View Poll Results: Do you use Capita's SupportNet forum?

Voters
34. This poll is closed
  • Yes, all the time.

15 44.12%
  • Yes, sometimes.

12 35.29%
  • No, have to go through LA or other support.

3 8.82%
  • No.

3 8.82%
  • Not sure what it is.

1 2.94%
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SupportNet and Helpdesk discussion in Technical; Originally Posted by vikpaw @Creese; - in the recent thread about reason 0, the derailment about error messages was partly ...

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    @Creese; - in the recent thread about reason 0, the derailment about error messages was partly caused by this so called 'education'. it was a reaction to that post which escalated and required the thread to be split. by that time all known solutions were listed already anyway, a lot of help was from yourself too.
    I help people as much as I can, it's my job and my aim in life. When I do and satate that this particular error is not only well known and easy to fix, I don't expect to be shot down and told I'm wrong in so many ways. I have probably fixed more reason 0s than the posters put together. I am still waiting for the OP to reply from a list I asked him to try, but I had (in my opinion) to PM him as i saw this was the only way he could get through the knocking of SIMS and build a working system he could be happy with. Should I have to do that? I wouldn't think so. But I may be wrong, I am humanly often.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Yes.

Excellent Support. Then again I am always methodical with my Case Logging on SupportNet - explaining the issue fully, the KBs I have tried and any workrounds that I have created to resolve the issue before I log it!
    A sympathetic ear when I complain that something is wrong! And Yes! They do listen!
    Invites to UAT Testing. Don't blame me though if something gets thro' that you do not like - I do my best to help ensure the functionality is at an optimum.
    Particiaption in Field Trials. Currently, SOLUS3 Part B - and another 'biggie' next term!
    Appreciation by Capitaes Product Managers and other Senior Staff at Capitaes.
    Respect by many users of SIMS around the country - via SupportNet, Emails, Phone calls and Visits!

....and probably many more that I cannot think of at the moment, but all of which produce more work for me, much of which I do in my own unpaid time, but which help to make our System the efficient system that I think it is!

If you think I gain anything 'monetary' or any 'Freebies' then think again. It actually costs me money because I do not even claim from the school for expenses to travel down to Bedford! Yes! I am MAD - both by name and by nature! (But I am also one of the 'Old school'!)
    Careful, you will give yourself a sore back with all that patting.

I disagree totally.

Users should be 'educated' into posting their issues without unjustifiably knocking a product through what may be insufficient knowlege, or for any other reason. All that does is annoy, and probably alienate, the very people that may be able to supply a positive answer! I certainly know that it is not the best way to illicit my help!

The actual product is immaterial!
    In the same way that your replys to request for help have annoyed and alienate myself and many other here. And take it from me, I know how to annoy and alienate fellow edugeekers, and you are putting me to shame.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I help people as much as I can, it's my job and my aim in life. When I do and satate that this particular error is not only well known and easy to fix, I don't expect to be shot down and told I'm wrong in so many ways. I have probably fixed more reason 0s than the posters put together. I am still waiting for the OP to reply from a list I asked him to try, but I had (in my opinion) to PM him as i saw this was the only way he could get through the knocking of SIMS and build a working system he could be happy with. Should I have to do that? I wouldn't think so. But I may be wrong, I am humanly often.
    I agree with you. I helped, you helped, many helped. In my opinion the side tracking was caused by a so called 'educate the user' / 'sims is wonderful' post as we are discussing now. Once sidetracked, no, it shouldn't have carried on. You shouldn't be shot down, though the discussion itself could be of some use, it didn't need to take place in that thread, which is why it was split off in the end as it got out of hand.

This thread too, is a split from that original post for help. The discussion wanders off again.

My point is, commenting on the accurateness of the OPs statement started this all off. Without that i think it would have stayed under control, and you probably would have solved it by now.

I wish i'd never moved that damn post into the MIS forum (yes, for those that don't know, the original post wasn't even under MIS forum. I thought that moving it here would help the OP.) Now we haven't even heard back from the OP, and there is just silly infighting and rudeness which doesn't help anyone.

I know that thread isn't the only one that suffers from negativity, and in line with the phases of the moon, the membership often have little ranting sessions across all forums, it's the nature of the beast, we work with those, those mere 'users' after all!

The thing is, do you think if you'd questioned the OP about his opening statement slating SIMS, thing would have been better for him, you, all of us. This applies in general not just to here, since this thread is supposed to be about SupportNet, and helpdesks. Is the purpose to help others and solve problems as is our job, or to get bogged down in changing opinions. Both are important, but doing both at the same time isn't helpful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    ...And take it from me, I know how to annoy and alienate fellow edugeekers, and you are putting me to shame.
    Amen to that.

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

RingOfFlame (21st July 2010)

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Now we haven't even heard back from the OP, and there is just silly infighting and rudeness which doesn't help anyone.
    As I've said, I'm in touch and will continue to help as long as it is needed.

We get many schools where a technician has gone off and done their own thing and stopped SIMS from working. This usually presents itself after an upgrade so SIMS gets the blame. It's the fiddlers that break it very rarely the upgrade. To them SIMS is just another program. It's never that when it is needed in a hurry though.

7. Thanks to creese from:

Sivadam (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    SupportNet is a very useful resource, and often has a solution to a problem. Sivadam - what you need to remember is that a lot of people nowadays are used to resolve a software issue by searching google for the problem, as *most* major software is discussed heavily on the internet, and therefore a solution is normally easy to find in this way.

Things fall down a little with SIMS, as the information on SupportNet is only accessible to users who have an account, and therefore it doesn't come up in a search engine. Edugeek's content *is* indexed by Google, and if you search the internet for problems with SIMS, Edugeek is the site that comes up in the results, not SupportNet.

That said, SupportNet is (often and usually) the best place to find an answer: the site allows users to leverage the expertise of SIMS users across the country, including many expert users who simply do not use sites like Edugeek. It's just that unless you already know about the site, and know how to use it, you'll never come across it as google can't find it.

Maybe the solution is to allow partial indexing by google, so that users can find the relevant pages, and then log in to view? There are issues though - there are a lot of problems, and solutions, that I would not feel comfortable posting on a public site, and the benefit of SupportNet is that it *isn't* visible to the entire world! A tricky problem to resolve...

9. Thanks to MattMitchell from:

Sivadam (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Maybe the 'educating' of users should happen earlier on, perhaps by Capita, at the school level. So they all know to go to SupportNet first, and that they can also tackle the issue of some LAs/Support Desks not wanting users to join SupportNet. While they're at it, they can fix the inconsistency in responses given.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    In the same way that your replys to request for help have annoyed and alienate myself and many other here. And take it from me, I know how to annoy and alienate fellow edugeekers, and you are putting me to shame.
    Good!
    That is precisely why I started contributing in the first place. I was totally disgusted with the threads I had been reading for a considerable time and thought it was time to try and do something about it! Up to the last couple of weeks I thought that I was starting to have the desired effect!
    People who I may have annoyed or alientated may well just be the ones that needed targeting. If I have upset others then I once again apologise - something I have done many times on here (not that I remember many others reciprocating!). The more discerning of users will understand completely where I am coming from!
    And I bet you have not been upsetting people in eductaion for as long as I have! And, believe it not, I have mellowed a great deal in old age!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 08:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks Matt.
    Every single SIMS user has an automatic right to join SupportNet.
    I cannot really understand anybody who has to manage/maintain SIMS who does not register and just uses other less specific sites to try and find answers to SIMS issues - especially when it is not a real fault with the Software or is just user error.
    Why on earth would anybody even consider using Google, Edugeek or any other Help Desk without first of all consulting SupportNet? Very Strange!!!!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 09:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Good, hyperlinked documentation for SIMS would be a good thing - at the moment the info available is fairly poor, and too task-focused, centred around the interface rather than around the purpose of the task.

Thank Post
    Which is exactly why they consulted users on how they want it to change. The following thread was posted at the time!
    Supportnet 2.0 Online Consultation SURVEY (26262)
    I wonder how many users here have responded .........
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 08:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Matt.
    Every single SIMS user has an automatic right to join SupportNet.
    I cannot really understand anybody who has to manage/maintain SIMS who does not register and just users other less specific sites to try and find answers to SIMS issues - especially when it is not a real fault with the Software it is just user error.
    Why on earth would anybody even consider using Goodle, Edugeek or any other Help Desk without first of all consulting SupportNet? Very Strange!!!!
    Because many SIMS users don't know about SupportNet!

Quote Originally Posted by MattMitchell View Post
    Good, hyperlinked documentation for SIMS would be a good thing - at the moment the info available is fairly poor, and too task-focused, centred around the interface rather than around the purpose of the task.
    Agreed. Not to mention the freaky long URL's making things impossible to link to.

Which is exactly why they consulted users on how they want it to change. The following thread was posted at the time!
    Supportnet 2.0 Online Consultation SURVEY (26262)
    I wonder how many users here have responded .........
    So, in order to consult on a site which many users don't like, and therefore don't use, they posted a thread on that site and expected people's responses? No, you ask people in other places to go there and have a look. Or you speak to someone with HCI experience and ask them where the site is falling down (HCI being Human Computer Interaction, a mix between computing and psychology). That request is akin to saying 'well, I put the survey on my desk, why didn't you come in and see it?'

Thank Post
    I assume that you said your piece when they actually ran the consultation re. SupportNet?
    Maybe that is exactly what they wanted to hear ..........

And anybody using these Forums now ought to know about SupportNet. Else the allegations that 'I bring it up too much' cannot be right! Maybe I should mention it more so that they do find out!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assume that you said your piece when they actually ran the consultation re. SupportNet?
    Maybe that is exactly what they wanted to hear ..........
    How would I have done that? I don't use SupportNet very often (in fact, I can count the times I've used it on my hands), and I especially don't browse their forums. When you don't like something, you don't make a habit of using it!

And anybody using these Forums now ought to know about SupportNet. Else the allegations that 'I bring it up too much' cannot be right! Maybe I should mention it more so that they do find out!
    *sigh* You're missing the point, again! Imagine this scenario:

A user has an issue with SIMS.net, they don't know about SupportNet so they report it via email to their support desk, and do a bit of Googling. They then find Edugeek and have a browse around, and their particular issue isn't solved. They decide to sign up and post a new thread asking for help.

Now, what would that person first want to hear? A solution to their problem? Or being berated for not having used a site they didn't know about?

Yes, SupportNet has information on it that is useful, but it is also a small, closed community, with a confusing and odd interface. Logging a change request is a nightmare for example - how do you check that your CR hasn't been logged before? You effectively can't...

Thank Post
    One wonders how one can criticise something that one does not use ..............

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast