+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Deploying SIMs in Technical; I'm attempting to deploy SIMs, I've got a method working yet as I'm not a user of SIMs and not ...

Thank Post

Arrow Deploying SIMs

I'm attempting to deploy SIMs, I've got a method working yet as I'm not a user of SIMs and not many folk are about I'm unsure if what I am installing includes everything.

Basically the install is on workstations for teachers to use (they don't need anything like FMS or Nova-T) so I'm installing "SIMApplicationSetup.exe" and copying the connect.ini file into the relevant location. I'm also setting staff permissions over the registry / SIMs folder (basically as simsperm.bat does) but via Group Policy.

SIMs appears on the machine & I'm able to login, am I missing anything or does the procedure above sound common / normal?

Thanks as always guys!

Andy Whitlock

Thank Post
    Really should run simsinst, otherwise you'll need to run .NET 2, SIMSManualSetup etc manually, but other then that, that sounds fine. Note it'll prob install them first time you run SIMS (I think).

Other then that it sounds ok, at least until SOLUS3 p2 comes out

Thank Post
    I'm attemping to automate this process, .net is on all machines (WSUS). I see some automated routines run SIMSInfrastructure.exe, SIMSApplicationSetup.exe, SIMSManualSetup.exe, SIMSAMPARKSetup.exe - yet I've been advised I should only need SIMSApplicationSetup.exe for a standard client - wondering if this is correct or may cause a part / restricted install!

When is the ETA of SOLUS3 P2?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_whitlock View Post
    When is the ETA of SOLUS3 P2?
    November (Autumn Release) 2010 for general release! Providing it goes thro' the Field Trial with no major issues.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 17th August 2010 at 02:49 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd add SIMSManualSetup (Help and How to docs) and SIMSAmparkSetup (Assessment Stuff) to what you're doing and providing you have the required infrastructure on workstations then I'm sure you'll be OK.

Thank Post
    Hi superfletch,

I've installed "SIMSApplicationSetup" which installs fine and on first load (of sims) it seems SIMSAMPARKSetup is installed. Regading help & how to docs, how can I check to see if they're installed too? The Help menu functions as I'd expect.

Thank Post
    To check for documentation being ok open sims and on the homepage go to documentation near the top right.

If this opens ok and you can navigate around the documentation centre then you're OK. (NB - you need the FULL adobe reader and not the light version).

To check for Assessment (AMPARK) stuff. Go to "Focus | Assessment | Marksheet Entry" and then make sure it opens as normal. If AMPARK has not been run then it will prompt to update.

Thank Post
    Just for information - these were all ok. So installing "SIMSApplicationSetup" on it's own and setting the permissions with a script allowed the other chained packages to install when SIMs was first opened by the user!

Thank Post
    Just for information - these were all ok. So installing "SIMSApplicationSetup" on it's own and setting the permissions with a script allowed the other chained packages to install when SIMs was first opened by the user!
    One way to nark off the staff I guess. Is the SIMS directory set correctly in the sims.ini out of interest?

Thank Post
    Nark staff off? Seems to have upgraded everyone fine today with not complaints. The sims.ini has the correct DIR in it & all worked fine

Thank Post
    andy can i ask what exactly are the gropu policy elements part of the permissions? did you need to create a ADM template?

Thank Post
    No special ADM template, for a GPO over all workstations (Computer Configuration; Policies; Windows Settings; Security Settings; File System) I set permission to write access over %PROGRAMFILES%\SIMS for my "All Staff" user group. Coupled with permission to %SystemRoot%\SIMS.INI - upgrades seem to be error free.

Thank Post
    Nark staff off?
    They have to sit and wait for the bits you didn't install to install (central setup etc).

Thank Post
    Matt; they're used to having to wait for previous technicians to get round to their computer to run the upgrade for them. An extended load time (upto 5 minutes) for an upgrade is great for them - I guess it's all down to managing expectations!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread