+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Summer Release and SQL 2008 Upgrade in Technical; I'll be installing both of these later in the summer - does it matter which way round I do them? ...
    Thank Post

Summer Release and SQL 2008 Upgrade

I'll be installing both of these later in the summer - does it matter which way round I do them? We're currently on 7.124 so SQL 2008 can go on already, but I wanted to check in case there were any Funnies which meant it was better to do a particular one first.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Doesn't matter at all. We have done about 90 migration on 7.128. we will be doing some more in September which will be on Summer release. Thats Express but we are doing several Full SQL too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    @Creese; - have you done migrations from one server to another? I heard that it's best to do it in situ then move the db to a clean server after.

Thank Post
    This is causing major hassle for us...

• Ideally, we need to migrate to a new server.
    • Do I then run the upgrade or do it prior to migrate?
    • I have to find time to do this between data entry, exam inputting and exporting & roll over.
    • SIMS 'manager' not available
    • Weekends not an option

Bullet points 1 & 2 are pretty much easy to do, the problem is getting SLT to see the importance in this! Instead of this, that, the other needs to be done first... I don't know what effect the SIMS upgrade will have on any of bullet point 3... my role defines I don't need to, that the SIMS manager should know. From experience of trying to 'help', i get told to get back to where I belong, in the server room - that's pretty much the attitude with the SIMS manager who is 100% not technical.

Thank Post
    i think @dwhyte85; that it doesn't matter which order you do it.

When you say migrate i take it you mean migrate to a physical new server that is windows 2008 and sql 2008 from an old win2k3 or some such...?

i've just applied the summer update, and mostly things are fine, now i'm trying to sort out the migration to sql 2008, and then will look at moving it to another physical server on windows 2008.

i went for the update first on the grounds it as a task is most urgent, so we are up to date on the system side. i missed out spring and went straight to summer from autumn update.

next i need to get to sql 2008, but again, the ultimate deadline will be october, so worst case scenario i will do it after summer hols but before start of next term.

physically moving server to a win2k8 would be nice but it's not urgent at this stage.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    @Creese; - have you done migrations from one server to another? I heard that it's best to do it in situ then move the db to a clean server after.
    All of ours have been on old servers, glorified PCs really.

EDIT: Just read another reply from you. By 'migrate' I understand and meant migrate SQL from 2005 to 2008.

Thank Post
    I was told (by Sims Support) to do the Summer upgrade first then do the migration but I don't think it matters too much

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    All of ours have been on old servers, glorified PCs really.

EDIT: Just read another reply from you. By 'migrate' I understand and meant migrate SQL from 2005 to 2008.
    yes it's confusing because many people when they talk of the migrate from SQL 2005 to 2008, also want the new SQL 2008 to be on a Windows Server 2008 box, which it doesn't have to be.

I was referring to in the documentation it mentions doing an advanced migration such that you move the DB from one physical server to another, regardless of the OS. I was thinking about doing this. However, due to time contraints am going to do it in situ now, and then move to a different server with Win 2k8 later on.

Thank Post
    i think @dwhyte85; that it doesn't matter which order you do it.

When you say migrate i take it you mean migrate to a physical new server that is windows 2008 and sql 2008 from an old win2k3 or some such...?

i've just applied the summer update, and mostly things are fine, now i'm trying to sort out the migration to sql 2008, and then will look at moving it to another physical server on windows 2008.

i went for the update first on the grounds it as a task is most urgent, so we are up to date on the system side. i missed out spring and went straight to summer from autumn update.

next i need to get to sql 2008, but again, the ultimate deadline will be october, so worst case scenario i will do it after summer hols but before start of next term.

physically moving server to a win2k8 would be nice but it's not urgent at this stage.
    Thanks, I will apply the update this weekend. I will then do the SQL 2005->2008 upgrade THEN migrate to a new server, it could probably stay on our 2003 box with a bit more RAM but... I have a newer server for it, may as well make use of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    Thanks, I will apply the update this weekend. I will then do the SQL 2005->2008 upgrade THEN migrate to a new server, it could probably stay on our 2003 box with a bit more RAM but... I have a newer server for it, may as well make use of it.

I would do the update. The do the SQL2008 migration and the server move in one go.

Basically, ask for the latest SIMS installable disc, install it on the new server, don't attach the database. Deattach it from the old server, copy the SIMS.mdf and SIMS.ldf to the new server run the SQL2008migration tool and click the advanced option and select the SIMS.mdf and continue as normal though the tool. You'll need to update the connect.ini by hand.

Should save you a bit of work.

Thank Post
    Will it affect exam entry or rollover... I can't do it until the end of August because of stupid planning by SLT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I would do the update. The do the SQL2008 migration and the server move in one go.

Basically, ask for the latest SIMS installable disc, install it on the new server, don't attach the database. Deattach it from the old server, copy the SIMS.mdf and SIMS.ldf to the new server run the SQL2008migration tool and click the advanced option and select the SIMS.mdf and continue as normal though the tool. You'll need to update the connect.ini by hand.

Should save you a bit of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    Will it affect exam entry or rollover... I can't do it until the end of August because of stupid planning by SLT.
    It shouldn't affect anything, but as with most things, you just need to allow time for things not going to plan. That's why i'd prefer the doing it in stages method.
    I was about to do my migration and then ended up on the phone to Capita fixing a different issue that came about from the summer upgrade, and now they need my data, so i've delayed the migration.
    Prerequisites that will save time will be to ensure you have Windows Installer 4.5 downloaded on the server for the sql 2k8 install. Also make sure the .net framework is up to date, you can put 4 on now ready for solus3 and discover.

Thank Post
    It shouldn't affect anything, but as with most things, you just need to allow time for things not going to plan. That's why i'd prefer the doing it in stages method.
    I was about to do my migration and then ended up on the phone to Capita fixing a different issue that came about from the summer upgrade, and now they need my data, so i've delayed the migration.
    Prerequisites that will save time will be to ensure you have Windows Installer 4.5 downloaded on the server for the sql 2k8 install. Also make sure the .net framework is up to date, you can put 4 on now ready for solus3 and discover.
    SOLUS 3b actually comes package with the appropriate infrastructure and so it will install .net4 for you (both on Deployment Server and on Clinets). Obviously it then will take longer to run though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread