+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81
MIS Systems Thread, Error Messages !! in Technical; We are running sims in our school i dont know why we bother with it so many errors worst program ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Exclamation Error Messages !!

    We are running sims in our school i dont know why we bother with it so many errors worst program ever but the problem is
    we keep on getting this reason 0 does anyone know what it mean please we are kind of confussed now

    [ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE]
    The above post was originally part of a different thread which got derailed into commentary on the wording of the original request for help and the wording of SIMS error messages.

    It is included here for context only, if you are looking for help with the Reason 0 error the original thread is here http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-systems/60050-sims-reason-0-a.html
    Last edited by vikpaw; 20th July 2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Avoid confusion

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    0
    Thank Post
    69
    Thanked 283 Times in 236 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Exclamation [SIMS] Error Messages !!

    There's no excuse for error messages like this.

    However, they do have comic value. Netpositive (a browser for BeOS) made error messages an art and expressed them in haikus. NetPositive error messages

    My favourite is:
    Errors have occurred.
    We won't tell you where or why.
    Lazy programmers.
    and

    The code was willing
    It considered your request,
    But the chips were weak.
    A file that big?
    It might be very useful
    But now it is gone.
    Login incorrect.
    Only perfect spellers may
    Enter this system.
    Last edited by jinnantonnix; 19th July 2010 at 11:44 AM.

  3. #3
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by akitajewski View Post
    We are running sims in our school i dont know why we bother with it so many errors worst program ever but the problem is we keep on getting this reason 0 does anyone know what it mean please we are kind of confussed now
    One should not blame the software if one does not really understand how to set it up correctly ...........
    Should one?
    SIMS is a superb system! 22,000 schools cannot all be wrong!

  4. #4

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,151
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 767 Times in 578 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    One should not blame the software if one does not really understand how to set it up correctly ...........
    Should one?
    SIMS is a superb system! 22,000 schools cannot all be wrong!
    If such a wonderful system then why are they too lazy to provide meaningfull error messages rather than 'Reason 0'?

    Yes SIMS is a pretty good system, but the sun doesn't shine out of it's backside as you intimate and yes 22,000 schools 'can' be wrong

  5. #5

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    If such a wonderful system then why are they too lazy to provide meaningfull error messages rather than 'Reason 0'?

    Yes SIMS is a pretty good system, but the sun doesn't shine out of it's backside as you intimate and yes 22,000 schools 'can' be wrong
    On pretty much every occassion Reason 0 means it cannot access the database, so how can it then provide anything more meaningful? Have the correct paths, access rights and make sure the SQL is running (pretty crucial this :-) ) and you won't get the error. If you get it on a regular basis, you're doing something very wrong.

  6. Thanks to creese from:

    Sivadam (19th July 2010)

  7. #6
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    On pretty much every occassion Reason 0 means it cannot access the database, so how can it then provide anything more meaningful? Have the correct paths, access rights and make sure the SQL is running (pretty crucial this :-) ) and you won't get the error. If you get it on a regular basis, you're doing something very wrong.
    Well said Creese!
    It was comments such that I highlighted that convinced me I should start contributing here in the first place.
    I know that there are faults with SIMS - as there are with every other MIS no doubt. I prefer to direct my criticisms directly to the staff at Capita. They are more likely to listen to an informed voice rather than repond to, what used to be very frequent, adverse (and often untrue) statements on forums such as this!

    Teejay - please clarify that to 21,999 schools can be wrong. I suspect that there would be very, very, very many of the other 21,999 that would argue with your statement tho'!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 19th July 2010 at 09:21 PM.

  8. #7

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Well said Creese!
    It was comments such that I highlighted that convinced me I should start contributing here in the first place.
    I know that there are faults with SIMS - as there are with every other MIS no doubt. I prefer to direct my criticisms directly to the staff at Capita. They are more likely to listen to an informed voice rather than repond to, what used to be very frequent, adverse (and often untrue) statements on forums such as this!

    Teejay - please clarify that to 19,999 schools can be wrong. I suspect that there would be very, very, very many of the 19,999 that would argue with your statement tho'!
    We have migrated over 100 schools in the last couple of weeks, 30+ to go. Changing the connect.ini and sims.ini are documented and pretty obviously necessary to make the thing work. A basic knowledge of the setup is necessary, as you say. If a PC has an IP of 127.0.0.1, does any expect it then to tell them why it is not connecting to the network, Capita's equivilant is reason 0 and equally as simple to fix.

  9. #8

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,151
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 767 Times in 578 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    On pretty much every occassion Reason 0 means it cannot access the database, so how can it then provide anything more meaningful? Have the correct paths, access rights and make sure the SQL is running (pretty crucial this :-) ) and you won't get the error. If you get it on a regular basis, you're doing something very wrong.
    Erm, 'Cannot connect to database' would be slightly more usefull.

  10. #9

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Erm, 'Cannot connect to database' would be slightly more usefull.
    Potato tomato

    Edit: The actual words are: SIMS Connection failed for Login USERNAME reason 0. The first 3 words are a big clue.
    Last edited by creese; 19th July 2010 at 02:20 PM.

  11. #10

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,151
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 767 Times in 578 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Well said Creese!
    It was comments such that I highlighted that convinced me I should start contributing here in the first place.
    I know that there are faults with SIMS - as there are with every other MIS no doubt. I prefer to direct my criticisms directly to the staff at Capita. They are more likely to listen to an informed voice rather than repond to, what used to be very frequent, adverse (and often untrue) statements on forums such as this!

    Teejay - please clarify that to 19,999 schools can be wrong. I suspect that there would be very, very, very many of the 19,999 that would argue with your statement tho'!
    So that's 2001 unsatisfied customers you admit to then?
    Don't get me wrong, overall SIMS is a good program, what I am objecting to is your fanboy approach whenever anyone posts on here with obvious frustrations with SIMS and/or problems running it on their network.

  12. #11
    Sarconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    315
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    SIMS is a superb system! 22,000 schools cannot all be wrong!
    I don't really think they've ever had much other choice when it comes to the MIS market.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I prefer to direct my criticisms directly to the staff at Capita.
    To which department I wonder...

  13. #12

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,151
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 767 Times in 578 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Potato tomato

    Edit: The actual words are: SIMS Connection failed for Login USERNAME reason 0. The first 3 words are a big clue.
    And the first 3 words are the same whether Reason 0 or 999999, so no, it isn't a big clue.

  14. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    452
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 66 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    The "I pretend to take on board what your saying and then disregard any useful advice department"

  15. #14

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    And the first 3 words are the same whether Reason 0 or 999999, so no, it isn't a big clue.
    Sorry but you are wrong. Reason 0 means it cannot connect.

  16. #15

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    There are 9 possible fixes for Reason 9. These are due to:
    1. Incorrect setup of SQL
    2. Incorrect connection file
    3. Unfinished upgrade (indicated)
    4. Incorrect setup of SQL
    5. Insufficient disk space
    6. Firewall
    7. SQL not running
    8. TCP/IP problems
    9. SQL connection.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pics] [More] Mystefying Windows Error Messages/Status Messages
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31st August 2009, 02:11 PM
  2. VMWare Error Messages
    By Sylv3r in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd March 2008, 03:07 PM
  3. Weird error messages
    By _Bat_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th November 2006, 08:50 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •