+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, How do you export SIMS users into AD? in Technical; Hi all Interested to see how people integrate new pupils and staff in SIMS with Active Directory accounts. We currently ...

Thank Post

How do you export SIMS users into AD?

Hi all

Interested to see how people integrate new pupils and staff in SIMS with Active Directory accounts.

We currently export a csv file from SIMS with data of new pupils, we then modify the csv file using concatenate formula to create username (year joined, form class letter, first initial and surname i.e. 10AJDavies) and set password to same as username. Using this csv file we import the users into AD using RM Management console.

But we are planning on moving away from RM and going vanilla so will be doing something similar with a csv file and bulk importing users into AD. Just wondering how others do it - i know some people are able to export SIMS data directly into AD without use of csv files? ive also seen this site Integrate Moodle, LDAP and SIMS.net - MoodleDocs but seems to incorporate moodle which at this point i dont want do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnallyfc View Post
    Hi all

Interested to see how people integrate new pupils and staff in SIMS with Active Directory accounts.

We currently export a csv file from SIMS with data of new pupils, we then modify the csv file using concatenate formula to create username (year joined, form class letter, first initial and surname i.e. 10AJDavies) and set password to same as username. Using this csv file we import the users into AD using RM Management console.

But we are planning on moving away from RM and going vanilla so will be doing something similar with a csv file and bulk importing users into AD. Just wondering how others do it - i know some people are able to export SIMS data directly into AD without use of csv files? ive also seen this site Integrate Moodle, LDAP and SIMS.net - MoodleDocs but seems to incorporate moodle which at this point i dont want do.
    We use Active Directory provisioning which is built into SIMS and provided for us by Swansea LEA. To be honest it is hit and miss whether it works and it was a lot easier to create accounts on our old RM network.

The ADP command does everything and sets passwords and email accounts and profiles etc.

Gareth

3. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

mcnallyfc (15th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi,
    I also export from sims to an excel file and manipulate the data. I then create a CSV file which I run with the powershell commandlet "New-ADUser" - Infact the sequence is this:-
    Run a VBscript to create all the shares, run the pwershell commandlet then run xcacls.vbs in another VBscript to set the userfolder permissions. I do it this way because server 2008 won't set users home drives when they don't exist (unlike server 2003).

Hope this helps

Peter

5. Thanks to Hedghog from:

mcnallyfc (15th September 2010)

Thank Post
    I export the new users into a CSV then open in Excel. I've already got the formula's set up to use dsadd, cacls and md to create the user, create their home drive and set the security on it. takes bout 30 minutes to create the users as I often need to do a little bit of editing (normally with Chineses pupils).

Thank Post
    Never understood the need to have a management tool do this for you. It only takes slightly longer to extract the data from SIMS to a csv file, concatenate a formula to generate user names and add a few things to the dsadd command and import.

8. Thanks to riffleman from:

Stuart_C (15th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    ADP comes as part of a SIMS Learning Gateway installation but i think is also available separately now. I don't think it's available by default in the basic package without extra charge.

If you don't want to do it manually, look into SalamanderSoft, which is one of a few companies that can automate such tasks for you, as well as doing other clever things with Sharepoint if you use it. Richard the MD is on the forums and easily found by searching.

Thank Post
    Salamander here. Salamander would get my vote as being the most successful software solutions we have deployed in this school. Not only are students and staff created in sych with SIMS start dates, it can create maintain and synchronise your class email enabled security groups. I can't think this would be possible any other way with our 600 odd classes and poor -SIMS administrator to IT communciation.

Richard is an absolute star too.

Thank Post
    I take a CSV from SIMS, adjust is a little to make the format just right. I then use a VBScript that creates the accounts, sets a random password, creates the home directory, shares it and writes the necessary details to a log file. When I get round to it the script is going to create their exchange mailbox also.

I also have a version of the script to create a single account, this is useful for the mid year starters.

In order to print the passwords I have a Word document which performs a mail merge on the log file.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I pull first name, surname, dob and upn number out of sims - I then send of to LEA who setup hosted services accounts. I then get the usernames + passwords and import them into ad using admanager plus

Toby

Thank Post
    add sql read only user to the sims db, then extract the data directly with a modified version of the script someone posted here to get sims2moodle via AD, also works for importing via an excel file for staff (easier than waiting for them to be added to sims for me)

Thank Post
    Like a lot here I just manipulate a CSV file and then use a script of some sort to import. I say of some sort because I like to change my mind every year to the method I use. Next year I will be using PowerShell as I will be trying to do more stuff in that VBS. Another utility I have used is Mikey Magic's Web Site - Active User Manager and this works fine (Win 2K3).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    ADP comes as part of a SIMS Learning Gateway installation but i think is also available separately now. I don't think it's available by default in the basic package without extra charge.
    It is available stand alone

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    It is available stand alone
    Any idea on cost?

Also for reference: SalamanderSoft can do pretty much anything you want, if they don't have a module they can customise something specific to your needs. There is one thing that you still need to use ADP for and that is to provision accounts to work with SLG. Capita wont allow your own accounts to work, however Richard tells me he can consolidate the provisioned accounts automatically with the regular network accounts, so that's a good thing. Just worth knowing.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 5th November 2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: good god - a typo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Any idea on cost?
    Licence is about £200 pa, installation (as it is essentially SLG anyway) is normal Capita £1000, module I think cost about £400. Very old figures from memory though.

Thank Post
    if you rearrange the letters r-i-p-o-f-f, you can get profif, which if you squint is easily mistaken for profit. learn something new everyday!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast