+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Academy conversion worries [Solved] in Technical; Hi, Like many schools, our school has jumped on the Academy band wagon, and hope to have converted by January ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs down Academy conversion worries [Solved]

Hi,

Like many schools, our school has jumped on the Academy band wagon, and hope to have converted by January 2011. We already have arrangements for replacement for FMS which is "Academy friendly", however what I am worried about now is our SIMS database..

I have read that Academy's "must" have a new SIMS instance and cannot transfer data from the school to the academy DB. Under normal circumstances, this would be fine - set up a new SIMS db, get hired help in to manually enter stuff that couldnt be carried over. Fair enough - but what about those who use things like SIMS Learning Gateway? (And therefore Active Directory Provisioning?) I presume we will need to re-provision all 3000 accounts (including staff + students!)

Thank Post
    The ruling on this issue has changed and you can keep all relevant data i.e. the lot. You may even get to keep your DfE number. Please contact our service desk for advice.

3. 2 Thanks to PhilNeal:

Oops_my_bad (13th October 2010), zag (14th October 2010)

Thank Post
    One of our schools went to a new style Academy on the 1st of this month. The only change is to the School Name (and URN if this field is even filled in on their system)

The argument being, that these schools would not want to throw everything away for a fresh start, as their attainment, attendance etc, and associated process, would fall into the outstanding category.

The DfE might change this guidance when un/satisfactory schools start to convert.

5. Thanks to Banjo from:

Oops_my_bad (13th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys.

To be honest I still havent had a definite answer. Phil - I did ring the service desk as you suggested and asked if I could speak with someone, but no one ever got back to me. If we do get a new DfE number, how is this changed in SIMS? As I always thought the DfE number was tied to the database? Looking at it the field is greyed out too...

Thank Post
    We have a patch to allow the number to be changed. It also makes some adjustments to a few tables that are linked to the DfE number. If you drop me a PM I will make sure that someone calls you.

8. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

Oops_my_bad (13th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thought there were a number of problems if you changed the DfE number and kept your data, pretty sure I say a letter from Capita saying it's unwise and any problems caused because of it would be chargable?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by matt40k; 14th October 2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added document I was thinking off.

10. Thanks to matt40k from:

Oops_my_bad (25th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Our new style Academies that started in September kept their DfE number. The old style Academy, formed by the merger of 2 secondary schools had a new DfE number

12. 2 Thanks to splattthecat:

howartp (18th January 2011), Oops_my_bad (25th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Is there still the requirement for New Style Academies to have to relicence SIMS? I could understand why the Old Style ones did as they basically closed the old school and opened a new school with a new DfE number. But the New Style Academies dont change anything now, except the name.

@PhilNeal, do New Style Academies need to re licence and if so why? Also does it make a difference if they are SIMS direct rather than LA supported?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jayemm View Post
    Is there still the requirement for New Style Academies to have to relicence SIMS? I could understand why the Old Style ones did as they basically closed the old school and opened a new school with a new DfE number. But the New Style Academies dont change anything now, except the name.

@PhilNeal, do New Style Academies need to re licence and if so why? Also does it make a difference if they are SIMS direct rather than LA supported?

Sorry to jump in, but if their not ex grant maintained then, they will need to start selling body parts to afford to re licence

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jayemm View Post
    Not sure what Capita's motivation behind re-licensing is but we've had to handover the equivalent of a full time technicians salary to do this (old licence was bought by LEA).

And they had the bloody cheek to put the annual maintenance up too! :/

Thank Post
    I notice that there is no response from Phil on this, does this mean that there is no justification from Capita for doing this, but as with other suppliers they fleece schools because they can!

Thank Post
    If a SIMS Direct school, i.e. one that has paid for licences at the full price becomes an academy we novate the licence for a fee of £200. LAs bulk purchase at heavily discounted prices and the contract specifically excludes novation i.e. an academy in this situation will have to use some of the start up grant to purchase a licence if they wish to use SIMS.

A lot of work has been done to FMS and the Core modules to adapt them to suit academies - most of this work has been wasted however as the DfE has gradually reversed out most of the decisions that had been causing issues.

18. 2 Thanks to PhilNeal:

MISassist (3rd March 2011), Oops_my_bad (27th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I feel a FAQ coming on Phil

Are the LA licenses schools specific? IE if the LA has 300 schools, are they just 300 licenses? So if a Middle closes and a secondary opens, is the license "transferred" or would they need to get a new license? If it is transferred, what happens when a school closes? Is the LA refunded? Or does it just have a "spare" license which it can use for "new" school?

If the school stops paying annual maintainance, for say, 3 years, could it then pick it up again without re-buying the license?

Also what if the LA outsources the contract, could the license be transferred then? Or would they have to license ALL the schools?

What about if the school has a LA license, but buys additional modules directly from Capita? Can these be transferred, but the core SIMS license can't because it's a LA license?

And when is FMS getting updated to .NET?
    Last edited by matt40k; 27th January 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added about FMS.

Thank Post
    Matt, yes an LA is free to reallocate its schools within its domain. If the school buys additional licences at the standard price they can be novated. FMS won't go to .net - it will skip a generation.

Thank Post
    So if a school becomes an Academy it would have to re-license UNLESS it continues "support" with the LA, going by that logic.

22. Thanks to matt40k from:

LisaJMarks (3rd August 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast