+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Printing Timetables Formatting Issues in Technical; I am having some issues using the Reports/Timetables/Staff Timetable(s) function to format the TT. When selecting multiple members of staff,(e.g ...

Thank Post

Printing Timetables Formatting Issues

I am having some issues using the Reports/Timetables/Staff Timetable(s) function to format the TT. When selecting multiple members of staff,(e.g a Head of Department wanting all his staff TT printed on one page) I am finding it impossible to use the Print Preview formatting function to stop the TT from truncating onto the next page. I need to know if there is a 'fit to page' option or the best way to get all the TT on one page. Ideally I would like landscape, a list of staff names down the left hand side and a separate page for each day With periods along the top so that the HOD can see straightaway where each member of his staff are for example in Period 2 on a Tuesday. Thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Hi SimsKitten,

when you are viewing timetables in SIMS, on the right hand side of the screen you should see 4 buttons running vertically down the screen. if you click on the last of those buttons, you'll open up some additional page layout settings. From there you can edit the spacing between cells, titles etc. with a live preview so you can see how the printed version will look, you should be able to get it looking how you want from there.

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

SimsKitten (13th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Sounds like an old Nova style report to me. I'm still getting to grips with the new formats.

Thank Post
    Just been going through the manual, and they are Nova style. Pretty good actually, shame there's no global setting for everyone on layout.
    To get what you want Reports | Timetables | Selection Timetable then choose 'of a Subject' to choose the subject you want. That gives you the data, then play with the layout as LosOjos said to make sure it's landscape and the correct number of periods fits across the page to make it one day per page if that's what you want.
    hope that helps

Thank Post
    Have tried this and it works, thank you very much for your help.

Thank Post
    Glad to help

Thank Post
    This is being discussed on the Supportnet forums, and apparently you can force a global format.

If you set the layout as you want it and then click the "Save" button it becomes the default layout.
    However, if someone else subsequently does the same, it changes it globally; similarly, if someone clicks the "default" button, it resets it to the (useless in my view)
    default settings. Have tried this here this morning and it appears to work.

They key appears to be to make sure that the default and save buttons are not generaly available, but I haven't worked out yet which permissions
    make them available.

Thank Post
    As I have pointed out on SupportNet. - It does work!
    That is how the functionality is meant to work.
    Just don't click Default. Else you will be back to square one!
    And check the Permissions Spreadsheet for the Permissions! Timetabler & Curricular Manager!!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 20th September 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Thank Post
    My understanding was that it's not a global default, but a per user setting, as on page 106 of the manual.
    Having a default button that undoes all the hard work of setting it up with no warning box is just careless design.
    I need to check the permissions as i'd like this available to some staff without giving the Timetabler / Curricular Manager roles - if anyone makes a custom group pls publicise - must go check SupportNet in case it already is!
    EDIT: just to play it safe, checked as another user, and the settings the timetabler made are global, which means the manual is wrong.
    @linfit - it's unlikely there will be a specific permission that you can remove that will disable the default / save buttons.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 20th September 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: addition

Thank Post
    Correct!

The Manual is wrong.
    The Software works as per specification and is working correctly.

I am just surprised that Curricular Manager has permission to change it as well.
    You simply cannot have anybody changing the default Timetables that the Timetabler has set up!
    That would render the functionality useless!

The Timetable and Class/Group Reports are replacements for NT4 Reporting and, as such, must be controlled by the Timetabler!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 20th September 2010 at 09:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Linfit View Post
    This is being discussed on the Supportnet forums, and apparently you can force a global format.

If you set the layout as you want it and then click the "Save" button it becomes the default layout.
    However, if someone else subsequently does the same, it changes it globally; similarly, if someone clicks the "default" button, it resets it to the (useless in my view)
    default settings. Have tried this here this morning and it appears to work.

They key appears to be to make sure that the default and save buttons are not generaly available, but I haven't worked out yet which permissions
    make them available.
    Having followed KB102338 due to losing the Print button on the timetable screens, I found that all users now had access to the Reports | Timetables route - Yes very scary.

I subsequently went in and removed from the Curriculum | View Timetables permission branch the Design Timetable (edit all), also from the Curriculum | Timetable Printing branch removed the Edit (all) permission.

The result being that the Save button is now gone, but so far in my testing all users can access the menu route and carry out all the functions. They can hit the Default button and it warns about reverting to defaults and does so, however this is not affecting other users (so is not doing the saving part), so far for Teacher Timetables and Student Timetables, so i'm happy for now.

I'm not sure if just one of those permissions i removed would get rid of the Save button, i'm sure it might, but they sounded dangerous so i took 'em both out.

I don't think this would work for people using default permissions, but as we use custom permissions groups (a legacy i inherited), it's easy for me to remove the permission from my 'All Users' group, so everyone can view and print timetables and hopefully not muck up the view we've designed.

Hope that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread