+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS? in Technical; Originally Posted by LosOjos I'm not saying that anybody can roll in to a SIMS job, but that anybody competent ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'm not saying that anybody can roll in to a SIMS job, but that anybody competent with a PC and understanding of database's in general can quite happily perform the tasks required of them while they learn how to do the more complex tasks as they go along
    I agree there is using SIMS, and using it in depth.

We have a lot of schools with very IT literate people that can "work out there way around" or "muddle through" SIMS. However, a lot of these don't put data in accurately (duplicate contacts etc, etc) or make any proper use of data once it is in. I defy a person to learn how to properly use Nova T or Assessment Manager either quickly or "just by having a play about".

As far as data lookup or data entry is concerned I agree - SIMS is really pretty easy (because it is a well designed application). Install and upgrade is also pretty straightforward for the most part. However get in depth with SIMS and it starts to get difficult.

Going back to the OP he says that "a knowledge of SIMS is desirable." This doesn't say to what level at all, I'd research SIMS a bit and be honest with them. Say you are willing to learn.

Good luck.
    Last edited by superfletch; 12th July 2010 at 11:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Ironically, there's a sims data manager job going where you live, in Sandwell!

Thank Post
    One reads with horror some of the posts in this thread.
    No wonder some schools get into a mess with their SIMS setups and data!
    (And I mean no offence to anybody on here!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    One reads with horror some of the posts in this thread.
    No wonder some schools get into a mess with their SIMS setups and data!
    (And I mean no offence to anybody on here!)
    Well that peeked my interest - care to elaborate?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Well that peeked my interest - care to elaborate?
    Just that SIMS is so vast and varied that it is difficult to have an overall understanding of all of it! You CANNOT just pick this up - unless of course you have a good mentor within the school who can help you along. It takes a great deal of time and experience to become proficient in all aspects of SIMS use.

If you do not grasp the relationship between Timetable, Academic Management and the rest of SIMS you are totally screwed. I have helped some schools out who thought they were well organised only for me to explain to them that some of their basics were wrong!
    To understand SIMS totally is a massive learning curve! And the more you learn the more you realise how little you did actually know in the first place!

To get the most out of SIMS you need a SIMS Manager in the school who does have this depth of knowledge that I describe!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 13th July 2010 at 08:11 AM.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Just that SIMS is so vast and varied that it is difficult to have an overall understanding of all of it! You CANNOT just pick this up - unless of course you have a good mentor within the school who can help you along. It takes a great deal of time and experience to become proficient in all aspects of SIMS use.

If you do not grasp the relationship between Timetable, Academic Management and the rest of SIMS you are totally screwed. I have helped some schools out who thought they were well organised only for me to explain to them that some of their basics were wrong!
    To understand SIMS totally is a massive learning curve! And the more you learn the more you realise how little you did actually know in the first place!

To get the most out of SIMS you need a SIMS Manager in the school who does have this depth of knowledge that I describe!
    I couldn't agree more, I was just too tired yesterday to get into discussions about proper knowledge of SIMS and the people who think it is an easy program to pick up. I'm still learning after 10 years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I couldn't agree more, I was just too tired yesterday to get into discussions about proper knowledge of SIMS and the people who think it is an easy program to pick up. I'm still learning after 10 years.
    Just a novice then?

Thank Post
    Agree with Sivadam, I think that the average IT Tech can figure out alot but to fully understand all of SIMS and its modules.. thats not something you can exactly figure out or gain overnight. Im not the Data or SIMS Manager so im not expected to know SIMS indepth but I'm suppose to fix it if its broke, which for the most part isnt that hard.

Thank Post
    Just a novice then?
    Frayed sew. Have very little idea of Nova and been too busy with Dinner Money etc in primaries to have much idea of Assessment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd agree that SIMS is a complex and powerful beast that you can't learn by reading 1 or 2 online training manuals 5 mins before an interview. But I think in terms of the OP the advice that has been given is pretty spot on. If he got the NM job I wouldn't expect him to be using SIMS to that level, probably ever. Essentially the imprtant bits - which can be picked up on the job - are updates and new users. I would expect the school to have timetablers, cover managers, data managers, exams officers, etc, in place with a far greater working knowledge of the product. In terms of support the system is pretty intuitive and has some excellent built in documentation. I would guess and say if the school required the NM to know more about SIMS they'd send him on any required training courses and/or have him work shadow some of the other key members of staff.

As for the job application/interview, personally I think there are more important things to worry about than SIMS. In fact I'd be surprised if it even came up in interview regardless of what he puts down on the C.V.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=tmcd35;541210]I'd agree that SIMS is a complex and powerful beast that you can't learn by reading 1 or 2 online training manuals 5 mins before an interview. But I think in terms of the OP the advice that has been given is pretty spot on. QUOTE]

I think it is quotes like this "In all honesty though, it's an incredibly simple system. I'd be very surprised if anybody with an IT background couldn't work their way around it within a day and be completely competent within a week," that we are talking about.

If there is someone out there who can be 'completely competent' in a week, from scratch................ do you want a job? You could easily get £35,000.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Precisely what I plan to do. I figure that they'll see how much I've picked up in 2 years, and realise that SIMS should not be such a big step....At least I hope not!!
    We have given practical as well as written test. Installing on a workstation. Checking why SIMS will not login. This is for a support/helpdesk role, finding out if someone can work logically through a problem.
    I think you should mention any MIS systems /DB that you have worked with in previous work, especially in education. If none, the educational jobs would have had some kind of method be it word documents for reports or access, spreadsheets etc but you can explain what you did. If you can show the potential employer your skill in working with any kind of system and the users of that system then it's a good sign.

As creese said, displaying an ability to learn and be able to problem is key.

SIMS is constantly changing and new things get added all the time, so an ability to learn to adapt, and also to train others in new skills is vital. Just to say you know this about SIMS would go down well with a future employer. As it's probably not a key part of your role, understanding of server environments and SQL would be strong points anyway.

Then just hope that the competition haven't heard of SIMS either, you never know, they may come in bragging they've been playing it for years

good luck.

Thank Post
    I think it is quotes like this "In all honesty though, it's an incredibly simple system. I'd be very surprised if anybody with an IT background couldn't work their way around it within a day and be completely competent within a week," that we are talking about.

Agreed. One only has to look at the Technical Forum on SupportNet to see the lack of understanding by some users! And that is just referring to the Technical side - a mere drop in the ocean of SIMS Understanding!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 13th July 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Imagine a situation where you have someone on the phone, almost in tears, they have OFSTED tomorrow and they need a new machine installed and up and churning out reports, like now!!!! No infrastructure and you have to do it over a slow VNC connection....... then design the reports for her/him. Then declarte you only read the manual a couple of days before you were given the job.

15. Thanks to creese from:

superfletch (17th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Imagine a situation where you have someone on the phone, almost in tears, they have OFSTED tomorrow and they need a new machine installed and up and churning out reports, like now!!!! No infrastructure and you have to do it over a slow VNC connection....... then design the reports for her/him. Then declarte you only read the manual a couple of days before you were given the job.
    Stepping over what that says about a teacher who probably knew for more than a day that OFSTED are coming... Is the NM the right person to be designing reports? We've been discussing this alot here since we are just starting the move over to SIMS from a lesser MIS. I think we've agreed that as NM it's important that I gain as much overall knowledge of the system as possible, and designing reports is something I think I can do, I'm not expected to do it as part of my day to day job. This is what the data manager is being paid for, atleast that's how it's currently sitting here.

Also, if a school appoints a new NM knowing he has little previous experience of SIMS (I'd say a very likely possibility) then they are hardly going to blame the NM for lack of knowledge

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast