+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Academy conversion worries [Solved] in Technical; I'm afraid that an academy is outside the domain of an LA and cannot run SIMS under the LA licence. ...

Thank Post
    I'm afraid that an academy is outside the domain of an LA and cannot run SIMS under the LA licence. It can of course continue to take support from its old LA and many chose to do so.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    We have a patch to allow the number to be changed. It also makes some adjustments to a few tables that are linked to the DfE number. If you drop me a PM I will make sure that someone calls you.
    Phil is this KB90486 - LA Utility to edit School Number (4321 edit) that you are referring to? If so it states it is only available to LA's but many academies are going to capita now for the support as the sponsors will not pay the extra. This has certainly been my findings. The 'patch' would be really useful for the new academies coming through.

Thank Post
    You only need to change your DfE number if you’re an old type (Labour) Academy and it's recommend you create a new database. New Academies you don't have to change the DfE number, you just change the school type in Schools details, no patch.

If you use FMS, you will need to create a new FMS database because of the large number of changes. It isn't the same as LA school, for example you your probably won't be having central payments unless you buy into a package from your LA or some like http://www.customerservicedirect.co.uk/education/. Also it's not straight forward to configure, at the moment it's a bit of a fudge job so you need someone like Capita or http://www.customerservicedirect.co.uk/education/ who has done this otherwise you'll be investigate a lot of time getting it setup and could have a lot of problems further down the time and a lot of Capita chargeable fixes.

PS: The patch regarding changing the code for LA is for changing the training database to the LA code. It's not for use on live systems. There is a patch for changing new schools code from 4321 (ie what you set when you're setting up a new school who doesn't know what the code will be), but you have to request that. Changing a live SIMS DfE number because it has been given a new one (ie has historical data), is likely to be chargeable and any problems will be chargeable - I'll dig out the document stating all this from Capita.

Thank Post
    Is it more expensive in terms of the annual support contract?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    Is it more expensive in terms of the annual support contract?
    Usually direct support is dearer than what you get from LAs so it depends what you need. There have been some recent threads on this topic.

Thank Post
    Does this also mean that i would have to change all licences and support contract for other software and hardware that the school has purchased if the school went down the academy route?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    Does this also mean that i would have to change all licences and support contract for other software and hardware that the school has purchased if the school went down the academy route?
    Its mostly capita trying ot get free cash everyone should threaten moving to another MIS

Thank Post

Walking through the swamp

It seems that the rapid change in the education environment is a pace that Capita are struggling to stay with. I am dealing with 12 academies either converting or under sponsorship this summer and there are no clear messages regarding sims.

Please capita, do a idiot guide!

Thank Post
    With regards to our charges our sales desk can assist.

I'm afraid the guidance that we are getting from DfE regarding the pupil database is that the DfE won't guide schools; they need to get their own advice about data protection law. Some firms are advising that academies should remove staff and pupils that have left which is hard work. Other firms are saying that all data can be transferred. I am trying to get better advice.

Thank Post
    I know, and in this fast paced environment, with Academy sponsors becoming as large as LA's we need to work together. I am trying...

Thank Post
    Phil, it's simple, they can keep the existing database, regardless of if they are sponsored or not. The only limit was your advice about changing the DfE no - which is now resolve - hurray! They have stated that they will adjust the Workforce census regards to the contract start dates - ie if you create new contracts or not - we create new contracts.

@techie08 You must purchase a new SIMS\FMS license if you have a LA license as Capita will not allow this to be transferred, even if the LA is happy to do so. Microsoft require you to write to them 1 week before the change over and they'll update all the licenses the schools hold, no charge. Each company will be different but 99% will allow it to be transferred, they may need a bit of "help" however

Phil - what's the deal with not getting the 20% rebate for doing front line support anyway?

12. Thanks to matt40k from:

LisaJMarks (3rd August 2011)

Thank Post
    It should be simple but some legal advisors are making it hard and schools are listening to them even though the advice is unhelpful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12