+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Intouch - Have you signed up? in Technical; Hi, New member here. I would like to hear from schools that have signed up for the new Sims Intouch ...

Thank Post

Sims Intouch - Have you signed up?

Hi,

New member here. I would like to hear from schools that have signed up for the new Sims Intouch module. What do you use at the moment and how has this affected your schools strategy for ICT 2010/2011.

Regards,

Ben

Thank Post
    Supposed to be getting a presentation from Capita on this at our next local network managers meeting. Be interested in any schools that are using this, particularly if you moved from parentmail or one of the other providers?

Thank Post
    We looked into it but found out that currently it will not recieve Voicemails from parents which means its not really any good to us as we use Truancy Call heavily.

However, I have been informed by Capita that the voicemail facility will come in future releases of InTouch but no date was given.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    what's it cost?

Thank Post
    We currently use a Bromcom txt system and standard voice mail box for parents. These are the costs that we received from Capita last week:

1. SIMS InTouch Licence 600 texts included 2,995

2. Annual Maintenance (Full Year) 995
    3. In Touch Installation Service* 495

Half a day remote service to install SIMS InTouch.
    *Installation Discount, if InTouch is ordered before 30.06.10 -495

4. Lesson Monitor Licence 4,495
    5. Lesson Monitor Annual Maintenance (Full Year) 1,995
    6. Lesson Monitor training 1 day 1,150

6. Thanks to BClayton from:

BatchFile (29th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Not sure about InTouch, i'm hearing it's still early days, and lacks certain functions.
    Lesson Monitor is cool if you're sticking with the SIMS platform. We got it last year, and forsake the training day - i did it all, but i'm not sure if they'll sell it to you without in the UK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BClayton View Post
    We currently use a Bromcom txt system and standard voice mail box for parents. These are the costs that we received from Capita last week:

1. SIMS InTouch Licence – 600 texts included 2,995

2. Annual Maintenance (Full Year) 995
    3. In Touch Installation Service* 495

Half a day remote service to install SIMS InTouch.
    *Installation Discount, if InTouch is ordered before 30.06.10 -495

4. Lesson Monitor Licence 4,495
    5. Lesson Monitor Annual Maintenance (Full Year) 1,995
    6. Lesson Monitor training 1 day 1,150
    The installation fee is the bit that niggles me. Schools that buy their support from their LA have to pay again for Capita to remote on and install it. With Capita now pushing their technical training courses, why isn't Intouch installation offered to LA's to reduce the costs to schools. Seems a bit greedy to me.

Thank Post
    Yeah, I mean after all... 500 for an install? It can only be a) Someone remotes on and installs a patch through DBupgrade (not hard) or b) Someone remotes on and runs an installer package and clicks next 10x (also not hard).

1150 for one days training? *falls over* Maybe I should start selling training!

Also, I like the 600 texts included... but if you compare that to the prices quoted on the schoolcomms website of 65 for 1000 texts, it means those 600 texts are worth approx 39.

I'm struggling to see how this is in any way not a rip off when compared to schoolcomms... for the same price you could get their most expensive multi user 1500+ students license and 20,000 texts.

Thank Post
    12K initial and 3K yearly to send text messages / voicemails to parents?

I really need to start writing MIS addons.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    Yeah, I mean after all... 500 for an install? It can only be a) Someone remotes on and installs a patch through DBupgrade (not hard) or b) Someone remotes on and runs an installer package and clicks next 10x (also not hard).
    You're obviously used to a much better level of service
    What about option c) a trainee is sent out to your site, arrives at 9am and asks that everyone is logged off the db. First step is to do a backup, this takes up nearly 30 minutes, as we also manually backup the whole S drive just in case. They proceed to try and apply the patch they brought on a memory stick but if fails, so they have to phone HQ and ask it to be emailed, but it gets quarantined. We eventually breach network security to get the required files, and then start with an install wizard, after clicking next a few times, there's a user input box, for which we have to call HQ again, and speak to the installation team expert, however he is out of the office, dealing with more important schools. We eventually, 20 mins later, get told to type in D:\sims, and at last finish the installation. At this, point we are advised to take another backup before letting other users on the system. By the time we have done this it's nearly time to go home.
    option d) is when c) takes place but it still doesn't work, so we have to send out database back on the trainee's laptop for patching!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having seen Intouch it is a lot more integrated with Sims.net but question is that integration is it worth extra you are paying.

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 29th June 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Thank Post
    another question, will they be removing all the links that are embedded in SIMS for schoolcomms?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    another question, will they be removing all the links that are embedded in SIMS for schoolcomms?
    That depends on when the contract between them runs out and how friendly the companies still are. They were not competitors before, now they are. David Burgess (Director) moved from Capita to Schoolcomms last year, so maybe they will still play nice.

Talk of the Devil and I get this email.

"Dear Colleague

It was great to meet so many of you at the SIMS Conference last week. Thanks to those that attended our Elective presentation - the PowerPoint slides (including those from Becta) will be up on SupportNet shortly.

The purpose of this update is twofold: to give you advance notice of some Summer Special Offers available to schools (see email below) and secondly to pick up on a popular question from LA colleagues at the conference. Please feel free to make schools aware of the offers.

As many of you know, schools using Schoolcomms get additional buttons in SIMS that enable them to send messages (text and email) direct from the Student screens. These buttons appear on the main SIMS Student Details screen and also on SEN, Exclusions and Behaviour Management. Messages (e.g. reminders about forthcoming reviews, notification of an exclusion, praise cards for positive behaviour) can be immediately fired off when updating student information"
    Last edited by Banjo; 29th June 2010 at 03:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Might want to look at a similar thread --> [SIMS] Extra curricular

Before anyone asks I don't work or have any connection with Schoolcomms! I feel really sorry for these guys and other Capita partners in the same space (probably another 3 or 4 companies!)

Capita don't need to occupy this space and IMHO schools should NOT buy into InTouch as a protest! As usual Capita are trying to muscle in on EVERYTHING and expecting schools to pay through the nose. Vote with your feet folks or very soon all you'll be able to buy is Capita products.

Sorry for the strong views!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    12K initial and 3K yearly to send text messages / voicemails to parents?

I really need to start writing MIS addons.
    Pete ... I really wouldn't bother. You'll spend tens of thousands of pounds building your product and selling your product to the market, you'll spend thousands paying Capita to partner with SIMS.net and then after a while Capita will move into the market themselves, smashing you and all your hard work to smithereens despite the fact that you've been paying them for years. That's what happens in the education software market ... hadn't you noticed? :-) This thread makes this point precisely.

H.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast