+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Are you using SIMS Lesson Monitor ? in Technical; As a side line, and something that has just occurred to me.....isn't there a danger of relying too much on ...

Thank Post

Re: Are you using SIMS Lesson Monitor ?

As a side line, and something that has just occurred to me.....isn't there a danger of relying too much on digital solutions ?

What I'm trying to say is that if there is a fire/flood/whatever, it's possible that the digital solution would be rendered useless. Should it be a part of the risk management policy that there is always a backup plan, especially when we are talking potential danger to life ?

Thank Post

IIRC, then by law there needs to be a sign-in fire book where all employees must sign in and out of the building

Not sure how this works with schools though...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Kiren - Ah I see - that gives you a global first lesson AM and PM. perfect for fire register yes. We really want to report on absconding students.
    ___

Thanks Phil - had a call today obviously prompted by yourself - extremely useful.

I was told about the extra functionality expected of Alerts - although we agreed this isn't quite designed for the purpose we wanted.

I was told notification of absentees was in the design specification for the new version of Lesson Monitor.

I was recommended a method to report on missing students - Attendance > lesson Absence reports ...these are a bit lengthy, and can take a long time to run, with a minimum of 300+ results, even in 2nd lesson, due to all the extraneous information.

The May update will see the data moved to SQL and available for reporting from the main interface, with a few pre made templates. I'm passing the information on to our Attendance Team to see if this satisfies them (boy they're hard to please!! )

Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal
    Mark, I'm wondering if you are using LM? LM has a local database to allow off-line working - the central database is not updated until a re-sync. The menu route Take Register records directly to the SIMS SQL database so info is available.

Reports should not be running slowly - if you have a case reference number I will get someone to follow this up.

smc

Thank Post

MR.M

Quote Originally Posted by amacken View Post
    We are currently using SIMS and Bromcom, but looking to the SIMS only route which will hopefully save a few headaches.

A good question from one staff member....what do we do when a fire alarm goes off ?

At the moment this is easy, we just take the bromcom handsets out with us, but with Lesson Monitor this isn't so (and I have no intention going down the PDA route and buying another module for what is essentially the same thing.

Anyway, any ideas for you users ? Do you simply take out a paper copy of your lists ?

Thanks
    WEe ditched bromcom 2 years ago for lesson monitor. No regrets. Bromcom had become too expensive. Everyone loves lesson monitor.What do you do when the fire alarm goes off....run !!!!

Thank Post
    One feature that would be great for lesson monitor is a Single Click Fire Register, this would automatically print the latest attendance information of a tutor group with an extra column for teacher to check against.

This will quickly allow staff to check who was missing without the need to compare to a absence report.

This was a very good feature of CMIS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    When fire alarm goes off all staff and students assemble at the appropriately marked areas in the school yard well away from the buildings, all form teachers are given a printed list from the attendance officer (she has a very fast HP4250 printer 60 pages a minute) and then they register the children via these lists to find out who is missing.
    All this can be done in minutes and is regularly tested.
    When we have the webparts for Sims the teachers will be able to log in to the sims via HSDPA mobile broadband and take registers the normal way using lesson monitor much cheaper than Bromcom and PDA route.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    When fire alarm goes off all staff and students assemble at the appropriately marked areas in the school yard well away from the buildings, all form teachers are given a printed list from the attendance officer (she has a very fast HP4250 printer 60 pages a minute) and then they register the children via these lists to find out who is missing.
    All this can be done in minutes and is regularly tested.
    When we have the webparts for Sims the teachers will be able to log in to the sims via HSDPA mobile broadband and take registers the normal way using lesson monitor much cheaper than Bromcom and PDA route.
    How is the printer going to work? The fire has burnt through the network cables.....

The best solution i think, is to have PDA's in docking stations that just sync every X minutes with the most upto date registration info. Fire alarm goes off, they are just grabbed whilst leaving.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    The best solution i think, is to have PDA's in docking stations that just sync every X minutes with the most upto date registration info. Fire alarm goes off, they are just grabbed whilst leaving.
    I know this is an important subject and a Health and Safety issue, but the cost of "x" number of PDA's sitting waiting for a fire drill sounds excessive to me. Unless you plan to use these PDA's thoughout the day for lessons.

I think there is a licence cost if you are to use Lesson Monitor with the PDA's also.

Thank Post
    I would check with the fire service. They will almost certainly ignore any records that the school has and search every room.

Thank Post

Teachers are mobile workers

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I know this is an important subject and a Health and Safety issue, but the cost of "x" number of PDA's sitting waiting for a fire drill sounds excessive to me. Unless you plan to use these PDA's thoughout the day for lessons.
    Teachers are mobile workers hence mobile device (PDA) makes real sense. There are now sensible cost devices on the market. Hence all you need is to use sensible thin client software to achieve the goal. Lesson Monitor is 'thikckest' there is - no good at all for this. Have a look at Bromcom's WinFolder which is the thinest of all avialable client software (not browser) for PDAs, Laptops. PE- teachers can run it over GPRS on smart phones. Also you will find a variant which now also runs on Linux and iMacs!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12