+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 81
MIS Systems Thread, Error Messages !! in Technical; Oh come on Sivadam. It is pretty apparrent by the volume of complaints on this site about SIMS.net that there ...
  1. #16

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,381
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    891
    Oh come on Sivadam. It is pretty apparrent by the volume of complaints on this site about SIMS.net that there are a good number of unhappy customers.

    I will give SIMS.net credit when credit is due. It isn't a bad system, but the QA and overall finish to the product is relatively poor - things like column headings not reorganising a list, functions existing but not being at all visible or apparent to the untrained eye etc... An example - why is there a 'future' option when browsing pupils but this option doesn't include pre-admission pupils? Why does the batch import of photos segregate males and females for alphabetising? Why are some pre-admission tutor groups listed in red, and some (simply because they have the same name and person, but are in fact an entirely different group) are listed in black?

    There is a long list of such irritations that get brought up on here regularly, yet you consistently jump to the conclusion that it is simply user error. User error is when a product is poorly designed. User error shouldn't exist, if a product is well designed.

  2. Thanks to localzuk from:

    vikpaw (20th July 2010)

  3. #17

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,249
    Thank Post
    289
    Thanked 792 Times in 601 Posts
    Rep Power
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Sorry but you are wrong. Reason 0 means it cannot connect.
    From SupportNet:
    KB72254: SIMS Connection failed for Login USERNAME reason 0
    KB72431: SIMS Connection failed for login USERNAME reason 3
    KB72234: SIMS Connection failed for Login UserName reason 2
    KB72328: SIMS Connection failed for Login USERNAME reason 1

    So no, you are wrong, you get the same error message with a different reason code depending on the connection failure. What I'm saying is something more informative than 0-9 or however many numbers they plan to go up to would be usefull.
    Last edited by teejay; 19th July 2010 at 03:49 PM.

  4. #18
    RingOfFlame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    192
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 69 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    One should not blame the software if one does not really understand how to set it up correctly ...........
    Should one?
    SIMS is a superb system! 22,000 schools cannot all be wrong!
    Just because a product is used by 22,000 people does not mean it in any good. Windows ME / Vista anyone :P

  5. #19

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,258
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    From SupportNet:
    KB72254: SIMS Connection failed for Login USERNAME reason 0
    KB72431: SIMS Connection failed for login USERNAME reason 3
    KB72234: SIMS Connection failed for Login UserName reason 2
    KB72328: SIMS Connection failed for Login USERNAME reason 1

    So no, you are wrong.
    Your point?

    The thread is about reason 0, which has 9 possible fixes ALL which stop the client connecting, so no I'm not. 1, 2 and 3 are for a different thread with different solutions. Diverting to other errors are no help to the OP whatsoever.

  6. #20

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,249
    Thank Post
    289
    Thanked 792 Times in 601 Posts
    Rep Power
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Your point?

    The thread is about reason 0, which has 9 possible fixes ALL which stop the client connecting, so no I'm not. 1, 2 and 3 are for a different thread with different solutions. Diverting to other errors are no help to the OP whatsoever.
    Please re-read your previous posts, first claiming that the first 3 words show the error, which it doesn't and then you claimed there was only a reason 0 for connection failure, when there are loads or reason codes for connection errors, all of which have different solutions.

  7. #21

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,258
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Please re-read your previous posts, first claiming that the first 3 words show the error, which it doesn't and then you claimed there was only a reason 0 for connection failure, when there are loads or reason codes for connection errors, all of which have different solutions.
    I give up, I'm glad you are not at the end of my phone.

    Cannot connect = cannot connect. Simple. I'm sorry i cannot put it in any other language for you. Reason 0 = cannot connect. I never claimed it said why but I did say how could it say wahy as it was unable to connect to find out why. Round and round we go, where we stop no one knows.

    I love reason 0 it takes 2 minutes to solve. I'll now bang my head on the desk as some people are just argueing for the sake of it. The thread is about Reason 0. The thread has been answered.

  8. #22

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,381
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Potato tomato

    Edit: The actual words are: SIMS Connection failed for Login USERNAME reason 0. The first 3 words are a big clue.
    Creese, you said the above. ie. making out that 'SIMS Connection failed' explains what reason 0 means. Teejay is pointing out that 'SIMS Connection failed' is also used in other error codes, so the wording is not as useful as it could be.

    To the average user, that error message means nothing. Much like 'Memory fault' errors in Windows, or segfaults in Linux. I think what people are trying to say is that error messages should be human readable, and mean something, rather than being pretty generic - having one error code for 9 possible problems is a little vague to say the least.

  9. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

    teejay (19th July 2010), vikpaw (20th July 2010)

  10. #23

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,258
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    183
    Perhaps reading the whole of my posts would make more sense i.e. If the client cannot access the server/database how???? can it tell you why it can't?

    The thread is referencing Reason 0. This has a list of reason which are accessible via Supportnet or local support. Anyone who has been working on either for more than a week will be fully up to date with this error. As I have listed, there are 9 possible reasons, all bar one are due to incorrect setup of a worstation. It is nothing to do with printing, and if you have migrated to should have read where it says 'edit the connect & sims.inis.

  11. #24
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    So that's 2001 unsatisfied customers you admit to then?
    Don't get me wrong, overall SIMS is a good program, what I am objecting to is your fanboy approach whenever anyone posts on here with obvious frustrations with SIMS and/or problems running it on their network.
    Sorry but just to correct you and others that may think on the same lines. What I object to is a post that states (about SIMS) "i dont know why we bother with it so many errors worst program ever" when it is patently obvious the real issue is with how the system has been set up. There is no point blaming software that is not being used efficiently!

    Yes, we all have problems but there are ways of explaining these that do not criticise the software that may elicit more of a helpful response. As users of SupportNet will appreciate!

    Thanks teejay - I have now amended my earlier post to contain the correct number 21,999! Typing the wrong number kinda led to the post losing it's impact!

    And contributors should be aware that I will continue to challenge anybody who attacks SIMS for no good reason. I will also agree with those that bring up real issues and, as many SIMS users know, I report such issues quite regularly to Capita Staff.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 19th July 2010 at 10:29 PM.

  12. #25
    garrysaddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hogsthorpe
    Posts
    89
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Sorry but just to correct you and others that may think on the same lines. What I object to is a post that states (about SIMS) "i dont know why we bother with it so many errors worst program ever" when it is patently obvious the real issue is with how the system has been set up.
    Wouldn't there be a case therefore for the software to be far more user friendly in its set up, so that not only the 'experts' can get it right. Software that needs the services of 'experts' to set up and maintain and costs as much as SIMS is not in my estimation good software, and that goes for any software not just that used in schools. If ERP software in the business environment generated as many problems as SIMS seems to do then it would not survive very long!

  13. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barnet
    Posts
    87
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    However easy it is to deal with Reason 0 the point that error messages might be more friendly and also better documented is a well taken one. The error listing on supportnet, for example, frequently doesn't have messages recorded. With Reason 0 the first person to see it is going to be an end user so making what they see a little more firendly would remove some aggravation however I'm not sure which ivory tower this comes from.

    User error shouldn't exist, if a product is well designed.

  14. #27
    RingOfFlame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    192
    Thank Post
    101
    Thanked 69 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    when it is patently obvious the real issue is with how the system has been set up. There is no point blaming software that is not being used efficiently!.
    Maybe you should re-read the post.

    Quote Originally Posted by akitajewski View Post
    well it is not password because it works on other workstations i will check the ini file

    *edit*
    we have had it since a upgrade
    It would seem that SIMS caused the issue during the upgrade, and not the user. So it might be an idea to retract your comments blaming akitajewski and look closer to to home and blame the software that is at fault!

  15. #28

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,258
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    It would seem that SIMS caused the issue during the upgrade, and not the user. So it might be an idea to retract your comments blaming akitajewski and look closer to to home and blame the software that is at fault!
    Where does it say that? What was the upgrade? Was this a migration? Was the upgrade completed? Was the connect.ini checked? Was the helpdesk informed? Why has it been happening for so long? Who did the upgrade. Is the fault intermitant? Finally why come to a forum to ask about such a simple error message when the helpdesk/support team could have sorted this out in their sleep?

    Still up in the air as far as I am concerned. there are procedures, let's follow them. I am fully sympathic with obscure messages and Capita's failure to give us meaningful error messages but reason 0, after an upgrade? Call the Helpdesk or whoever upgraded (it's their job), don't blame SIMS. Sorry if that is too blunt but don't put up with a system that doesn't work properly when the answer is on the end of the phone.

  16. #29
    dwhyte85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,232
    Thank Post
    162
    Thanked 151 Times in 136 Posts
    Rep Power
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Your negative rep only makes me stronger
    I like it

  17. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

    RingOfFlame (21st July 2010)

  18. #30

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,894
    Thank Post
    751
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Rep Power
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Sorry but you are wrong. Reason 0 means it cannot connect.
    Surely though there are steps in the connection process with errors that could be caught along the way. Even some kind of debug output that would help the person responsible for fixing the issue to analyse quicker one of the 9 (?) possible issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    There are 9 possible fixes for Reason 9. These are due to:
    1. Incorrect setup of SQL
    2. Incorrect connection file
    3. Unfinished upgrade (indicated)
    4. Incorrect setup of SQL
    5. Insufficient disk space
    6. Firewall
    7. SQL not running
    8. TCP/IP problems
    9. SQL connection.
    Did you mean to say 'Reason 9'?
    Points 1 and 4 are the same. Is this from SupportNet?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 20th July 2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Removed irrelevant part of post



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pics] [More] Mystefying Windows Error Messages/Status Messages
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31st August 2009, 03:11 PM
  2. VMWare Error Messages
    By Sylv3r in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd March 2008, 04:07 PM
  3. Weird error messages
    By _Bat_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th November 2006, 09:50 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •