+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, "Print Timetables" in reports menu - which permission(s)/key(s)? in Technical; This is driving me mad! All I want to do is add the "Print Timetables" option in the reports menu ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts

"Print Timetables" in reports menu - which permission(s)/key(s)?

This is driving me mad! All I want to do is add the "Print Timetables" option in the reports menu to a group, but can't find the relevant permissions/keys!

Anybody know what it is?

Is there a document anywhere that tells you which permissions are required for each menu item? I have a document showing which menu items are available to the default groups, but it doesn't tell you what the actual permissions are.

I've tried copying the "Timetabler" permissions and removing irrelevant keys but it's taking far too long to track down the permissions I need, and I'm getting really frustrated now [/rant]

Thank Post
    Try Curriculum | Timetable Printing.

3. Thanks to rpwillis from:

LosOjos (22nd September 2010)

Thank Post
    I haven't got sims in front of me as I'm at home but as far as I remember you also need to allow something like...

Curriculum > Edit Classroom Teacher

Its really odd as that then allows them to (not surprisingly) edit the classroom teacher... which is why I haven't implemented it yet!

5. Thanks to siuko from:

Thank Post
    I am not sure why you would want to use this facility and enable it for a user defined group of users. This is the old style of printing timetables!
    Why not use the new NT4 type printing instead? I know that some of these reports still need to be improved but they are now the default and, as such, are available to a vast array of users through normal permissions.
    The old style Print Timetables is going to be phased out anyway when the new style are finally sorted to replace NT4.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I am not sure why you would want to use this facility and enable it for a user defined group of users. This is the old style of printing timetables!
    Why not use the new NT4 type printing instead? I know that some of these reports still need to be improved but they are now the default and, as such, are available to a vast array of users through normal permissions.
    The old style Print Timetables is going to be phased out anyway when the new style are finally sorted to replace NT4.
    Isn't the new style timetable printing only available to the Timetabler / Curricular Manager? Which has the flaw whereby all the settings can be defaulted with a single click. I'm going adding people to my custom group that can access Print Timetables function for this reason. It's quite quick and does the job without the risk of the other routine.

Another reason is that for some reason some users have lost the Print button when viewing an individual student's timetable. Haven't worked out if it's a permissions thing or linked to Win 7 / Office 2010. Need to head over to SupportNet and do some searching.

Meanwhile, my custom group has the following:

22-09-2010-10.41.39.jpg

This is based on the fact they are also in our Classroom Teacher group. I did have some other additional permissions on it, then after a thread on SupportNet where i took the time to look at the list again, i removed the overlap between the custom group and the standard classroom teacher.

Hopefully that might work for you, otherwise try SupportNet.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Isn't the new style timetable printing only available to the Timetabler / Curricular Manager?
    NO!
    It is the Print Timetable Report that is only available to Timetabler and Curricular Manager! And these are also the very (and only!) people who can edit the new reports!
    As you say - see SupportNet and the Permissions Spreadsheet!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd September 2010 at 09:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Because the "Print Timetables" routine is more flexible and allows staff much easier access to the information they want. For instance, there was a report in Nova that gave you a grid with selected staff initials as columns, periods as rows and their respective classes populating the table. The only way we've been able to reproduce this report is messing around with "Print Timetables".

And before you say it, yes I know you can print selected staff timetables, but given the option between having 20 sheets of paper littering their walls or a single sheet with the aforementioned grid on it, guess what heads of department prefer? Nothing's simple!

I hope Capita implement all of the Nova style reports before they remove the "Print Timetables" routine.

Thank Post
    I realise that there is the anomaly of the Staff Initials/Names Key not appearing on the new Report. It has been noted. Hopefully a Polishing project will be forthcoming but I do know that these reports are still being worked on. One of the main reasons there is no Year Timetable Report is because the propsed one failed testing when I tested it with my data that has bands, sub-bands etc.
    I also agree that the default should not have been changed to the new system before the new reports were complete. I did not realise that this would happen. I really cannot remember now whether this report did contain the Staff Key at the Testing Phase. If it did not, then it will certainly have been recorded then!

12. Thanks to Sivadam from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    For ref:
    Finally got on to SupportNet and found the solution (KB102338) to my lost print button.
    The permissions required are everything under Curriculum - View Timetables , and from Timetable Printing - View (all), Edit (all).
    Following that advice, the print button is available, sends straight to printer then shows the config page available from the new timetables report menu, including the dreaded 'Default' button. ARGH.

EDIT:
    additional ref -
    @losojos - KB69657 mentions permissions for Print Timetables and some caveats.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th September 2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: addition

14. Thanks to vikpaw from:

LosOjos (27th September 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread