+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Which one to go for? in Technical; I would go for SIMS... personally because it does the job you need it to do and our LA supports ...

Thank Post

Re: Which one to go for?

I would go for SIMS... personally because it does the job you need it to do and our LA supports it!! And we are very happy with it!!!

SIMS is getting better every time a new release comes out... - I have found in experience a MIS on a web platform can be tedidious.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiran
    I would go for SIMS... personally because it does the job you need it to do and our LA supports it!! And we are very happy with it!!!

SIMS is getting better every time a new release comes out... - I have found in experience a MIS on a web platform can be tedidious.
    How much did Capita pay you for that post?!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box

I want to know too!!!! :violent3:

Thank Post

I really like SIMS too but perhaps that's because I have never worked on another MIS. My Brother's school uses CMIS and he has written a lot of his own code to pull out sql data and link in with it. It does look good, and yet I know personally at least one school who have done the whole CMIS thing and found the softare to be full of bugs, and the suport to be abismal. <Stewart> (Thats was a few years ago now, perhaps they've got their act together?)

The best thing going for SIMS has been the support, but I speak of it in the past tense. Since Capita cetralised their help line with local support desks now taking calls from all over the country (each support centre specialized in different areas of SIMS) in my opinion this has been a step backward in service. However, I know this depends on where you are because some local help desks are better than others. Ours here in carlisle have been fantastic and still are, but they have to work by the system now and so if I have a problem, I have to ring the national line and hope that they pass it on to the local lads here!

The point of the centralisation was to speed up support - capita claim that 70% (if I remember correctly) of calls will be solved on the initial call. This may be true of schools without a knowledgeable SIMS person in school, but for me, I only ring up if it is quite an indepth question, so my calls usually always get logged and I end up waiting days for an answer. This can be very frustrating when I know their are individuals who would know the answer straight away at my local helpdesk.

Overall though, SIMS is getting better although they are taking their time over it, something which I am prepared to wait for if they get it right.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    The best thing going for SIMS has been the support, but I speak of it in the past tense. Since Capita cetralised their help line with local support desks now taking calls from all over the country (each support centre specialized in different areas of SIMS) in my opinion this has been a step backward in service. However, I know this depends on where you are because some local help desks are better than others. Ours here in carlisle have been fantastic and still are, but they have to work by the system now and so if I have a problem, I have to ring the national line and hope that they pass it on to the local lads here!
    SNAP!! Centralisation has been a retrograde step as far as I'm concerned though I'm sure it does make sense to Capita!

Thank Post

I really like SIMS too but perhaps that's because I have never worked on another MIS. My Brother's school uses CMIS and he has written a lot of his own code to pull out sql data and link in with it. It does look good, and yet I know personally at least one school who have done the whole CMIS thing and found the softare to be full of bugs, and the suport to be abismal. <Stewart> (Thats was a few years ago now, perhaps they've got their act together?)
    Agreed that CMIS is full of bugs, we use it here, and I have written a bunch of php/sql scripts to get required information directly out of the database.

I'm considering making our scripts into the beginnings of an open source project. Any interest ?

What I'd really like to see is some sort of FLOSS MIS, schooltool is a good start, how many schools are there in the UK ? This could probably be developed for a 10th of the cost that we all currently pay.

And if the DFES wanted changes then they could implement a module themselves.

Any back to reality

Thank Post

What about Pheonix & Bromcom?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

bromcom...

hahahahahahahahahahaha.
    hahahahahahaha

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

ha.

but in all seriousness we used to have it here, and it was AWFUL. I'd rather replace my windows clients with OS2 then go back to bromcom.

We're running SIMS now, and sure its got its headaches but its a hell of a lot better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT
    SNAP!! Centralisation has been a retrograde step as far as I'm concerned though I'm sure it does make sense to Capita!
    I suppose that might be one of the difference round here ... our local team, although owned by Capita, are still seperate and we have a really good relationship with them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by budgester
    Agreed that CMIS is full of bugs, we use it here, and I have written a bunch of php/sql scripts to get required information directly out of the database.

I'm considering making our scripts into the beginnings of an open source project. Any interest ?

What I'd really like to see is some sort of FLOSS MIS, schooltool is a good start, how many schools are there in the UK ? This could probably be developed for a 10th of the cost that we all currently pay.

And if the DFES wanted changes then they could implement a module themselves.

Any back to reality
    Normally I would point out FreeMIS but it looks as if the main site has been hacked ... I'll ask over on SchoolForge what has happened.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box

I want to know too!!!! :violent3:
    Capita paid me zilch!!!!

As we have used SIMS from DOS to .Net it seems to have evolved so much and that is truly amazing in terms of Software Engineering. I know SIMS can be a pain sometimes but it seems to have working trouble free for some time now. We do have the occasionally blip, but every system surely does. It’s just amazing that I now see teacher’s using our SIMS as a one stop integrated solution for their teaching and learning – for eReg, Profiles, Assessment Manager and it all seems to be tying up together nicely (which gives you a warm glowing feeling inside :? ) to support and enhance teaching and learning which is what we are here, utimately to do. The .net report writer is also so much better than RepGenLite!!!

Maybe I’m just passionate ... my next mission is to move SLUETH to SIMS.net.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "kiran
    Maybe I’m just passionate ... my next mission is to move SLUETH to SIMS.net.
    Someone after my own heart.

Sleuth has made such a difference here but the lack of integration, the bugginess and the downright stupidity of it at times annoys me.

I have said to them, quite openly, that unless I can see a decent level of integration, and hopefully web access, then we will start migrating in August.

Their response was so non-commital it is unbelievable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

GrumbleDook: They are working on closer integration between Sleuth and SIMS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@webman
    They said that 2 years ago ... and then 18 months ago and then 12 months ... and 6 months ... and 3 months ... and last week.

I know it is improving, but cock-ups with the implementation of the access runtime and the lack of ability to use the system remotely (Sleuth on a TS box? they have no idea what to do and we are paying the price, having rebuild a box due to cocked up instructions)

The idea behind it all and the behaviour management strategies are fantastic and worth paying for on their own ... but this is another case of vapourware in my experience ...

I still recommend it to other schools, but now with the warning of 'what you see is what you get ... this system is an out of the box system that will get you started ... but 2-3 years down the line you are likely to want to move ... make a choice whether you are willing to do that!'

If your experience has been better than mine then good ...

How have you found the updating utility?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information