+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS SQL 2005 --> 2008 migration in Technical; I'm just in the planning stages of moving SIMS from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 (both full versions not express). ...
    Thank Post

SIMS SQL 2005 --> 2008 migration

I'm just in the planning stages of moving SIMS from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 (both full versions not express). At one point the documentation says "In order for the redirection service to operate, SQL 2005 must be left running for a suitable period of time, i.e. until all users have logged into SIMS." As I'm performing the upgrade early in the summer holiday most staff won't login for a long time. How essential is this part of the process and what does it actually change for each user?

If you need more details ask away.

Cheers.

EDIT

Oh I think I've found an explanation now it remaps the connect.ini file to the new instance name.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 26th July 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    That's what i was going to say. I couldn't see much that the redirection does because if you do a server to server migration, you need to alter the Docstorage location, and also change the connect.ini files.
    so if you have the shared connect.ini setup, you only need to change it in one place.
    i guess the redirection service is that if you have users with their own connect.ini that points to the old server instance, then it triggers something that points to the new server and changes the connect.ini, but if you make sure they are changed it should be fine, or worst case someone can't log in and needs a new connect.ini

that's how i've read it anyway.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

cookie_monster (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Ok I'm pretty sure that all of our stations use the connect.ini file that's on the S:\ drive so that shouldn't be a problem. If I install SQL 2008 alongside 2005 and then use the migration tool but don't allow it to install SQL express that all that should be left to do is remap the document store. Is that right?

Thank Post
    the redirect service should do that for you and it's a one off thing, but i may be mistaken on that part.

Thank Post
    Ok cheers, I'll be having another read through the documentation before beginning

Thank Post
    Morning All,

I've just migrated from Sql 2005 to Sql 2008 with no problems. Ive also just updated to summer release.

My question is, we have SLG, what do I need to alter for it to work now I've migrated to SQL 2008? It's hosted by Capita. Is there a config file on my server I need to point to the 2008 sql location?

Cheers
    Dan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Man_Dan View Post
    Morning All,

I've just migrated from Sql 2005 to Sql 2008 with no problems. Ive also just updated to summer release.

My question is, we have SLG, what do I need to alter for it to work now I've migrated to SQL 2008? It's hosted by Capita. Is there a config file on my server I need to point to the 2008 sql location?

Cheers
    Dan
    When we migrated last February it coincided with a move to a new SIMS server at the same time. We had to get Capita to do the reconfiguration on the new server. We are Capita SLG Hosted as well and we obviously do not have the Passwords to Capita's servers. We were charged, but that may have been more to do with moving SIMS Servers at the same time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Man_Dan View Post
    Morning All,

Cheers
    Dan
    Contact Capita asap. ADP will need reconfig at the very least. In hosted environments is that off site too, or is the service run locally? If it's local, you may be able to change something.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread