+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS? in Technical; Hi all, I am going to be applying for a new job, as an IT Manager at a school, and ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SIMS?

Hi all,

I am going to be applying for a new job, as an IT Manager at a school, and have seen from the job spec that a knowledge of SIMS is desirable.

We don't use this system at my current college, so I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a good pesource for boning up on it, in readiness for any interview.

Many thanks, in advance (and rep to you for helping! Don't let it be said that I don't know how to bribe techies!!!!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here, I'm sure somebody will tell me if I am! Here's the basic user guide: GetStart_16972.pdf

In all honesty though, it's an incredibly simple system. I'd be very surprised if anybody with an IT background couldn't work their way around it within a day and be completely competent within a week, and these forums contain the answers to questions you never even thought to ask, just scan the MIS board

EDIT:
    due to the apparent flame bait this post has become, I just want to point out that I am not claiming that any Tom, Dick or Harry can become a SIMS expert in a week, simply that anybody with a good IT background will be competent enough to perform the basic tasks expected of them in a post advertised as 'SIMS knowledge desirable'. And yes, maybe a week is too optimistic, but that wasn't really the point, the point was that aerospacemango shouldn't worry too much about this part of the JD.

Now, can't we all just get along?
    Last edited by LosOjos; 13th July 2010 at 11:32 AM.

3. 3 Thanks to LosOjos:

aerospacemango (12th July 2010), LeMarchand (12th July 2010), speckytecky (13th July 2010)

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    How many years have you got?

There are no books or anything online. You would need to be working in SIMS, Catch-22.

The only way you can get a training database, legally, is to be registered with Capita. It's not something you would be able to pick up and bluff your way through an interview in a short time scale.

Sorry there is no more help.

5. Thanks to creese from:

aerospacemango (12th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I wouldnt advise on trying to blag it but if you wanted to find out more about what it is then go here and look for SIMS that relates to the school your're apply at:

Capita Children's Services - Home

Doesnt help much i know but gives you an idea as to what it does.

7. Thanks to apeo from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post

There are no books or anything online. You would need to be working in SIMS, Catch-22.

The only way you can get a training database, legally, is to be registered with Capita. It's not something you would be able to pick up and bluff your way through an interview in a short time scale.

Sorry there is no more help.
    I have to disagree with you here creese. I'm the Data Manager of a fairly large school (over 1500, sonn to be over 2500 students), and I had never even heard of SIMS until I read the JD for the job when I applied.

The nature of working on a database though is that if you have a sound understanding of how they work coupled with a firm grasp on IT in general, learning to use the front end is not at all difficult.

I'm not saying that anybody can roll in to a SIMS job, but that anybody competent with a PC and understanding of database's in general can quite happily perform the tasks required of them while they learn how to do the more complex tasks as they go along

9. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I have to disagree with you here creese. I'm the Data Manager of a fairly large school (over 1500, sonn to be over 2500 students), and I had never even heard of SIMS until I read the JD for the job when I applied.

The nature of working on a database though is that if you have a sound understanding of how they work coupled with a firm grasp on IT in general, learning to use the front end is not at all difficult.

I'm not saying that anybody can roll in to a SIMS job, but that anybody competent with a PC and understanding of database's in general can quite happily perform the tasks required of them while they learn how to do the more complex tasks as they go along
    So, are you talking about a knowledge od SIMS or a knowledge of databases? Two different things.

It would depend on what the job entailed in relation to SIMS. Setting up Marksheets, dealing with Timetables etc. or installing and fixing via the helpdesk/LA. Two totally different requirements.

I know of SIMS or I can work with SIMS? I've read about it or I've worked with it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They say SIMS knowledge is desirable - not required. And to be fair most schools would ask for knowledge of their MIS if possible, wouldn't demand it. They know that the likelihood of finding the right candidate that could perform the job they are employing for and have working knowledge of their MIS is quiet low - especially if they are expecting applicants from outside of education.

The thing here is to be honest. If they ask tell them you have never used it. Maybe mention you have experience of working on other similar SQL based management systems - if you do - other whys don't sweat it.

At the end of the day the only time it is going to become an issue is if they have two candidates that are both equally qualified and capable for the post that they can't decide between. If the other candidate just so happens to have SIMS knowledge then you probably wont get the job.

The question is does your C.V., experience, qualifications and knowledge trump everybody elses going for the job? If it does then lack of SIMS experience won't matter in the slightest.

12. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    Although I thanked LosOjos for the manual (first time I've ever seen one), I have to agree that it's not too difficult to pick up for someone who's computer literate. I rarely use SIMS (though all 4 of my schools use it) but can generally muddle my way through with no training whatsoever.

14. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your input. I shall be settling down with the application this evening, to fill it in, so will take on board what you've all said.

Almost 2 years in Edu environs.

The thing here is to be honest. If they ask tell them you have never used it
    Precisely what I plan to do. I figure that they'll see how much I've picked up in 2 years, and realise that SIMS should not be such a big step....At least I hope not!!

Thank Post
    Maybe my answer was a bit clumsey.

What I should have said was you will not pick up a working knowledge of SIMS and get through an interview if those interviewing do use SIMS. Better to admit you have heard of it, from this forum, than to try to blag your way through as someone who could sit at a test computer and carry out a test routine, as I have set up for many interviewees. You soon catch out those who have never worked with it before. As I said if it is only a desirable, you would get away with having tried to find out as much as possible and describe what it is.

Thank Post
    Hmm... by any chance are you located in Coventry?

In regard to using SIMS though, I think it all depends on the person. I was chucked straight into it as well and had never heard of SIMS either before I applied for my previous job but because I've been using PC's and all kinds of software since I was hmm... 10? I was able to find my way round it and it began to make sense in regard to how it all linked together after a while. On the other hand, someone who doesn't really use PC's a lot other than to say... occasionally send emails and surf the net will struggle like no tomorrow with it as it just won't make sense to them as they're not really a computer user and probably don't have a clue about files, databases or anything like that.

As you're I.T literate though, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you've used another MIS before.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Maybe my answer was a bit clumsey.

What I should have said was you will not pick up a working knowledge of SIMS and get through an interview if those interviewing do use SIMS. Better to admit you have heard of it, from this forum, than to try to blag your way through as someone who could sit at a test computer and carry out a test routine, as I have set up for many interviewees. You soon catch out those who have never worked with it before. As I said if it is only a desirable, you would get away with having tried to find out as much as possible and describe what it is.
    What kind of test? What did they have to do?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    Hmm... by any chance are you located in Coventry?
    Nope, I'm based in Sandwell

Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    As you're I.T literate though, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you've used another MIS before.
    That was the (very long winded) point I was trying to get at

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    What kind of test? What did they have to do?
    We have given practical as well as written test. Installing on a workstation. Checking why SIMS will not login. This is for a support/helpdesk role, finding out if someone can work logically through a problem.

Thank Post
    Nope, I'm based in Sandwell
    Ah, you just sounded like someone who I knew then! Never mind

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast