+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Pupil ID cards, pre-admission [Solved] in Technical; We have photos of all the new pupils who will be coming into school in September and we have their ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pupil ID cards, pre-admission [Solved]

We have photos of all the new pupils who will be coming into school in September and we have their names. However, the names are in SIMS.net and the photos aren't, and there doesn't appear to be a way to get them into SIMS.net before the pupils are actually admitted.

So, my question is - does anyone have an existing quick and easy way of making ID cards for pre-admission pupils?

The photos currently have no relation to the pupils other than being in class order alphabetically.

I know I could rustle up a small app to do it for me, but if someone already has a quick and easy solution, I'm up for looking at it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Did you intend to put this in general discussion?

Can't you import photos by reg group or some such, or does it still rely on using admission numbers?

You could admit the pupils early, but that's not recommended.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Did you intend to put this in general discussion?

Can't you import photos by reg group or some such, or does it still rely on using admission numbers?

You could admit the pupils early, but that's not recommended.
    Yes I did, as it isn't a SIMS issue as SIMS simply can't do what I want.

You can't import photos pre-admission from what I've seen.

So, I'm looking for a non-sims solution.

Thank Post
    I've not used the routine before and it looks weird, not sure how you match but the help seems helpful:

This method of importing is particularly beneficial for use with pupil/students who have been placed in pre-admission groups but have not yet been issued with admission numbers.
    • <LI class=kadov-p>Select Routines | Student | Batch Import Photographs |By Registration Group to display the Attach Photographs, for the students in registration groups page.
      <LI class=kadov-p>Click the browserbutton to display the Open dialog and navigate to the location of the pupil/student's stored images, e.g. C:\SIMS\PHOTOGRAPHS\STUDENTS.
      To select multiple images, highlight the first image, hold down the Shift key and use the down arrow button to highlight all the images in your selection.
    • Once you have selected the images to import, click the Open button to display the relevant file names in the Photographs panel.
      Highlighting individual file names enables you to view each photograph in the top right-hand pane of the page.

• <LI class=kadov-p>Locate the pupil/students to attach the images to by selecting the required Year, Reg or House from the drop-down lists and clicking the Search button. Click the drop-down arrow to change the As on Date field, if required.
      To restrict the pupil/student names displayed, select a particular Reg Group, e.g. if you select Reg Group 8A, the names of the pupil/students registered in this class will be displayed in the Students panel once you have selected Search.
      The As on Date field always defaults to today's date and is the date on which the search criteria is based, e.g. all pupil/students in Reg Group 8A today. The date can be amended either forward or back to change the selection of data available.

<LI class=kadov-p>Clickthe first file name in the Photographs list to view the associated image.
      <LI class=kadov-p>Ensure that the photographic images displayed are the expected ones for the selected Registration Group.
      If you are certain that the selected images relate to the specified Year, Registration Group or House, click the Attach All button to globally associate the photographs with the pupil/students. The number of pupil/students and file names selected must be the same before the Attach All button becomes active.
      NOTE: Care should be taken when globally associating photographs with pupil/students as some children may have been absent on the day of the photo session.

<LI class=kadov-p>In the Batch Photo Import - Students in Registration Groups pane, click the Select button and browse to the location of the school's stored Licence File.
      <LI class=kadov-p>Click the Attach All button to associate the images with the pupil/students.
    • Click the Import button to complete the process.
    make sure you filter before you search as it crashed my machine out twice, however that could be cos all my 16 bit subsystem is screwed since yesterday when i tried to run photolists for the whole school with my 1024*768 size photos!

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

localzuk (19th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. Looking at that now - will be interesting to try out. The most irritating thing I have spotted so far is that the list of pupils ignores the concept of 'alphabetical order'! Instead of going A-Z it seems to go A-Z and then again A-Z, splitting the tutor group into 2.

Which makes importing the photos a faff!

Thank Post
    It's not doing a gender split is it? I haven't really looked properly yet, i need to close all my open things and do a reboot as everything keeps hanging.
    Worst case, you can go into admissions and just attach photos manually if you don't have too many. We only have 200 this year.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not doing a gender split is it? I haven't really looked properly yet, i need to close all my open things and do a reboot as everything keeps hanging.
    Worst case, you can go into admissions and just attach photos manually if you don't have too many. We only have 200 this year.
    It is indeed doing a gender split. Still very irritating, as it doesn't let me turn it off. It just means that instead of 4 batches to import, I have to split them into 2 and do 8 batches.

Thank Post
    You mean you don't automatically segregate all your data by gender?!
    I guess i can move this to the MIS forum now...?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You mean you don't automatically segregate all your data by gender?!
    I guess i can move this to the MIS forum now...?
    You can indeed, and no? Why would we? There is no reason to do that.

Thank Post
    Clearly Capita have a good reason, presumably based on intensive user research, but to presume makes a pres out of u and me :P

Thank Post
    I'm not sure what the reason is...

I wouldn't split anything up by gender unless I were using it for reporting purposes...

Thank Post
    It's just another example of having a column heading that when you click on it, nothing happens.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A quick update to this. I have now created an ID creation utility which uses a couple of reports in SIMS.net (pre-admissions and on roll), exports some XML files and then uses these to create an ID (with the template for the ID being fixed with a bmp file as the background).

It also keeps track of when an ID was printed (so, if you're doing 700 of them and only get 200 done in a day, you can see where you're up to).

It is set up to work with our Magicard Tempo printer, but if anyone else would like a copy, I will make it available and try and make it so it works with more than just our printer here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Time to dig up my old thread, as it is that time of year again.

I am having an issue with one of the 5 reg groups for next year. I can find them in the drop down, but when I set the 'As on date' to next year, and filter by this reg group, I get no pupils as a result. This group is only visible if I press the 'Inactive items' button though, the rest are all existing groups.

How can I get this group to list its pupils?

Thank Post
    Hang on, your creating school ID cards for pupils that may or may not appear at the school?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast