MIS Systems Thread, Client Not Responding Running Reports in Technical; Hi guys,
I thought I'd check in here and see if there is a known issue in the community before ...
13th September 2010, 12:43 PM #1
Client Not Responding Running Reports
I thought I'd check in here and see if there is a known issue in the community before I start harassing Capita.
The local SIMS client appears to slow to a crawl and regularly freezes when running or designing reports. The problem only seems to appear with reports, everything else is fine.
The SIMS server is practically idle and so is the client machine (dual core, 768mb, XP 32bit).
If this is 'normal' then how are others coping? If it's not then I think I might need to place a support call with Capita.
13th September 2010, 12:53 PM #2
What's the disc activity like? You could do with 2GB ram on the workstations. What's the server like? How many users etc using SIMS? What's the network connection on the workstation\server?
Thanks to matt40k from:
tmcd35 (13th September 2010)
13th September 2010, 01:38 PM #3
Both server and workstation looks pretty idle to me. I agree with the ram and see if I can get some in but barely over 600mb is in use. The server is new, dual core 4Gb 64bit v.fast hard drives. This is a new SIMS install and if there are 3 people actively using it at the same time it's a lot (this will change). Network connection - 100mbps on the workstation, 1Gbps on the server, again nothing else happening to get in the way.
The problem definitely looks like its at the client end rather than the server end. Maybe it is the ram? I'll upgrade one machine and see.
13th September 2010, 01:40 PM #4
Sounds like RAM. Which version of Office are you on? I noticed 2010 being rather slow with elements of reporting.
Thanks to vikpaw from:
tmcd35 (13th September 2010)
13th September 2010, 02:04 PM #5
One of the joys of being not supported.
Originally Posted by vikpaw
13th September 2010, 02:10 PM #6
We're using Office 03 atm. Still it wasn't getting far enough through reporting to worry about any Office version! I think it might have been RAM. I found a spare 3Gb and upgraded one machine, it seems better. With my thinking hat now on (should have used it early), Windows was showing RAM free but maybe it was not enough when the reporting module was asking for allocation. ie, I was looking at the RAM commit figures at the wrong point in the process and thinking everything was fine.
Time will tell.
Thanks for your help.
13th September 2010, 02:42 PM #7
Agreed, unfortunately my advice was not taken as the whole school 'had' to take the opportunity to move to win 7 with office 2010. I'm still on 2007 (only upgraded a few months back) and the server is staying on 2003. I'm also asking that anyone that designs reports has another machine with office 2k7 on, as i've found many things that don't work, like result tags, mailmerge and some reports!
Originally Posted by matt40k
By ajbritton in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Last Post: 3rd July 2009, 10:31 PM
By actech in forum Windows
Last Post: 16th December 2008, 12:25 AM
By steve_nfi in forum Windows
Last Post: 19th September 2008, 04:46 PM
By Jobos in forum Hardware
Last Post: 10th December 2007, 12:30 PM
By UKNGroup in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Last Post: 30th October 2007, 06:28 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)