View Poll Results: Do you use Capita's SupportNet forum?

Voters
34. This poll is closed
  • Yes, all the time.

15 44.12%
  • Yes, sometimes.

12 35.29%
  • No, have to go through LA or other support.

3 8.82%
  • No.

3 8.82%
  • Not sure what it is.

1 2.94%
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SupportNet and Helpdesk discussion in Technical; Originally Posted by akitajewski We are running sims in our school ....... but the problem is we keep on getting ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation SupportNet and Helpdesk discussion

Quote Originally Posted by akitajewski View Post
    We are running sims in our school ....... but the problem is we keep on getting this reason 0 does anyone know what it mean please we are kind of confussed now
    One assumes you had checked KB72254 from SupportNet before posting to this thread??

And
    Well done Creese!

ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE
    This post was copied here from another thread regarding the reason 0 error as it went off topic.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 21st July 2010 at 11:40 AM.

Thank Post
    One assumes you are not being very helpful.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 21st July 2010 at 11:38 AM.

3. Thanks to RingOfFlame from:

LosOjos (21st July 2010)

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    One assumes you are not being very helpful.
    Not something that should be aimes at Sivadam. His assumption is correct. Reason 0 is the easiest error to solve any support team should deal with this in very little time. I have given the OP a list of things to try. If I had remote access It would be workking by now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exclamation [SIMS] SupportNet and Helpdesk discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    One assumes you had checked KB72254 from SupportNet before posting to this thread??
    Sivadam, that response is pretty obstructive. Does this user know about SupportNet? Do they have an account on there? If not, do their LEA allow them to have an account on there? If they reported this to their LEA support team, do the support team usually have a timely response?

By simply posting 'look at this on supportnet' you may not actually be helping. Not to mention, where on SupportNet should he look?

Thank Post
    Anybody using SIMS ought to know about SupportNet.
    The solution search is very comprehensive and there is obviously a great depth of knowledge held by the SupportNet Forum Users.
    So if anybody out there is a SIMS User then I suggest they register with SupportNet if they have not already done so!
    SupportNet

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anybody using SIMS ought to know about SupportNet.
    The solution search is very comprehensive and there is obviously a great depth of knowledge held by the SupportNet Forum Users.
    So if anybody out there is a SIMS User then I suggest they register with SupportNet if they have not already done so!
    SupportNet
    What about overcoming the 'our LEA doesn't want us on SupportNet' problem that has come up on a few occasions on here?

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What about overcoming the 'our LEA doesn't want us on SupportNet' problem that has come up on a few occasions on here?
    That depends how good your LA is. If for instance the OP has been been to his LA support and the problem has not been fixed, they have a good reason to be on Supportnet. If on the other hand the LA support would be willing to pull all the stops out to get it fixed, there is no need to be on Supportnet. In my opinion.

Thank Post
    Some Support Desks often give out information that is not helpful.
    You can solve many issues before you have to register a Case with Support as the vast majority of the 'issues' have already been solved previously! (or were not, in fact, issues - just a lack of knowledge in the use of the software)

The previous manager of the SupportNet Site was very keen for users to utilise the SupportNet Features. And why would a SupportDesk want extra work when finding some solutions is so simple? One wonders if these easy solutions are required so that the Support Desks statistics look better...... (ooerr....! I'll get some stick for that one!)

And this is not intended to upset SupportDesks as, I assume, the vast majority are extremely efficient. Indeed I meet a few Support Desk personnel very regulalrly at UAT and they are extremely knowledgable individuals!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st July 2010 at 09:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Man... oh man. This topic has veered towards SupportNet and the service desk...

Let's face it, SupportNet isn't a particularly great website, it errors so frequently half the time I'm unable to even log a case through it - probably because it's not been updated since hmm.... 2003? The solution search function isn't particularly great and often brings up completely irrelevant results and then the KB's are often so poorly written that even I'm confused half the time.

Customers I deal with often ring up asking questions along the lines of "what does this KB actually mean?" and "do I have to do this?" after having seen these KB's. I know many LA's are also thinking the same thing a lot of the time as I've even had calls from them simply to "rant about X KB".

Support Desk stats, hmmm... maybe although that does raise an interesting question... if you were on a service desk, how many cases would you expect one person to resolve and then close in a day?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    Support Desk stats, hmmm... maybe although that does raise an interesting question... if you were on a service desk, how many cases would you expect one person to resolve and then close in a day?
    That would obviously depend on the type of requests. Any Helpdesk that is requiring users to log calls (when it is extremely simple to look them up on SupportNet Solution Search, or use a basic knowledge of how SIMS works) then very, very many in one day.

If it is a real issue with the Software then the Case may not be solved for Years.
    I have just had a Case Resolved that was opened in May 2008 re. B2B Personnel! I am cheating really as the problem was related to the import into the LA One System. The export form SIMS has worked since we were first involved in the Pilot of this way back before May 2008!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    That would obviously depend on the type of requests. Any Helpdesk that is requiring users to log calls (when it is extremely simple to look them up on SupportNet Solution Search, or use a basic knowledge of how SIMS works) then very, very many in one day.

If it is a real issue with the Software then the Case may not be solved for Years.
    I have just had a Case Resolved that was opened in May 2008 re. B2B Personnel! I am cheating really as the problem was related to the import into the LA One System. The export form SIMS has worked since we were first involved in the Pilot of this way back before May 2008!
    Extremely simple to look them up on SupportNet? I get a lot of irrelevant results when I try and find anything on SupportNet. And how do you look up a specific KB number? As far as I can see, unless you click the link in the error dialog when the error occurs, you ain't finding it again.

Are we supposed to be encouraged to use SupportNet by the fact that it's taken over 2 years for your case to be resolved?

Sivadam, you constantly bang on about SupportNet on these forums, you're sarcastic and sometimes rude to people who are just looking for a little help, how about you provide some help or just don't bother posting? At least post a link to the area in SupportNet you think will be helpful!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 21st July 2010 at 10:40 AM.

13. Thanks to LosOjos from:

rh91uk (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    I think we have to be realistic.

SIMS inherited systems like T4 which were not their own, they had to integrate them into the software they had developed. Having spoken to a chap who has used it since it's early beginnings he said it grew far quicker than they could have envisaged and it was hack n slash'd together with school requirements.

That's not to say i'm defending them but we all use/have used Windows XP which has had patches & fixes continually released for years, no matter how much QA is given and UAT with the testing groups things slip through the net... that's a given as things crop up.

When a change is made that seems blindingly obvious to us but takes months to roll out it's likely they have to test on a bunch of operating systems with different scenarios. However... it doesn't always look that way from experience with some of the patches put on but we have to bear in mind that any changes done affect potentially gigs of data... but of course, we all have robust backup plans.

That said, they really need to improve the support site and the errors given - they need to be more verbose as sometimes it might be something fixable by us rather than logging a call with Capita.

Just to add... SIMS error 0 for me a few days ago was that the mapped drive had gone funky on the local machine.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 21st July 2010 at 10:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Are we supposed to be encouraged to use SupportNet by the fact that it's taken over 2 years for your case to be resolved?
    Isn't it strange how words can be twisted?
    I was simply responding to a question that was posed before that response that you refer to.
    How can you extrapolate that answer to this new question? It simply has no relevance!

I will also leave this thread now. Then nobody can be rude back to me and I won't be rude to anybody else. Apologies to anybody that is upset about my comments - which always endevour to correct the misinformation which has suddenly started re-appearing in these Forums. I thought it had died down a little. But .... it obviously hasn't.

If anybody else wants my help then they know where I can be found! I know that my help is well apprecaited by most!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st July 2010 at 10:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    i think this thread needs splitting again.
    to search for a KB, when you go to solution search there is a link on the right for KB and then you can input a number, that in my opinion is the only bit that works well. But you have to know what you are looking for.
    When you receive an email from Capita with a link to 'your solution' or to a KB, that link doesn't work most of the time as it's referenced wrong, i've reported this but nothing changes.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 21st July 2010 at 10:45 AM.

17. Thanks to vikpaw from:

LosOjos (21st July 2010)

Thank Post
    That would obviously depend on the type of requests.
    Indeed, maybe I should have been more specific as I generally meant all kinds of requests (you never know what the customer will ring up about) across all modules of SIMS.net.

B2B = Utter filth! but years... to resolve a case... I think that's a bit too long really.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast