. Inshallah! It might have to wait until the next exams season.
    bukrah?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 21st March 2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: :p

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    bukrah?
    The way things are going at the moment, almost everything important is exactly that!

Thank Post
    Just a small update: you will now get a message telling you which students (if any) could not be matched to an exam centre upon generation.

Source & program both updated, links remain the same:

Exam File Split
    Source

Thank Post
    Is this a slightly different situation than a single site being registered with exam boards using different numbers, as a SIMS user I thought this was possible anyway?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iansimpson888 View Post
    Is this a slightly different situation than a single site being registered with exam boards using different numbers, as a SIMS user I thought this was possible anyway?
    This is to deal with schools who use multiple centre numbers (usually split site schools, but not necessarily always).

SIMS (and maybe other MIS, I've only used SIMS) only allows you to use one centre number in Exams Organiser. While it is theoretically possible to do one set of entries, change the centre number then do the other, this makes it extremely easy to end up entering a student on the wrong site. I was told when we came to this situation that Capita would not support us if we continued to use multiple centre numbers, whilst at the same time being told by the exam boards we must use separate centre numbers for separate sites to ensure the secure delivery of papers.

8. Thanks to LosOjos from:

iansimpson888 (21st October 2011)

Thank Post
    I see, so different centre numbers from a student perspective. I knew that SIMS could do different centre numbers on a per board basis but that would have been for the entire student population. So this is a way of splitting the student entries for a board as if being sent from two different centres. Thanks. I'll have a play as this will be a useful tool to bear in mind given the number of schools I support!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iansimpson888 View Post
    So this is a way of splitting the student entries for a board as if being sent from two different centres.
    Yep, exactly that, it uses CSV files containing lists of candidate numbers to perform the split so is easily configurable. Here for instance our exams officer just runs off a SIMS report filtered by Reg group as we have different reg groups on each site, takes seconds!

Thank Post
    If anybody is still using this, it'll soon be removed from Dropbox but is available via my website: Exam File Split ← Geek Josh

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12