+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Pupils one to one interview in Technical; We are printing pupil report from SIMS for interview and staff make the notes on that sheet during the interview/review. ...

Thank Post

Pupils one to one interview

We are printing pupil report from SIMS for interview and staff make the notes on that sheet during the interview/review.

We are looking forward to do this process live on SIMS, I have looked different options but can't achieve everything with one solution.

I would like to now what other school are using, where teacher have ready academic report on SIMS which he can edit to make notes and end of process head of year can review as whole year.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 810 Posts
    We use Assessment Manager 7 for this, just add in an additional comments column to your report sheets for one to one notes. Of course doing it this way, the teacher has to make sure the pupil can't read the screen and see notes on other pupils

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    They can always type it in word, and save it as they go, and just copy paste it once interview is ended. then reuse that document for next kid.
    benefit being if sims is left open for ages, and there's a risk of it crashing out, at least the text is saved in word.
    it hides the info from student too.

profiles could be another option, but for flexibility, like losojos, i prefer assessment manager 7.

Thank Post
    We are using AM 7 with additional column, as linked document but due to some reason don't allow staff to edit it and upload again. We are not using profiles but planning to use it and after that we can see if we can manage with profiles.

The main things is head of year end of 230 page reports to review. He wants to import everything in excel sheet so he can easily sort the data.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RCS_USER View Post
    We are using AM 7 with additional column, as linked document but due to some reason don't allow staff to edit it and upload again. We are not using profiles but planning to use it and after that we can see if we can manage with profiles.

The main things is head of year end of 230 page reports to review. He wants to import everything in excel sheet so he can easily sort the data.
    When you say linked document, are you creating individual reports and uploading them to the document server? AFAIK, you can't edit these once they're in. Easiest way if teachers can't enter data directly in to SIMS for some reason is to export formatted marksheets which tye can enter the data to in Excel, then it'll import back in to AM7 easily.

Alternatively, do whatever it is you're doing now, but re-upload to the DMS when a change is made, creating a newer version. Not the tidiest method though.

Thank Post
    If you are recording something outside SIMS that will be read into AM later, it's best to use Excel. That way you can export from AM and then import in one go rather than cut and paste.

VikPaw, I may regret saying this but SIMS should not be crashing out!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I just had Matthew Norris words echo in my head when I read this, "we have a course on that", perhaps you a service for that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    If you are recording something outside SIMS that will be read into AM later, it's best to use Excel. That way you can export from AM and then import in one go rather than cut and paste.

It's not often but does happen to a variety of people doing various tasks. I put it down to: leaving SIMS open for too long so it's eating up lots of memory, leaving a record open for too long and it timing out, and two people with edit rights having the same record open. Or any combination of those. They may not be valid reasons, but i still tell people everyday, it doesn't matter what you are working on, just save frequently. Don't stop to answer the phone, talk to someone, make a cuppa without saving - just to be on the safe side.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    It's not often but does happen to a variety of people doing various tasks. I put it down to: leaving SIMS open for too long so it's eating up lots of memory, leaving a record open for too long and it timing out, and two people with edit rights having the same record open. Or any combination of those. They may not be valid reasons, but i still tell people everyday, it doesn't matter what you are working on, just save frequently. Don't stop to answer the phone, talk to someone, make a cuppa without saving - just to be on the safe side.
    Same here Vikpaw, I'm constantly drumming it in to people to save their work regularly.

@PhilNeal: SIMS is quite unstable at times, in fact SupportNet seem to recognise this, try finding the solution to this long term problem. It occurs randomly and regularly for users who have been logged in for a while, and the advice given is along the lines of "we are aware of this problem, but it's proving difficult to find a reason" (there doesn't seem to be a way of searching by fault code?):SIMS Error.gif

Also, there are a few areas of SIMS where an error occurs and you are completely thrown out, whereas a warning would have been enough (seems the error isn't being handled in the code). One such area is when you try to set an effective ethnicity end date before the start date.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread