View Poll Results: Do you use Capita's SupportNet forum?

Voters
34. This poll is closed
  • Yes, all the time.

15 44.12%
  • Yes, sometimes.

12 35.29%
  • No, have to go through LA or other support.

3 8.82%
  • No.

3 8.82%
  • Not sure what it is.

1 2.94%
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SupportNet and Helpdesk discussion in Technical; Originally Posted by Sivadam One wonders how one can criticise something that one does not use .............. I have used ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    One wonders how one can criticise something that one does not use ..............
    I have used it, I didn't like it, so I don't often use it! How infuriating can you get!? Do you simply not understand this simple concept? SupportNet is a horrible site, anyone who has logged into it will see that the interface is a mash of random menus, links, input boxes and terms that to the average user mean nothing. Why would someone who looked at that want to continue to use it??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I have used it, I didn't like it, so I don't often use it! How infuriating can you get!? Do you simply not understand this simple concept? SupportNet is a horrible site, anyone who has logged into it will see that the interface is a mash of random menus, links, input boxes and terms that to the average user mean nothing. Why would someone who looked at that want to continue to use it??

Because you get an answer to simple problems very easily! The boxes are a means of focusing in directly to the area of the Software that you are querying. A general enquiry would throw up many different references that are not releavnt!

And to confirm to one that the issue you have is a REAL fault with the Software and not just one's own ignorance of the issue - just as in the Cases that I log with Supportnet Case Log. (Which are many - especially after an Upgrade - Yes SIMS ain't perfect but tell me a MIS that is due to the constraints and timescales imposed by DfE etc?)
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 09:29 AM.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Now, what would that person first want to hear? A solution to their problem? Or being berated for not having used a site they didn't know about?
    Or the other option, find a lot of rumour, false info and arguements about SIMS being rubbish or not?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Berating people for using EduGeek rather than SupportNet seems to me to be akin to demanding they use AOL rather than Firefox...

Thank Post
    SupportNet is a horrible site, anyone who has logged into it will see that the interface is a mash of random menus, links, input boxes and terms that to the average user mean nothing. Why would someone who looked at that want to continue to use it??
    Here here! I do have to agree that it is pretty dire and I just get an unknown error half the time when I attempt to log a case through it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Berating people for using EduGeek rather than SupportNet seems to me to be akin to demanding they use AOL rather than Firefox...
    I hope that comment was not directed to me as I have never 'berated' anybody for not using SupportNet - just advising them that maybe they ought to and expressing astonishment that some SIMS users have 'never heard of it' or 'never use it'.

My 'berating' has been against the innapropriate (my opinion) comments that this site has always allowed the past and should not be doing. Now that I am challenging such statements I am getting moderated and criticism myself, when nothing is done about the original statement that I (and others I may add!) object to. Not that I am particularly concerned at this as I am a big boy now and can stand on my own two feet and, hopefully, this will eventually lead to a better site in the long run! No amount of personal criticisms will stop me challenging these innapropriate statements.

I have left the site once and stayed away for quite a while but many users here contacted me and said that I ought to return and so... hey presto.... the 'bad penny' reappeared. I was very surprised about, and greatful for, the amount of support I did receive!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 11:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One assumes you had checked KB72254 from SupportNet before posting to this thread??
    That reads a lot like berating to me...

Thank Post
    It is an assumption! Not a beration (if there is such a word)!

as·sump·tion (ə sumps̸hən)

noun
    • Religion the taking up of a person into heaven
    • R.C.Ch.
      1. the taking up of the body and soul of the Virgin Mary into heaven after her death
      2. a church festival on Aug. 15 celebrating this
    • the act of assuming; a taking upon oneself, taking over, or taking for granted
    • anything taken for granted; supposition
    • presumption
    be·rate (bĭ-rātˈ)
    transitive verb berated be·rat·ed, berating be·rat·ing, be·rates
    To rebuke or scold angrily and at length.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 11:13 AM.

Thank Post
    To be fair, Sivadam, it seems likely that you were assuming the converse when you posted that...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMitchell View Post
    To be fair, Sivadam, it seems likely that you were assuming the converse when you posted that...
    That is one of problems with these forums. My posts (and all posts actually) need to be read as they stand. Nobody should extrapolate them to mean something that is not relevant to the actual words on the page.

To infer that I was 'rebuking or scolding angrily at length' is totally preposterous! It actually reads that I was 'taking it for granted' that the KB was read and that is because it is so easy to find this KB on SupportNet.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 12:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That is one of problems with these forums. My posts (and all posts actually) need to be read as they stand. Nobody should extrapolate them to mean something that is not relevant to the actual words on the page.
    Then you need to be more clear. Extra question marks at the end of a sentence indicate frustration and other such things.

12. Thanks to localzuk from:

Sivadam (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Point taken. You are right on that one!

But even I get frustrated with the responses that I get here when I do respond in a reasonable manner.

I hereby apologise to all readers that I have upset by adding one extra question mark to a single line post!

That error is, indeed, unforgivable and I hereby retract that second question mark on the grounds that it MAY be misleading!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 01:36 PM.

Thank Post
    SupportNet is a horrible site, anyone who has logged into it will see that the interface is a mash of random menus, links, input boxes and terms that to the average user mean nothing.
    Anyone is entitled, of course, not to like a site. I used Supportnet for a long time and agree that there are areas such as logging change requests where it could certainly improve but when looking for solutions for SIMS problems I found it saved time and saved logging calls on occasion. There were plenty in my school who would not know what supportnet was (despite it turning up on quite a few SIMS screens) but they reported faults to me first and I could solve at least some of them as others on this site could also.
    In supportnet and elsewhere I have found Sivadam very helpful and he has solved more than one problem for me and occasionally I hope I returned the favour. Supportnet is more targeted and thus in my view the first port of call for SIMS problems but yes it could certainly do with an overhaul in some areas.

Then you need to be more clear. Extra question marks at the end of a sentence indicate frustration and other such things
    I expect you meant clearer but it isn't my experience that this is what a number of question marks mean rather surprise/shock over what is being said. Frustration is 27 exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Thanks to Jeremy69 from:

Sivadam (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    I do use Supportnet a reasonable amount, particularly the knowledgebase which once you've got used to getting the search requests right is a very useful tool. I don't use the forums, I do know a couple of our staff do on a regular basis. As for the change requests, I gave up with those a long time ago as it just seems to be pot luck if they get actioned or just plain ignored with no notice taken of how many votes the request received. That may have changed, don't know if anyone on here has recent experience of it?

Thank Post
    The change requests are analysed and are discussed at the Software Consultation Meetings that the SIMS Product Managers hold each year. These are advertised on Supportnet and Users can apply to attend these meetings.
    Whether a CR is actioned will depend on how well it is supported (the meeting looks mainly at those that are well supported!) and if it fits in with the project improvement plans for the following year. Capitaes have a budget for this which is obviously not bottomless and so not all areas can be improved at the same time! It will also depend on how complicated it is to act on a CR. If a well supported CR cannot be actioned that particular year then there is usually an explanation given as to why it has not been approved.
    If you have not attended a Software Consultation meeting then you may find it enlightening!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 09:22 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast