+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Schoolbase or ISAMS - what would you decide in Technical; We are an independant school and are looking to move away from CMIS. We have narrowed down our search of ...

Thank Post

Schoolbase or ISAMS - what would you decide

We are an independant school and are looking to move away from CMIS. We have narrowed down our search of MIS systems to either Schoolbase or ISAMs.

What we would like to do is get opinions from schools that are actually using either provider as to whether they would recommend it and what experience they have had from it. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    No experience of either i'm afraid, however i'm interested in any research you may have done to have narrowed down to those two.
    Which other suppliers did you consider (Capita, Bromcom, Scholarpack)? What were your reasons for dismissing them?
    I hate to start yet another discussion on who is better, but would just be interested in your findings. There was a thread a long time ago, comparing different MIS, i'll try and search it out.

Thank Post
    Thoroughly happy with SchoolBase. What's impressing me now is that new staff are saying how pleased they are with it, how muc better it is that (whatever-it-was-in-their-last-place). We haven't considered a move since adopting SchoolBase so I really cannot comment on ISAMS. I think the key point about the Schoolbase product is that the questions they ask in development are "what do schools want and need" and "how will people use this"; there is very little technophobe barrier. Service has been excellent; one one occasion it was merely very good.
    PM me if you want more.

4. Thanks to Ketlane from:

Roguesooty (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    School base is decent, we trialled it here but the admin staff prefered SIMS to it (god knows why as schoolbase were more willing to add extra features / take stuff away etc).

ISAMS - a school down the road has this and they have nothing but trouble.

SIMS, or Schoolbase would be happy with!

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

Roguesooty (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    The narrowing down for us was quite simple. The main MIS competitors out there, like SIMS, Bromcom, simply cannot provide a package that meets all our needs and they are also more focused on the public sector rather than the private sector. We then looked at what a lot of other Independant schools were using and the vast majority of schools were using either ISAMS or Schoolbase. In fact if you look at both websites and see the list of schools that they have it is like a who's who of independant schools. That really made our minds up to look at these 2 though I have taken a look at others but to be honest they do not come close to what Schoolbase or ISAMS can do and offer.

Thank Post
    Hi Nephilim
    Could you please PM me as I would like to ask you a couple of questions but cannot PM anyone until I have made more posts. Thank you!

Thank Post
    Roguesooty just for the record we have +500 Independent schools using our software.

Thank Post
    Hi Phil.

I apprecaite that you do have a number of Independant Schools using SIMS. I am simply saying that SIMS does not meet our needs and that because the public sector requires so much work and change that SIMS and also CMIS and other major providers have to spend so much time on keeping up with these changes and cannot dedicate enough resources to meet the demands of some Independant Schools. I also think that there is a fear of changing MIS systems as it requires such a lot of work and time. Therefore I think that it is often easier for schools to stay with what they have and make it work, rather than look for something else that more meets their needs. That is just the way I see it.

Other companies dedicated to only the Independant market are able to provide a more tailored and flexible solution and are starting to prove themselves very worthy of investigation. In our School we have had CMIS for 10 years and only now have we finally decided that it is time to bite the bullet and find something that can meet our needs. SIMS would have been a consideration given my own extensive background with SIMS but having seen what these Independant only companies can provide and services they offer it is very impressive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Roguesooty, all of my experience of the products I mentioned come from public sector usage, so I am not sure how much use I can be to you

PS

PM Sent

Thank Post
    Thanks for the PM. I should now be able to respond to it. Hurrah! any comments or impressions from anyone about Schoolbase or ISAMS is welcome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguesooty View Post
    Thanks for the PM. I should now be able to respond to it. Hurrah! any comments or impressions from anyone about Schoolbase or ISAMS is welcome.
    You've met the requirements, so should be good to PM now

@Phil - I must be on my 4th account manager by now, not even sure who the current one is...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguesooty View Post
    Hi Nephilim
    Could you please PM me as I would like to ask you a couple of questions but cannot PM anyone until I have made more posts. Thank you!
    For the sake of everyone else watching this thread because they're facing the same decision, please keep discussion in the open unless it involves confidential information (which means you probably shouldn't be exchanging it with strangers in the first place...).

Thank Post
    Roguesooty thanks for your reply and I'm sorry that we don't meet your needs.

One top ten Independent School has changed to SIMS in the last 2 months having throughly reviewed the market and we have a number of others on our books.

Thank Post
    How come Phil can plug SIMS at every opportunity, but last time I merely mentioned my company's product (on another thread) I got ripped to shreds? What am I missing?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdWhittaker View Post
    How come Phil can plug SIMS at every opportunity, but last time I merely mentioned my company's product (on another thread) I got ripped to shreds? What am I missing?
    Likewise, my colleague got lambasted for merely posting about a useful paper that happened to have our name mentioned once in the whole document. I can't see where Capita have sponsored this forum? I personally have ceased to get involved in any discussion for fear of the backlash I get when people realise which product I am involved with!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast