+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, If You Want To Use Nova-T 4 Then Move To Africa in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If You Want To Use Nova-T 4 Then Move To Africa

As announced at Capita Conference last month Capita CS and Timetable Aid have teamed up to provide Nova-T 4 free to African schools.

Capita Children’s Services has announced that its timetable software, SIMS Nova-T 4, can be used free of charge by schools in Africa. The software has been donated to the charity Timetable Aid, and will initially be distributed to secondary schools in Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.

The idea behind Timetable Aid was conceived by the charity’s managing director, Tim Hicks, when he learnt of Capita’s plans to phase out SIMS Nova-T 4 in the UK and replace it with the current version of the software.

Tim Hicks, managing director of Timetable Aid, said: “In many African schools, a lot of time is spent planning the timetable manually, which can be an arduous task. In addition, the need to manage resources efficiently is perhaps greater than in the UK. There are a finite number of teachers, teaching tools and even less money. With this software, schools will be able to manage their teachers, pupils and rooms more effectively.”

Phil Neal, managing director of SIMS at Capita Children’s Services, said: “SIMS Nova-T 4 is a mini management information system (MIS) for schools as it includes class listings, pupil information and reporting facilities so for schools that have not used a MIS before it is the perfect first step. It is also designed to run on low spec computers which is perfect for Africa where computers in schools are often less powerful than our own equivalents.

“We are absolutely delighted to be working with Timetable Aid. They are committed to helping these schools make the most of their limited resources.”

Timetable Aid plan to distribute the software to approximately 2500 schools who will be supported by a volunteer group of IT support workers from UK schools and local authorities who will help the schools install and run the software.

Thank Post
    It certainly is a complete MIS - if you include all the other Nova progarmas in the suite. Do they all still work?
    NovaE for example?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe they plan to run nova-t in satellite mode what that gives you I am not sure.

Regards

Russell

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    I believe they plan to run nova-t in satellite mode what that gives you I am not sure.

Regards

Russell
    As far as I understand it running Nova in Satellite mode allowes you to run the datasets locally (e.g. what was in S:\SNOVA would be in C:\SNOVA .....) and allow you to work on the timetable without seeing the SIMS server
    I'm sure I will stand corrected if I am wrong....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rh91uk View Post
    As far as I understand it running Nova in Satellite mode allowes you to run the datasets locally (e.g. what was in S:\SNOVA would be in C:\SNOVA .....) and allow you to work on the timetable without seeing the SIMS server
    I'm sure I will stand corrected if I am wrong....
    That is exactly how NovaT used to run! One wonders if they are providing all the old Nova programs as well as NovaT. Or are they just dead and buried now? I look back at them with much fondness! They were way ahead of the field at the time I used 'em all (well not quite all!)!

Thank Post
    So essentially they are saying you can have the scraps from the table? I know Africa is a 3rd world country but do they deserve 3rd hand software?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It makes sense as more important things to spend money on. This way the schools out there get to deal with some complicated timetable issues (you think uk schools have it hard) with free software.

Regards

Russell

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scholarpack View Post
    So essentially they are saying you can have the scraps from the table? I know Africa is a 3rd world country but do they deserve 3rd hand software?
    Those scraps from the table happen to make up an excellent program!

Thank Post
    Deep the in wilderness of Africa we can see the infamous Sivadam, a rare breed of timetabler. If we look closely we can see he is currently doing what he does best. Building a timetable.

You got to think, power is a big issue over there, and if you can pick up a 233MHz which runs off battery and get powered by the sun\hand crank, I don't think you'll mind running the old Nova stuff. Besides, I can't see royal mail delivering the discs when the internet drops out!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Deep the in wilderness of Africa we can see the infamous Sivadam, a rare breed of timetabler. .......
    Not so much 'rare' nowadays - more like 'well done'!
    One only wishes one could be 'rare' again! 'Sigh!'
    Last edited by Sivadam; 18th August 2010 at 09:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Those scraps from the table happen to make up an excellent program!
    So why has it been replaced over here? Not to mention the fact it requires Windows to run on, right?

Jees, the sooner Ubuntu take over Africa and rid them of the proprietary 'hand that feeds them', the better.

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    It makes sense as more important things to spend money on. This way the schools out there get to deal with some complicated timetable issues (you think uk schools have it hard) with free software.
    Yes but it's only free in the sense of 'here have this old car, it's only rusting sitting on my driveway - by the way, if anything goes wrong don't come crying to me'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scholarpack View Post
    So why has it been replaced over here? ....
    Because SIMS bought out Nova and have developed it further so that it is more integrated with SIMS. NT6 is simply a Timetable construction package and all Class Groupings etc are now done within SIMS itself. Similarly, all Timetable and Group Reports are being moved into SIMS and so these are not part of NT6 either (or need not be in terms of the timetable reports - tho' Timetablers will still need these!)
    Previous incarnations of Nova included a fully functioning database which, for many years, has been able to import the pupil data from SIMS (and any other MIS or Pupil database!). The more powerful NT6 is not designed to do this.

As for NT4 rusting. I bet it continues to work for very many years to come! There are those in the UK that have been using it for Construction purposes for the past couple of years when it was not supported for this purpose! To stop them doing so the export to SQL had to be switched off.

One wonders why you are critical of a company like Capita trying to help out by donating this software. I assume there will be no compulsion on anybody to use it if they have access to something else! At least it will be available to them! And I admire those that have offered to help by supporting it. I was actually approached directly to do this but, for various personal reasons, I regrettably had to decline.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 18th August 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    God help Africa if they get gifted the rest of SIMS - the support is bad enough here. Imagine having to upload your database to Capita via 14k dial-up modem...

Thank Post
    Why does Phil Neal get out of bed? He gets moad at for doing a good dead by people who believe Ubuntu is the best thing ever!

15. Thanks to matt40k from:

Sivadam (18th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    God help Africa if they get gifted the rest of SIMS - the support is bad enough here. Imagine having to upload your database to Capita via 14k dial-up modem...
    Unfortunately I have to totally disagree with that statement.
    Support here is nothing short of excellent! Do you use Capita direct Support or a Local Helpdesk?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast