+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, How do you distribute an updated QuickLetterTemplate.doc? in Technical; As the title suggests, we're about to start using Quick Letters, so I've updated my quicklettertemplate.doc file to include our ...
    Thank Post

How do you distribute an updated QuickLetterTemplate.doc?

As the title suggests, we're about to start using Quick Letters, so I've updated my quicklettertemplate.doc file to include our letterhead and such like. How do I go about getting this updated file out to all the PCs? SupportNet isn't very helpful on the subject.

Thank Post
    Copy and paste to each station. Automate via script where you can.

I have constantly asked our County to get this sorted with Capita and have it in a central location but no doings yet. I don't understand the decision that a networked product that even uses a document server has a standard template distributed locally on to stations.

Thank Post
    Copy it to everyone's my docs via some clever vbs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I think it's supposed to be manual, as each user in theory can set up their own.
    There is info somewhere about a relatively recent change for use with terminal services whereby there can by a single one held on the server and others all share it, but i don't think that would apply outside of that scenario.
    I've just made one for our Upper School and was going to ask the lovely ladies in admin to copy it off my shared drive onto the local C drive.
    You could always send it to the PCs remotely with a batch file. In fact i might write a batch file for my gals so they just click on it and it will copy the file locally for them.

Thank Post
    I send this via a VB script accross to all our network computers via Group Policy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I think it's supposed to be manual, as each user in theory can set up their own.
    That's ridiculous, as the file is in C:\Program Files so making it manual totally ignores the way schools work, whereby a teacher uses several different computers. Nice one Capita. Not.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    You could always send it to the PCs remotely with a batch file. In fact i might write a batch file for my gals so they just click on it and it will copy the file locally for them.
    Batch scripts are no good, as that won't survive the PC being re-imaged. I'll write an MSI round it, and distribute that way.

Thank Post
    You can create mailmerge headers in the report generator if you want a school wide template.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I have constantly asked our County to get this sorted with Capita and have it in a central location but no doings yet. I don't understand the decision that a networked product that even uses a document server has a standard template distributed locally on to stations.
    I agree, though it's nice to have variants too; to save even more precious seconds we were thinking that each PC in the admin office would be responsible for a different quick letter, i.e. one for being late a lot, behaviour, uniform etc. So once i send them the basic they can customise for their own need.

Thank Post
    Would be nice if you could put one on the server that would get copied local on install.
    Also if you could redirect it to a shared drive e.g. my docs for roaming profiles. I thought you could do this actually.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    You can create mailmerge headers in the report generator if you want a school wide template.
    The mailmerge fields are fine, what I need to do is put custom headers and footers in the document, and change the font.

Thank Post
    I don't run SIMS but AFAIK here quick letter is for a generic letter home. Anything like lateness, behaviour etc, would be part of a report and that has it's own letter associated with it so can be customised accordingly.

As Enjay says, it is per computer, not per user, so fairly useless unless you were to decide you wanted quick letter customised per area a letter came from (so per department) & even then that would be less than ideal as people move computers. What about shared resource areas? Add to that we don't give access to C:\ to users so they wouldn't be able to customise it anyway.

It really is a <language Tomothy!!> solution that has had little or no thought given to it.

Ohh and add to that we have had problems where the macros stop working after an upgrade so we have to make a fresh install, copy the quick letter, add the header and footer back in and copy around everywhere.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 6th October 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Little bit sweary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    The mailmerge fields are fine, what I need to do is put custom headers and footers in the document, and change the font.
    We design custom Letter templates for our schools and they can store them centrally via the Doc Server. Then to write a letter they use the reports link instead of Quick Letter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    to write a letter they use the reports link instead of Quick Letter.
    We're looking for something simpler than that, this is a quick letter after all!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    We're looking for something simpler than that, this is a quick letter after all!
    To be fair, I think our soultion is better than quick letters anyway, as we can have custom letters already setup depending on the reason for sending them. Downside of our solution, is that thhey cannot be auto uploaded to the Doc Server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast