+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - upgrade from Microsoft SQL 2005 to 2008 - anything to watch out for?? in Technical; I've been given notes from the local authority on how to complete this but i'm a bit worried having never ...

Thank Post

SIMS - upgrade from Microsoft SQL 2005 to 2008 - anything to watch out for??

I've been given notes from the local authority on how to complete this but i'm a bit worried having never done this before.

Is there anything I need to look out for?

Anything I really need to do beforehand??

Cheers

Simon

Thank Post
    backups make sure you have a full backup!

Thats all I say you need

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We will be moving this way shortly. However our Business Manager has maintained links with our FMS support team and so they will be doing the upgrade [when I have installed the new Windows 2008 server]

Thank Post
    Do the backup.

Otherwise I've done more than a few of these and haven't yet seen anything to be nervous about. Bear in mind that the current SQL2K5 instance isn't going anywhere, so if you do hit an issue then everyone can just carry on using that current instance until you've figured out the problem. Implicit in the latter is that I haven't seen an SQL2K8 install break current SQL2K5. As ever YMMV, but I think to make this go wrong you'll need to seriously mess up the instruction reading part, or have an OS/system with significant existing damage => take a look around the event logs first.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    On my install, the old instance is there and running, but it's not possible to log in anymore. Everything has to point to the new instance. I think this is because i did a standard default migration, i.e. online. As opposed to the version where you take it offline and copy the db files over to new location manually.
    Nonetheless, it all worked fine for SIMs. I've yet to do FMS as want to have accounts people on hand to test it when i do.

Make sure you have the latest .Net 4 installed prior to installing SQL, then just follow the notes.

There are notes available from SupportNet, so it's worth double checking those against your LA, I used to find that my old LA / IT support tailored their own notes and there could be quite a difference in the recommendations. It's mostly just a wizard, and you run through the various options.

Good luck, not that you'll need it.

Thank Post
    Set the SQL2005 instance to local connections only and reboot it before the migration.

Stop any external services on the server that link to the database - groupcall/RM exporter etc as the migration may fail with these running.

Thank Post
    Hit an issue at the first fence!

Installation requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, so I install this (the full package), installation completes, start to run install again - error message stating that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 did not install correctly!

Have removed it, re-installed, re-booted, added patches as directed by Microsoft.......still fails.

It looks as though the Framework isn't correctly installed as earlier .NET installs in Add/Remove Programs shows components such as - WPF2, WF_32, WPF_1 etc

Wheras 3.5 SP1 just shows a couple of Hotfix components!?

Anyhow, I have just installed .NET 4 to see if that kicks it into touch - have scheduled a reboot to coincide with lots of finger crossing. I'll let you know how it goes....

If anyone else has hit this then please share...

Cheers

Simon

Thank Post
    Your mileage varied then.. sorry I haven't ever seen that with dotNet 3.5 SP1 , which mysteriously always works for me. There is someone's last resort dotnet removal utility out there but I have never used it and I'd have to be really desperate, exhausted every avenue, have a known good backup again etc. There might be some useful info on there in the meantime though. In your shoes right now I'd be scrutinising the dotNet 3.5 SP1 installation logs for possible clues.

earlier .NET installs in Add/Remove Programs shows components such as - WPF2, WF_32, WPF_1 etc Wheras 3.5 SP1 just shows a couple of Hotfix components!?
    You may or may not be missing something, but that's what mine looks like: dotNet 3.0 SP2 has the WPFs etc. 3.5 SP1 has three ordinary looking hotfixes (KBs)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Make sure when you Install SQL 2008, if doing the Full Install, that you set the instance to run as the Local System otherwise can cause issues with B2B tasks.

Thank Post
    At what point can SQL2005 be uninstalled?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread