+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, Query, SIMS and access to DB in Technical; I quite like the idea, yes there are other minutely longer ways of doing the task with no app, but ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    I quite like the idea, yes there are other minutely longer ways of doing the task with no app, but admin, and teachers for that matter, are always looking for easier solutions. At my last school, they were always concerned with the number of clicks any task took.

Sitting in student reception shows why, they can be juggling 2 phones, 3 students at the window with lost whatevers, and have someone in the office having a plaster stuck on their arm. At the same time a teacher or manager is sticking their head in the door asking for some other info.

I can certainly see where automating these tasks is very handy. It's just like when i ring the pizza company and they instantly know my address and what pizza i like. Saves me quoting my address while they are only half listening while shouting at the delivery driver who just came in.

I was going to say, it would be relatively easy to write your own little app, but it takes time and some expertise so if a company will do it for you then great.

I'm interested to hear the cost...

I don't see that the back door approach is an issue as Phil has said Capita have no issue with that, so if it saves the company money and means their product is thus less costly all the better for the school. I would hope that for such a simple app, they merely charge a one off price, rather than a licence model, with perhaps an upgrade cost if the schema changes sufficiently to require a rewrite. [jinnantonnix - you could set up such a company with your skills ]

The only added complication with using a backup is that you'd need to automate the process of loading the backup on a daily basis.

Thank Post
    Sorry to dredge up this thread, but it seems to discuss a lot of what I need to know about.

One of my schools has recently bought a phone system that had "full SIMS integration". The idea being that when LSAs etc needed to phone for missing children and the like they could easily access the data from the phone. Unfortunately "full SIMS integration" appears to have meant "What's SIMS again? Oh, we think we should be able to knock something together. Or maybe you could just provide a csv with the numbers?".

So, from the discussion above, there are data protection issues with even doing the latter? It sounds like they should be able to produce something that runs locally - is this a good, or a bad idea? (Given that the head was expecting certain functionality from this - no doubt expensive - system).

...and if it's safe to let them go ahead, where can I find sims.rpt_vix_StudentContact_705?
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 5th October 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would people have to log in to the phones to access this information? If not, then it wouldn't pass muster when it comes to data protection.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Would people have to log in to the phones to access this information? If not, then it wouldn't pass muster when it comes to data protection.
    Good point - but how is this different to the current "look in the contacts folder if you can find it" method? (Which is probably bad, too).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Good point - but how is this different to the current "look in the contacts folder if you can find it" method? (Which is probably bad, too).
    What do you mean contact folder? You mean you have a printed file with all those details sat in it? That would be bad too!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    From what you say, your requirements are the opposite of the OP, who wanted to find a pupil from a phone number.
    Sorry! You're right (though it would be cool if it worked both ways) - the excitement over finding someone with the same phone/SIMS type query confused me. Thanks for the pointers, though I'm still not sure where to find the report.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What do you mean contact folder? You mean you have a printed file with all those details sat in it? That would be bad too!
    Ooops! I will point this out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123