+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Changing ports used by SIMS in Technical; Hi All, I need to be able to lock the ports used by SIMS to specific values. I've changed the ...

Thank Post

Changing ports used by SIMS

Hi All,

I need to be able to lock the ports used by SIMS to specific values.

I've changed the DMS to use a specific TCP port (rather than the default of http 8080), and this is working beautifully.

I've changed the TCP\IP protocols of the SQL instance on the SQL server to a static TCP port (rather than leaving it as dynamic), and this is also working beautifully.

However, when launching the SIMS.net client on an end workstation, it attempts to make it's initial connections to the SQL DB on UPD 1434. I believe (although i'm happy to be correct if others think different!) once it's then done this, it happily communicates on the static tcp port i've specified for the SQL server.

So my question is; how can I get the SIMS.net clients to start their initial communication with the SQL server on a specific port, negating the need for communications on UDP1434 ??

Thank Post
    Yep - the TCP Dynamic Port field is blanked, and the static port is set for the "IPAll" field (and the service was restarted).

Regardless of whatever the settings are on the SQL Server, when the SIMS.net client on the end machine is first loaded, it has no connection to the SQL database. It must therefore attempt to establish a connection when you login, on some port (currently UDP1434), so how can this be changed ?? I.e. it's a change\setting\specification at the client end that's needed. Almost something you'd add to the connect.ini after the instance name (e.g. "ServerName={IPAddress}\{InstanceName},{port#} "), but alas i've tried that, and it doesn't work.

Thank Post
    I believe the SQLTools.exe is only for SQLExpress, and i'm running Full SQL (also running SQL2008 not 2005, not that that should make any difference)...
    I've already used the SQL Management Studio to change TCP ports - under the "protocols for {InstanceName}".
    However, this is surely only changing the port SQL is "broadcasting" on from the server.
    The end client SIMS installation must be told somewhere how to connect to this. The connect.ini supplies the server and instance name, but not the port number. So I believe it simply uses a default of UDP1434 to make its initial connection, then changes to the specified port once it's "up-and-running").
    If possibly, I want to change that default initial usage of UDP1434, and I guess tell the SIMS installation that the SQL instance is available on my given port#, so it uses this port# right from the start

Thank Post
    Have you tried {IPAddress},{port#}\{InstanceName} ?
    Not familiar with SIMS these days, but an app I support here that uses ADO accepts IP,PORT as the address.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Many thanks for the suggestions, but i've now solved my own problem !! In case it's of any use to others, what I was trying to achieve was connectivity between a SIMS.net client, and the SQL DB, across a WAN with firewalls and routers in the way - therefore needing to lock down the port usage so the bear minimum of "holes" needed opening to allow comms.

Use the SQL Management studio (or SQLTools for Express) to bind the SQL instance to a given port - e.g. 5555. The SQL instance is then listening on this port.

By default, clients connect on UPD 1434 to the SQL Service Browser, which then directs them to the instance they've requested, and they then connect (on the port previously specified - e.g. 5555). However, you can use the client's connect.ini to lock it to a port (contrary to my previous thoughts!). If you specify "ServerName={ServerName}\{InstanceName},{port# }", the client will initiate communication directly with the SQL instance, negating the need for communications to the SQL Server Browser on UPD 1434.

Along with the 1 port you then specify for the DMS, you then only need 2 ports for SIMS communications.

Many thanks again for the help and suggestions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread