+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Creating a new database in Technical; I am trying to create a new SIMS database and when folowing the instructions from the simsinstallautumn2009 iso I am ...
    Thank Post

Creating a new database

I am trying to create a new SIMS database and when folowing the instructions from the simsinstallautumn2009 iso I am getting the following error when trying to configure the database

Database Configuration Failed
    Error when Configuring Database: The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION.

This is with SQL 2008 installed via the capita installers and we have raised a call through Supportdesk but are waiting for a call back.

anyone seen this or able to give me any advise?

Thank Post
    Use the spring installable.

3. Thanks to matt40k from:

Mcshammer_dj (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Use the spring installable.
    thanks mate just got you email.

GCB

Thank Post
    Hello,

Getting the same error when trying to install the Spring 2010 install on a new server:

"Error when Configuring Database: The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION."

Any help gratefully received!

Thank Post
    Are you restoring a database or doing a fresh install? If so, I have had that error (when using SIMS) and it was always because "Validate Memberships" had to be run

Thank Post
    Hi

I've been doing a fresh install and getting this error message. Just as a test, I installed a brand new VM with Windows Server 2003 R2 and downloaded all critical updates. I didn't install anything else, as I wanted to check whether any other apps on the production server were causing the problem. I then ran the install from the Spring 2010 iso, and got exactly the same result. Despite getting the error message during installation, Sims runs, but it tells me I need to run the configuration utility. Trying to rerun this gives the same SQL error. Seems strange that it doesn't install straight "out of the box". Can't see how Validate Memberships can be relevant to a fresh install. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    During install do you take the option to attach your db file?
    I always just leave defaults and let it create a new db. Then upgrade to the latest version before adding my db backup.
    Never had a problem with doing a clean install.

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

waldronm2000 (23rd May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks Vikpaw. I just stuck with the defaults all the way through, as wanted to rule out any complications.

Having had a look on SupportNet I found this message can be caused by insufficient RAM. I've upped the spec of my VM and trying again now.

Thank Post
    Success! Just needed more RAM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waldronm2000 View Post
    Success! Just needed more RAM.
    I don't believe you! How much did you give it to begin with? I'm sure i've done an install with 2GB on my laptop.

Thank Post
    Well, I only have 2GB on my laptop, and this was a VM, so I started with 512MB. I figured (stupidly) it'd tell me if it needed more! For what I'm planning, I need 3 virtual SIMS servers running. 512MB wasn't enough, but 768MB worked ok. I've ordered a 4GB upgrade kit for my laptop.

Thank Post
    Makes sense if the memory was that low, that it struggled to load and manage everything it needed to.
    Is that +4GB or replace the 2 with 4? I replaced the 2 on my macbookpro to 4, and it barely could manage 1 VM server on vmfusion at a time. I wouldn't recommend trying to run them concurrently.
    Does it have to be on your laptop? can't you do it on a desktop or ideally server, and then just connect to it via the laptop?

Thank Post
    4GB to replace the 2GB, unfortunately. I'll probably end up doing this evenings and weekends (investigating school merging), so it'll have to be on my laptop if at all possible.

Thank Post
    If you're doing it at home, i'd still consider using a home server or something that you can load up with more RAM. I ran a server on my macbookpro for ages, but it lagged significantly, and that was with OS X. I can't imagine how a PC would cope. I ran a few servers off my PC using VMWare server and that was horrendous, but never more than one at a time.

4GB isn't really that much if you have to share it, unless you've got a really good VM infrastructure, i know somewhere that VMWare is managing hundreds of sims instances with only 8GB, but it's a full install, with decent memory management, and probably deduplication working extremely well.

If you can i'd prefer server side install, so you're not using the OS that it's based on at the time, and then just remote access it if you can. Logmein or such like.

Try it on your laptop, it might be with the latest tech, things run different. The new macbookpro i7, is quad core, and is shiny and new

Thank Post
    Only testing a concept currently, will be able to use real hardware when it comes to doing the job for real.

Current problem is I'm trying to replicate the school's current SIMS database in a VM, so now that I've got the VM working I've got a backup of the sims.mdf and sims.ldf files from the live server. When I try to attach these to the VM, it works fine but when I run SIMS I get an incompatible database error. I guess this is because VM has fresh install Spring 2010 release, while live server is up to date. I don't want to run Solus on the VM if I can avoid it, as this may affect the live server when it next runs Solus. I've copied the relevant updates into the Setups folder in the VM, but is there any way to get them to install without running Solus?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast