+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, If You Want To Use Nova-T 4 Then Move To Africa in Technical; Originally Posted by Sivadam Do you use Capita direct Support or a Local Helpdesk? Hey nothing wrong with Local Helpdesk...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Do you use Capita direct Support or a Local Helpdesk?
    Hey nothing wrong with Local Helpdesk

Thank Post
    Sorry Matt. Obviously yours is ultra efficient - as, no doubt, are those whose reps I meet at UAT.
    Are they all as efficient tho'?
    Judging from some of the comments I see on SupportNet School Forums, I suspect that some are not up to your illustrious standard!

Hey - have you noticed my Reputation Red Squares gradually disappearing? If I ain't carefull they will go green again! My reputation will then be in tatters!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 18th August 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Because SIMS bought out Nova and have developed it further so that it is more integrated with SIMS. NT6 is simply a Timetable construction package and all Class Groupings etc are now done within SIMS itself. Similarly, all Timetable and Group Reports are being moved into SIMS and so these are not part of NT6 either (or need not be in terms of the timetable reports - tho' Timetablers will still need these!)
    Previous incarnations of Nova included a fully functioning database which, for many years, has been able to import the pupil data from SIMS (and any other MIS or Pupil database!). The more powerful NT6 is not designed to do this.

As for NT4 rusting. I bet it continues to work for very many years to come! There are those in the UK that have been using it for Construction purposes for the past couple of years when it was not supported for this purpose! To stop them doing so the export to SQL had to be switched off.

One wonders why you are critical of a company like Capita trying to help out by donating this software. I assume there will be no compulsion on anybody to use it if they have access to something else! At least it will be available to them! And I admire those that have offered to help by supporting it. I was actually approached directly to do this but, for various personal reasons, I regrettably had to decline.
    Look - Nova T4 is worth nothing to Capita. They can't make any money out of it in the UK or anywhere else for that matter. Hence my rusty car sitting on the drive analogy. What would actually be philanthropic would be to give away up to date versions of SIMS and Microsoft Licenses on top of that. However I think I'm safe in saying that will never happen. In my opinion the IT support workers who volunteer to help would be better placed getting modern, lightweight software into African schools - with a large open source support base. This would bring development from programmers all over the world and easily installable updates. There is already timetabling software in FET etc which can integrate with MIS's. Giving out hand-me-down out of date software which relies on proprietary and expensive and/or bloated operating systems is a joke. Right I'll shut up now..should have seen the fanboys coming..

Matt - I didn't say Ubuntu was the 'best thing ever'. It's the closest we've got to an actual solution for computing in Africa though right now; have a read - I hope you can see the point?

Quote Originally Posted by timzim
    God help Africa if they get gifted the rest of SIMS

Thank Post
    You may be correct about what is best to use (though I would have thought a choice would be better made at local level!) but that is no reason for knocking those who do want to give away something that they no longer want to use.

Where would Oxfam be if people followed your principles?
    "Sorry I can't pass on these unwanted clothes because the elbows might wear out in a couple of years?"
    Last edited by Sivadam; 18th August 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post
    What's the big issue here?

Company donates useful software to Africa that they are very grateful for. Company gets grief for doing so.

6. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

Sivadam (18th August 2010)

Thank Post
    I think it's more a question of why reinvent the wheel. Nova-T is pretty much a standard tool in the UK education market, it shouldn't be that hard to then move on to the newer product. Don't think of it as old, think of it as cut down (like Windows 7 Starter). The hardware they've got isn't going to run the modern SIMS .net.

You think the "big" push was to give them One Laptop per Child (OLPC): Laptop, I'm sure Nova-T and Windows 95 will be a big step forward.

PS: Did I hear Win3.11 is no longer copyright'd? Thus "free"?

Thank Post
    Where would Oxfam be if people followed your principles?
    "Sorry I can't pass on these unwanted clothes because the elbows might wear out in a couple of years?"
    That is not a comparable analogy. A better analogy is the building of wells... Oxfam propvide the means to build the wells and then train the local folk to maintain that well and it will service them for years to come. They don't give them a second hand well and tell them to get on with pumping water.

I don't disagree that it is very generous of Capita to give this software to the African schools... it will come in very useful I imagine. I do agree with scholarpack though that providing modern, supported, software would be more useful in the long run.

Thank Post
    I don't think anybody would disagree with that last sentiment!

And that's me done on this Thread!

Thank Post
    It is supported, not directly by Capita, ok no active development is going on, but if they run into trouble someone will help, I'm sure Capita will help as much as they can if it comes to it. I can't see how you consider Nova-T4 less modern then anything else out there. You still timetable in pretty much the same way, just the tools that you use, use newer technology to cope with then new hardware.

I'm sure they won't care about not having colour printing or mutli-touch support!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    it shouldn't be that hard to then move on to the newer product.
    The grumpy cynic in me think that this statement is the key here... Much like Microsoft making WIndows 7 Starter in order to try to push their way into the market, a cheap/free product will start them on the trail to what we have here - a single supplier dominated market.

But then that's just the cynic in me.

You can't knock them for it though! That's how businesses run. No-one would think twice about Google giving away equipment or connectivity to groups, but the only reason they're doing it is that it'll help their bottom line at some point.

Thank Post
    That's why education gets a big Microsoft discount!! Forward thinking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    That's why education gets a big Microsoft discount!! Forward thinking.
    Yup. Get the kids used to MS Windows, get their parents buying Windows and Office - set them up for a life full of MS software.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Is this still going on? Couldn't find the timetable org on google and the emails i had for them don't work anymore.

Thank Post
    Pretty sure I'm still hearing of people going over to Africa to save the world, one timetable at a time.

Thank Post
    @creese might know thinking about it...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12