View Poll Results: Do you use Capita's SupportNet forum?

Voters
34. This poll is closed
  • Yes, all the time.

    15 44.12%
  • Yes, sometimes.

    12 35.29%
  • No, have to go through LA or other support.

    3 8.82%
  • No.

    3 8.82%
  • Not sure what it is.

    1 2.94%
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 114
MIS Systems Thread, SupportNet and Helpdesk discussion in Technical; Originally Posted by dwhyte85 I think we have to be realistic. SIMS inherited systems like T4 which were not their ...
  1. #16
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    I think we have to be realistic.
    SIMS inherited systems like T4 which were not their own, they had to integrate them into the software they had developed. Having spoken to a chap who has used it since it's early beginnings he said it grew far quicker than they could have envisaged and it was hack n slash'd together with school requirements.
    That's not to say i'm defending them but we all use/have used Windows XP which has had patches & fixes continually released for years, no matter how much QA is given and UAT with the testing groups things slip through the net... that's a given as things crop up.
    Guess who originated from a Nova DOS grounding! And when Nova became windows based SIMS was still working in DOS. Now there really were issues then!

    As for Testing - maybe some of you should volunteer! Would you reject a new Software Innovation because some of it does not work to your satisfaction? Or would you approve it on the grounds that it does something that was not in the functionality before and hope that your ERs or CRs were approved later?

    Sorry for the extra post - I am responding to one that was already on the system before my previous one.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st July 2010 at 12:39 PM.

  2. #17

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,779
    Thank Post
    714
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Rep Power
    359
    This is how i see things so far:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Maybe somebody should cream off the incorrect statements that appear on here.

    What is good for the goose is good for the gander!
    This statement wasn't helpful to the thread after it had already been derailed and split once.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    One assumes you had checked KB72254 from SupportNet before posting to this thread??

    And
    Well done Creese!
    This post of yours started the derailment of the thread for the 2nd time. Again, not helpful at this point. If that had been your first post it would have been great, but your entry to the thread was simply to pass comment on what others say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Some Support Desks often give out information that is not helpful.
    You can solve many issues before you have to register a Case with Support as the vast majority of the 'issues' have already been solved previously! (or were not, in fact, issues - just a lack of knowledge in the use of the software)
    Does this apply to the Capita Helpdesk, where it appears the message about SQL 2008 R2 being supported (another thread!) originated. Maybe the Capita helpdesk should use SupportNet more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Isn't it strange how words can be twisted?
    I was simply responding to your question that you posed before that response that you refer to.
    How can you extrapolate that answer to your next question? It simply has no relevance!

    I will also leave this thread now. Then nobody can be rude back to me and I won't be rude to anybody else. Apologies to anybody that is upset about my comments - which always endevour to correct the misinformation which has suddenly started re-appearing in these Forums. I thought it had died down a little. But .... it obviously hasn't.

    If anybody else wants my help then they know where I can be found! I know that my help is well apprecaited by most!
    There is no need for rudeness from anyone. But you cannot keep driving things off topic, just because you disagree with someone's opinion that SIMs is no good. If we stick to just resolving problems, no matter where they originate from or what the feelings of the poster are, they'd be no need for this periodic debacle.

    So what if everybody hates SIMS. Point people in the direction of a solution and they will learn to appreciate how good and powerful it is [over time]. Try to 'correct' what people say and shun their opinions and you will just make them think that the constant furore around SIMS must mean there is something wrong with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    ..Sorry for the extra post - I am responding to one that was already on the system before my previous one.
    Does saying you'll leave the thread only count if you get the last word?!

    Mod hat on: I'm going to take the pruning shears out now and split this off into another thread.

  3. #18

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,779
    Thank Post
    714
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Rep Power
    359
    Added a poll to see how many use SupportNet, presumably most of us here, but interested to see those that don't, or are told not to.

  4. #19


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,677
    Thank Post
    279
    Thanked 782 Times in 609 Posts
    Rep Power
    224
    I use SupportNet and the SIMS helldesk, usually before I post on here - we're a single site, supported directly. If I'm posting on here it's because it's a crossover issue and/or SupportNet is vague or it's a niche SIMS module.

    If it's a mainstream module, the answer (or confirmation that it's truly broken) is on SupportNet or can be confirmed quickly by opening a case. If it's a minor module we often wait a long time for a response with no guarantee that it'll actually fix our problem.

    The goodwill generated by the speed of response (IME) to issues with mainstream modules is currently being eroded by the poor support in the minor modules.

  5. #20
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    This is how i see things so far:



    This statement wasn't helpful to the thread after it had already been derailed and split once.



    This post of yours started the derailment of the thread for the 2nd time. Again, not helpful at this point. If that had been your first post it would have been great, but your entry to the thread was simply to pass comment on what others say.



    Does this apply to the Capita Helpdesk, where it appears the message about SQL 2008 R2 being supported (another thread!) originated. Maybe the Capita helpdesk should use SupportNet more!



    There is no need for rudeness from anyone. But you cannot keep driving things off topic, just because you disagree with someone's opinion that SIMs is no good. If we stick to just resolving problems, no matter where they originate from or what the feelings of the poster are, they'd be no need for this periodic debacle.

    So what if everybody hates SIMS. Point people in the direction of a solution and they will learn to appreciate how good and powerful it is [over time]. Try to 'correct' what people say and shun their opinions and you will just make them think that the constant furore around SIMS must mean there is something wrong with it.



    Does saying you'll leave the thread only count if you get the last word?!

    Mod hat on: I'm going to take the pruning shears out now and split this off into another thread.


    Hmm............

    Yet another different thread that needs responding to.....

    And no reference whatsoever to users that were 'rude' to me - seems like a very, very biased thread indeed!
    And 'rude' would not appear to have been used according to the definition as used in the Oxford English Dictionary!
    Or, if it is, then all instances of 'rudeness' should have been highlighted - not just my own!

    There will be a response but I will totally ignore it now! I have said my piece!

    However, maybe some of you silent readers maybe ought to start contributing in the way I have done (and will continue to do until I receive a 'ban') - after merely 'listening' to some of the topics posted here for a considerable number of years.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st July 2010 at 12:40 PM.

  6. #21

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,131
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Hmm............

    Yet another different thread to needs responding to.....

    And no reference whatsoever to users that were 'rude' to me - seems like a very, very biased thread indeed!
    And 'rude' would not appear to have been used according to the definition as used in the Oxford English Dictionary!
    Or if it is then all instances of 'rudeness' should have been highlighted!

    There will be a response but I will totally ignore it now!
    However, maybe some of you silent readers ought to start contributing in the way I have done (and will continue to do until I receive a 'ban') - after merely 'listening' to some of the topics posted here for a considerable number of years.
    Yes, there will be a response - and that is that you are simply ignoring the arguments others are posting. You are standing firm and fast in your corner and saying 'this is the TRUTH and i'm sticking to it', rather than looking at the situation as a 'this is not a black and white situation, there are a billion shades of grey'.

  7. #22

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Hmm............

    Yet another different thread that needs responding to.....

    And no reference whatsoever to users that were 'rude' to me - seems like a very, very biased thread indeed!
    And 'rude' would not appear to have been used according to the definition as used in the Oxford English Dictionary!
    Or, if it is, then all instances of 'rudeness' should have been highlighted - not just my own!

    There will be a response but I will totally ignore it now! I have said my piece!

    However, maybe some of you silent readers maybe ought to start contributing in the way I have done (and will continue to do until I receive a 'ban') - after merely 'listening' to some of the topics posted here for a considerable number of years.
    Considering 99% of your posts are to encourage users away from this site and shamelessly promote SupportNet, I think you're lucky you haven't been banned for unauthorised advertising myself.

    Just out of curiosity, do you get anything in return for constantly claiming that SIMS is absolutely fabulous, flawless and perfect?

  8. #23
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Yes.

    Excellent Support. Then again I am always methodical with my Case Logging on SupportNet - explaining the issue fully, the KBs I have tried and any workrounds that I have created to resolve the issue before I log it!
    A sympathetic ear when I complain that something is wrong! And Yes! They do listen!
    Invites to UAT Testing. Don't blame me though if something gets thro' that you do not like - I do my best to help ensure the functionality is at an optimum.
    Particiaption in Field Trials. Currently, SOLUS3 Part B - and another 'biggie' next term!
    Appreciation by Capitaes Product Managers and other Senior Staff at Capitaes.
    Respect by many users of SIMS around the country - via SupportNet, Emails, Phone calls and Visits!

    ....and probably many more that I cannot think of at the moment, but all of which produce more work for me, much of which I do in my own unpaid time, but which help to make our System the efficient system that I think it is!

    If you think I gain anything 'monetary' or any 'Freebies' then think again. It actually costs me money because I do not even claim from the school for expenses to travel down to Bedford! Yes! I am MAD - both by name and by nature! (But I am also one of the 'Old school'!)
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st July 2010 at 01:30 PM.

  9. #24
    Sarconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    315
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you get anything in return for constantly claiming that SIMS is absolutely fabulous, flawless and perfect?
    I have wondered that but the answer is obviously no as Capita/SIMS are extreme stingebags.

  10. #25

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    If you think I gain anything 'monetary' or any 'Freebies' then think again. It actually costs me money because I do not even claim from the school for expenses to travel down to Bedford! Yes - I am MAD - both by name and by nature!
    I have to agree, madness! I won't get out of bed for less than a cuppa!

    OK well I have to respect you for that, you obviously feel very strongly for SIMS.

  11. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    Sivadam (21st July 2010)

  12. #26
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Thank you.

    And yes I do!

    I will support anybody who I think has a genuine issue and will even represent their views when I see Capitaes Staff - and some users around the country could tesify to that.

    However - just knocking the Product, in what I regard as an inappropriate manner, will initiate similar responses that you have witnessed lately!

    If the original post that started all this was about the Software then I may have been able to help more - especially via the official support mechanism! (I would still have contradicted one statement, however.) Whilst I understand some of the Technical side I do not attempt to help with this as it is not my forte and I have a colleague who is excellent in this field! Hence, we make a good Team!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st July 2010 at 01:59 PM.

  13. #27

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,779
    Thank Post
    714
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    ....
    However - just knocking the Product, in what I regard as an inappropriate manner, will initiate similar responses that you have witnessed lately!

    If the original post that started all this was about the Software then I may have been able to help more - especially via the official support mechanism! (I would still have contradicted one statement, however.) Whilst I understand some of the Technical side I do not attempt to help with this as it is not my forte and I have a colleague who is excellent in this field! Hence, we make a good Team!
    Perhaps what would be useful is that you start a new thread to counteract the 'inappropriate knocking' of SIMS, and limit posts in original thread to actual help.
    So for example when someone says " I hate SIMS, it's crap! I keep getting reason 0 errors." You link to the relevant KB, then start another thread to tell the world that as mentioned elsewhere 'link' - "SIMS is wonderful and 22000 other schools think so".

    It's not a nice way to have to do things but may be the way things have to go, as they have in the Educational Jobs Forum, where discussion has to be sidelined, so as not to distract from the aim of the original post.

  14. #28
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    I disagree totally.

    Users should be 'educated' into posting their issues without unjustifiably knocking a product through what may be insufficient knowlege, or for any other reason. All that does is annoy, and probably alienate, the very people that may be able to supply a positive answer! I certainly know that it is not the best way to illicit my help!

    The actual product is immaterial!

  15. #29

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I disagree totally.

    Users should be 'educated' into posting their issues without unjustifiably knocking a product through what may be insufficient knowlege, or for any other reason. All that does is annoy, and probably alienate, the very people that may be able to supply a positive answer! I certainly know that it is not the best way to illicit my help!

    The actual product is immaterial!
    I certainly agree with that. I have ignored a few posts that are very negative. SIMS has it's faults there are things needing change but there is a process for that. Some one complains that things are not working and they get a certain error, what help is "well they should change the error message" "they should re-write the program". The Error is known and lots of negative, jump on the bandwagon SIMS knocking posts are no help to someone who hopes that the email notification is someone who is able to help. Instead they get a loop message of 'SIMS is rubbish'. Lots of things are rubbish but saying so doesn't fix it, being proactive in Change requests and User groups does.

  16. Thanks to creese from:

    Sivadam (21st July 2010)

  17. #30

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,779
    Thank Post
    714
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I disagree totally.

    Users should be 'educated' into posting their issues without unjustifiably knocking a product through what may be insufficient knowlege, or for any other reason. All that does is annoy, and probably alienate, the very people that may be able to supply a positive answer! I certainly know that it is not the best way to illicit my help!

    The actual product is immaterial!
    So somebody is desperate for a fix, they can't log into SIMS, they don't understand what is on SupportNet or aren't allowed to use it or whatever other reason. They have logged a case, but are awaiting a response, and they come to EduGeek.

    They are peeved, so make some slight against the ever wonderful Capita, and instead of helping them, we take them aside and tell them off for 'unjustifiably knocking a product through what may be insufficient knowlege', rather than help with the problem, and say 'see it's not so bad afterall.'

    Or, we just help them, which is what most people here want to do, and maybe, just maybe, they fix the issue and the teachers log in and get their legal registration or whatever other task done.

    I don't feel alienated. Does anyone else?

    Yes, sometimes people get things wrong, and there are plenty of threads here where people are directed to SupportNet, and the right solution without your intervention.

    Telling someone who is asking for help, they did it wrong is just going to alienate them.

    But that's only my opinion. 22,000 tech elsewhere will no doubt disagree.

    @Creese; - in the recent thread about reason 0, the derailment about error messages was partly caused by this so called 'education'. it was a reaction to that post which escalated and required the thread to be split. by that time all known solutions were listed already anyway, a lot of help was from yourself too.

  18. 3 Thanks to vikpaw:

    rh91uk (22nd July 2010), RingOfFlame (21st July 2010), Soulfish (22nd July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Supportnet down
    By meastaugh1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th September 2009, 07:44 PM
  2. SupportNet poll
    By matt40k in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 6th July 2009, 08:26 AM
  3. SupportNet down?
    By matt40k in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th May 2009, 11:27 PM
  4. SupportNet
    By matt40k in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th November 2008, 09:53 AM
  5. Supportnet
    By Jamie_a in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th October 2007, 08:54 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •