+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Query, SIMS and access to DB in Technical; Creese, why are you being so negative? Stop making out that this concept is pointless - it isn't. Not to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Creese, why are you being so negative? Stop making out that this concept is pointless - it isn't.

Not to mention, this sort of technology need not be expensive at all. If you can get the caller ID from your PBX (if you use asterisk, super simple), pulling up a record of data is also very simple.

There's also no need for this company to be doing it via the 'backdoor' method of copying your database! Why are they not talking with Capita directly to develop this?

Personally, I've already built a system that works in the opposite way (ie. a simple website which allows a receptionist etc... to search for a name, and click on 'call' next to the parent's number), and I did it via nightly reports out of commandreporter. Doing this took a few hours of work.

Thank Post
    If you knew me you'd say I was quite the opposite! What I meant was it'd be good if it was something Capita put in. I am well aware it will cost from a 3rd party

I'd be shocked if our reception could manage to run a report, and i know our SIMS manager does not give them an awful lot of access.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Creese, why are you being so negative? Stop making out that this concept is pointless - it isn't.

Not to mention, this sort of technology need not be expensive at all. If you can get the caller ID from your PBX (if you use asterisk, super simple), pulling up a record of data is also very simple.

There's also no need for this company to be doing it via the 'backdoor' method of copying your database! Why are they not talking with Capita directly to develop this?

Personally, I've already built a system that works in the opposite way (ie. a simple website which allows a receptionist etc... to search for a name, and click on 'call' next to the parent's number), and I did it via nightly reports out of commandreporter. Doing this took a few hours of work.
    I would stop being negative if I was. As I clearly said why waste money, because it will cost, when the solution already exists. Run a report enter phone number details found.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    If you knew me you'd say I was quite the opposite! What I meant was it'd be good if it was something Capita put in. I am well aware it will cost from a 3rd party

I'd be shocked if our reception could manage to run a report, and i know our SIMS manager does not give them an awful lot of access.
    I doubt Capita will add this feature, in the short (meaning next 5 years) term. However, the infrastructure already exists within windows to do this via TAPI and various other tools. What'd be great would be if Capita created a module framework for SIMS.net to allow authorised partners to create modules that open *within* SIMS.net, rather than externally to the program.

Thank Post
    Training, or simpler the report is accessed from the home screen, one click. If they have access to pupil data they can report on it.

Thank Post
    No idea why they haven't spoke to Capita, I'm guessing they're avoiding any fees to directly touch the DB?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No idea why they haven't spoke to Capita, I'm guessing they're avoiding any fees to directly touch the DB?
    Yeah, I believe they'd need some form of license to develop and IIRC its something like £5k. But if you're a business, serious about making money and selling products, you do things properly. So, my impression of this company would be 'steer clear'.

Thank Post
    Yeah, I believe they'd need some form of license to develop and IIRC its something like £5k. But if you're a business, serious about making money and selling products, you do things properly. So, my impression of this company would be 'steer clear'.
    Yea, I don't like the whole copy the database thing. I like the concept though...

Thank Post
    So, my impression of this company would be 'steer clear'.
    Pots and kettles

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Pots and kettles
    You have made out that the concept being discussed is (quote) "Only one problem with that and that is what other useless software would the school spend their money on? Another solution to a non-problem."

I think the concept is a good one, but the method of implementation is potentially risky.

Thank Post
    You have made out that the concept being discussed is (quote) "Only one problem with that and that is what other useless software would the school spend their money on? Another solution to a non-problem."

I think the concept is a good one, but the method of implementation is potentially risky.
    The word 'concept' is distictly absent. However the word 'software' is visible.

It's a non-problem in MY opinion, as the solution exists in a simple form.

Thank Post

13. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

localzuk (27th August 2010)

Thank Post
    @dwhyte85 To clarify, I would agree that a solution that made a pupil's data pop up on the screen when a specific person rang would be great. I have seen so many of these salesmen who have sold unnecessary software to school, going over the heads of those that know better. I did read your first post and from that came to the same conclusion as Localzuk (it took a while after for them to agree with me) that the method was clunky and a simpler existing solution was already available. I was being positive, I even offered a solution, and not having a go at you but schools who are mesmerized by flashy demos paying out thousands for stuff they do not use or need.

Thank Post
    Don't start dipping in and posting it on a public forum, it's only 1 step away from dropping data!!

PS: I assume your running that as SA rather then a SIMS user, or have you create a specific SQL user?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    Quite true. It should come with big red warnings. Any database reader would be able to run the query.

I've removed the query.
    Don't view/select queries and drop queries require different levels of access?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast