View Poll Results: Do you use Capita's SupportNet forum?

Voters
34. This poll is closed
  • Yes, all the time.

15 44.12%
  • Yes, sometimes.

12 35.29%
  • No, have to go through LA or other support.

3 8.82%
  • No.

3 8.82%
  • Not sure what it is.

1 2.94%
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SupportNet and Helpdesk discussion in Technical; Originally Posted by Sivadam If you have not attended a Software Consultation meeting then you may find it enlightening! I ...

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    If you have not attended a Software Consultation meeting then you may find it enlightening!
    I have been involved in these. Some of the requests leave the room puzzled. Some would be great, for one or two schools. Some are great. But at least there is a chance to put your ideas forward.

If the DoE or whatever it is called this week would stop and let the software writers catch up maybe they could produce a good support site, almost totally stable software and so on. What other software company, apart from AV maybe has such a demand to meet with many deadlines dictated by third parties?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I have been involved in these. Some of the requests leave the room puzzled. Some would be great, for one or two schools. Some are great. But at least there is a chance to put your ideas forward.

If the DoE or whatever it is called this week would stop and let the software writers catch up maybe they could produce a good support site, almost totally stable software and so on. What other software company, apart from AV maybe has such a demand to meet with many deadlines dictated by third parties?
    Off the top of my head...... Microsoft, Adobe, most mainstream Linux distributions. Essentially any software firm where there's a lot of user requests for features and security vulns or bugs fixes reported by third parties, not to mention having to vet third-party code/fixes before integration into your product (latter example).

Capita is not an unique snowflake.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Off the top of my head...... Microsoft, Adobe, most mainstream Linux distributions. Essentially any software firm where there's a lot of user requests for features and security vulns or bugs fixes reported by third parties, not to mention having to vet third-party code/fixes before integration into your product (latter example).

Capita is not an unique snowflake.
    Obviously I'm not talking about security. When have microsoft added a number of 'features' because they were asked by the customer? My proof..... Office 2007, Vista, ME. Who asked for them? They just thought they would try something different, they failed, if you ask me. Where is Capita's ME?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Obviously I'm not talking about security. When have microsoft added a number of 'features' because they were asked by the customer? My proof..... Office 2007, Vista, ME. Who asked for them? They just thought they would try something different, they failed, if you ask me. Where is Capita's ME?
    I think you'd find that the design of Office 2007, Vista and ME were all driven by a) new technologies and more significantly b) user testing and trials. Microsoft, like any decent software company, involves users from the design stage through to the release stage - to gauge their response to things.

To think that they just dictatorially change their software without consulting users? That's a little odd.

Capita's ME? SIMS.net a few years back. Where updates would regularly go wrong. Where there were a plethora of applications not yet integrated into the .Net system? etc... That could very well be Capita's ME.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I think you'd find that the design of Office 2007, Vista and ME were all driven by a) new technologies and more significantly b) user testing and trials. Microsoft, like any decent software company, involves users from the design stage through to the release stage - to gauge their response to things.

To think that they just dictatorially change their software without consulting users? That's a little odd.

Capita's ME? SIMS.net a few years back. Where updates would regularly go wrong. Where there were a plethora of applications not yet integrated into the .Net system? etc... That could very well be Capita's ME.
    All true if you stretch your imagination with a very strong stretcher thing.

Thank Post
    Obviously I'm not talking about security. When have microsoft added a number of 'features' because they were asked by the customer?
    I am the US government. I'm thinking of using MS-Widget, but it doesn't quite meet $spec for deployment.
    I am the US Navy, I want to run Windows for Warships, but I need a couple of changes made to comply with $DOD_spec.
    I am major multinational. I'd like integration between $microsoft_app and $other_app for the next version of $microsoft_app.
    I am $country and I'm thinking of using OpenOffice & Linux country-wide.

Microsoft will make changes to get that business. Those aren't security fixes. In the latter case they'll offer up Ballmer as a sacrifice to the volcano god of your choice.

Capita's Vista? How about a support forum that doesn't allow you to post a link to a specific thread?

Linux distributions manage to integrate code from thousands of different projects and developers. They handle feature requests, bug and security fixes from hundreds of thousands of end-users. They fix security bugs in a timely manner.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I am the US government. I'm thinking of using MS-Widget, but it doesn't quite meet $spec for deployment.
    I am the US Navy, I want to run Windows for Warships, but I need a couple of changes made to comply with $DOD_spec.
    I am major multinational. I'd like integration between $microsoft_app and $other_app for the next version of $microsoft_app.
    I am $country and I'm thinking of using OpenOffice & Linux country-wide.

Microsoft will make changes to get that business. Those aren't security fixes. In the latter case they'll offer up Ballmer as a sacrifice to the volcano god of your choice.

Capita's Vista? How about a support forum that doesn't allow you to post a link to a specific thread?

Linux distributions manage to integrate code from thousands of different projects and developers. They handle feature requests, bug and security fixes from hundreds of thousands of end-users. They fix security bugs in a timely manner.
    Hmmmmm I wish I had a patent on imagination stretchers.

US government - more money
    US navy - more money
    Capita, different Aspects, extra fields in Pupil Details - same money and a rushed realease date to comply with DoE.

Take your thumb off the scales.

Thank Post
    Couldn't get past the Poll section of Edugeek..... worst site ever. (oops, forgot the I believe).

While we are talking about Microsoft, when was the last time anyone got anything meaningful from Microsoft Technet in less than half a day?

Thank Post
    Hmmmmm I wish I had a patent on imagination stretchers.

US government - more money
    US navy - more money
    Capita, different Aspects, extra fields in Pupil Details - same money and a rushed realease date to comply with DoE.

Take your thumb off the scales.
    From what I heard the last government was actually providing funding to the major MIS providers to make the changes to meet their requirements, may be wrong though. Plus Capita have a continual revenue stream from schools in their support and maintenance contract, consultancy charges, training etc etc. It's not as if we're asking them to do something for nothing!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    From what I heard the last government was actually providing funding to the major MIS providers to make the changes to meet their requirements, may be wrong though. Plus Capita have a continual revenue stream from schools in their support and maintenance contract, consultancy charges, training etc etc. It's not as if we're asking them to do something for nothing!
    So you 'BELIEVE' Capita get paid extra for last minute demands from DoE? You heard this from where?

Thank Post
    It came up in a meeting with Capita a couple of years ago, long and distant memory, which is why I said I may be wrong.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't get past the Poll section of Edugeek..... worst site ever. (oops, forgot the I believe).

While we are talking about Microsoft, when was the last time anyone got anything meaningful from Microsoft Technet in less than half a day?
    I use technet pretty much all the time. Searching technet returns relevant results very easily. It is a pretty good site actually.

So you 'BELIEVE' Capita get paid extra for last minute demands from DoE? You heard this from where?
    Just like you BELIEVE that MS release new versions of their software without consulting users, just because they want to...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    It came up in a meeting with Capita a couple of years ago, long and distant memory, which is why I said I may be wrong.
    Prize for the best rumour of the day.

I heard the opposite and I don't believe I'm wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I use technet pretty much all the time. Searching technet returns relevant results very easily. It is a pretty good site actually....
    Not in my opinion.

Just like you BELIEVE that MS release new versions of their software without consulting users, just because they want to...
    Is that what I said? I don't think so.

I think you are missing my point in a BIG way. But as this thread is rapidly developing into a biased thread aginst Capita (who I aknowledge is far from perfect). I out!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you did say that Creese - your line above implies that MS didn't add features due to requests by users...

I think you are missing my point in a BIG way. But as this thread is rapidly developing into a biased thread aginst Capita (who I aknowledge is far from perfect). I out!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast