+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Support in Technical; I've been asked to investigate alternative ways of purchasing SIMS/SIMS Support/SIMS Training other than via our LEA. Due to the ...

Thank Post

Question SIMS Support

I've been asked to investigate alternative ways of purchasing SIMS/SIMS Support/SIMS Training other than via our LEA.

Due to the various cost cutting measures (and lots of behind the scenes politics!) we're currently looking at the viability and costs involved with opting out of most LEA provided services. SIMS is one of the areas that I've been asked to look at so here I am

So does anyone know a provider (other than Capita direct) that would be able to provide SIMS/SIMS support to us? I wasn't sure if the various accredited support providers around the country were tied to only operating in a specific region, or what other providers are out there!

Thank Post
    We use Smis

3. Thanks to siuko from:

Soulfish (15th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Where are you in England?

Thank Post
    We're based in the South East - Kent/Sussex area

Thank Post
    Soulfish.
    I work for a local authority who provides SIMS support and training. On support side, we provide support via the phone and remotely support. We also have a training team who provide a wide range of SIMS training.
    Would you like further information?

7. Thanks to Alfred_Bester from:

Thank Post
    For various reasons we opted out of LA Support for SIMS and moved to direct support by Capita.
    The support I have received since has been nothing short of excellent!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 15th October 2010 at 12:39 PM.

9. Thanks to Sivadam from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred_Bester View Post
    Soulfish.
    I work for a local authority who provides SIMS support and training. On support side, we provide support via the phone and remotely support. We also have a training team who provide a wide range of SIMS training.
    Would you like further information?
    More info would be great. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it publicly. If you've got pricing structures they'd be great as well

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    I would have said going Capita Direct is by far the best method, though it may not save you money. It's worth looking at the level required, as you don't necessarily need the level that gives them remote access to your machine. The old LA support we had always wanted to remote in or come and visit. I've never been asked that here (remote / not visit! ). I'd say it's best to cut out the middle man.

There're plenty of county / LA support teams represented here, couldn't you offer the solution that EG is your central source of support (after checking on SupportNet too of course), followed by ad hoc from Capita or A N Other local team...?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm the opposite, I have had an excellent experience with my local LA. We have a very good support model in place and any holes in my SIMS knowledge is quickly covered by the guys and girls at the LA. If anything, I have learned a lot my SIMS knowledge from them.

Thank Post
    LA support can be awesome, but once you're happy with your system and how it works, usually the problems need to go straight to Capita, going via a middle man and their flowchart of death, is just infuriating and inefficient, but that's just my experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    For various reasons we opted out of LA Support for SIMS and moved to direct support by Capita.
    The support I have received since has been nothing short of excellent!
    I agree. Every time there are serios problems with SIMS, Capita logon remotely to our server and fix the problem in front of the person who created/affected (exams officer, attendance manager, etc). Nothing to do with the techinal guys anymore. We only ensure that SIMS is correctly installed on the comptuers, and nothing like Capita who actually created the software to support it. Their support is not cheap, but you do breath on relieve when they fix the mess within hours.

15. Thanks to maestromasada from:

Sivadam (18th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    LA support can be awesome, but once you're happy with your system and how it works, usually the problems need to go straight to Capita, going via a middle man and their flowchart of death, is just infuriating and inefficient, but that's just my experience.
    I see your logic, but Capita school support (Capita ESS) isn't the same people as who developed it Capita Children Services. So it's pretty much a re-branded LA, just scaled up a bit. They still have to go via the same processes as any LA. They just might be a bit more friendlier with them

Thank Post
    <Post edited for unauthorised advertising>

Please note that as per th AUP you agreed to, no company or organisation can use the forums in a commercial capacity unless they are a sponsor.

Dos_Box
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 18th October 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Thank Post
    We use Capita direct & they are normally pretty efficient at sorting out problems. I am just taking over the management of the SIMS system here, so have loads to learn.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I see your logic, but Capita school support (Capita ESS) isn't the same people as who developed it Capita Children Services. So it's pretty much a re-branded LA, just scaled up a bit. They still have to go via the same processes as any LA. They just might be a bit more friendlier with them
    I don't know about the names, i just know the people i deal with get the job sorted (mostly). they talk direct to product managers / developers. Who do LAs deal with? Direct to CCS or capitaess? The point i was trying to make was i used to always hear from the LA, well, we've referred it to Capita, or it's escalated to Capita, i don't hear that now, if they do it silently behind the scenes from one entity to another then that's a different thing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast