+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, How do you distribute an updated QuickLetterTemplate.doc? in Technical; Originally Posted by SteveB To be fair, I think our soultion is better than quick letters anyway I didn't say ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    To be fair, I think our soultion is better than quick letters anyway
    I didn't say your method was worse, I said it was longer and more complicated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    I didn't say your method was worse, I said it was longer and more complicated.
    Oh i know, i wasn't getting defensive. I just think Quickletters are limited in their usefulness as the user still ahs to type the bloomin thing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Oh i know, i wasn't getting defensive. I just think Quickletters are limited in their usefulness as the user still ahs to type the bloomin thing.
    Okay, wasn't sure of the tone :-) QuickLetters are more limited because the user still has to type the letter, although for our purposes that's actually more applicable. Detention letters and such like are still sent out on paper, so QuickLetters are there for the one-off instances when a head of year might want to write home, in which case a blank letter is what we need.

Thank Post
    People, you do know you can place the quickletter into the users my documents folder and SIMS will use it rather then default in the Program Files directory??

5. Thanks to matt40k from:

enjay (8th October 2010)

Thank Post
    I didn't know that, but it is easier to get the file onto the PCs as part of the install than to remember to do this for each new staff member. Also, some people would delete it from the MyDocs if they didn't know what it was!

Thank Post
    True, I'll get worried if they start deleting stuff from My Documents | My SIMS Documents.

Anyway, for me, I like having a default schools in Program files, a copy in a shared folder (read only for everyone) and a copy in everyone's my doc, that way, SIMS will use the default in my docs, and users can customise it. So the bursar has a different quick letter to the attendance officer and so.

Also keeps them out of the local disc, which like + I don't have to worry about backing it up.

Thank Post
    We're not in the place where people would start wanting different quickletters, although when we do, I'll definitely go with the MyDocs one now I know you can do that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    People, you do know you can place the quickletter into the users my documents folder and SIMS will use it rather then default in the Program Files directory??
    I said i thought that was possible. How does it work? It looks to My Docs first then if it finds nothing goes local, or do you have to remove the local one to force it to look at My Docs? I couldn't see any instructions but i was sure i'd read it somewhere.

Thank Post
    Looks for the my docs one, if it doesn't exist, then it looks at the local one. Can't find anything in the Capita documentation, or rather can't find where it says about it!

I found an old email refering to it in BETA (2009 August Update) - you have to place it in My Documents | My SIMS Documents, you had to rename it QuickLetterTemplate_local.doc. Having said that, I think they changed it back to the default for the actual release. QuickLetterTemplate.doc

11. Thanks to matt40k from:

vikpaw (12th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Looks for the my docs one, if it doesn't exist, then it looks at the local one. Can't find anything in the Capita documentation, or rather can't find where it says about it!

I found an old email refering to it in BETA (2009 August Update) - you have to place it in My Documents | My SIMS Documents, you had to rename it QuickLetterTemplate_local.doc. Having said that, I think they changed it back to the default for the actual release. QuickLetterTemplate.doc
    I was just about to click thanks and i got this error
    12-10-2010-08.24.02.jpg

When i came to post i thought i'd try a few different combinations first, and got one to work.

So for anyone else i'm on XP, Office 2007, with summer release [in case it matters], My Documents is mapped to a shared drive.

You need to name the file QuickLetterTemplate_local.doc and place it in the My SIMS Documents folder in My Documents.

There doesn't need to be a local one unlike the error message states, and you can delete them, so that it doesn't accidentally pull that one up.

As it sits in the root of the My SIMS Documents it is available to all SIMS users using the machine under that NT account, so quite handy if you have a shared admin machine with a generic logon.

Does anyone know if you can add other fields, i'd like to show the Reg Group, i tried some tags in various formats but it didn't really work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Does anyone know if you can add other fields, i'd like to show the Reg Group, i tried some tags in various formats but it didn't really work.
    It is mail-merging the data from the database, so as long as you know the field name, I don't see why you couldn't add it. Can't say I've tried though.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    It is mail-merging the data from the database, so as long as you know the field name, I don't see why you couldn't add it. Can't say I've tried though.
    I'm pretty certain that the fields are set to those shown, no more can be added. Vague memories from some Capita course/seminar.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I'm pretty certain that the fields are set to those shown, no more can be added.
    Well, that's naff! I don't see why though - you can chuck whatever fields you want in a customlettertemplate.doc and run a report into it, why would they intentionally code the quickletter such that you can't?

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Well, that's naff! I don't see why though - you can chuck whatever fields you want in a customlettertemplate.doc and run a report into it, why would they intentionally code the quickletter such that you can't?
    I believe the arguement went something like, 'this a a quick letter, if you want more design a report mailmerge'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I believe the arguement went something like, 'this a a quick letter, if you want more design a report mailmerge'
    That's a stupid argument. It should go "if you want a simple letter which is the same for all users and all students, there is a quick letter; if you want more, design a report".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast