+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS crashing out when running a report in Technical; Ditto....
    Thank Post
    Ditto.

Thank Post
    Hi everyone!

Thank you soo much for your flurry of replies! I am so sorry that I did not reply again yesterday afternoon - I had to fly to hospital - family matters.....

So to update now I have a clearer mind: (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Kind of supports your sig, doesn't it lol?

Back on topic: have you tried creating the report again from scratch? PITA but if it fixes it then you know the report has somehow become corrupted...
    Yes that sums up my SIG!

There are 3 "reports" that are having this issue however, 1 will actually run on another computer with the same username. I am attempting to verify this however.

Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    But rather than marksheets, it's more likely that the OP refers to individual reports, where hitting preview actually takes you to word, where as i don't know of any other option that does.
    the preview in data reports just shows them on screen.

EDIT: actually it's not more likely if i read the posts carefully, it's just more likely ind.reps. than marksheets which was the recent thought chain of last few posts.

it's defo got to be the print preview option that you get in excel based data reports, which i find really annoying and always uncheck!
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    LOL we are getting well confused but i think its defo something to do with Assessment.. i suggested Marksheets because there is a Print Preview button within Assessment/SIMS itself rather then an external application (such as Excel in this case). You can also export data and print it with marksheets. I think RSoP_Robbers needs to clear this up LOL.
    Sounds like he means the option you have when selecting report output to go straight to print preview, the report then exports into the appropriate office app (Excel in this case) and then goes into Print Preview.

Personally I'd tell the end user to live with the fact they have to press one more button to get print preview, but then I'm harsh like that
    I am sorry for the confusion that I may have caused here:

The fault occurs by going Focus -> Assessment -> Mark Sheet Entry.
    User selects custom created report.
    Double clicks on report to view it.
    User clicks Print
    User clicks Print Preview.

Excel begins to load and said error is produced.

There is a lot of politics surrounding this "issue" so it's like pulling teeth. :-(

Thanks again for everyone's help and comments!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    i think the problem here was that you use the terminology "user selects custom created report" which to us doesn't make sense. if you'd said, they open a marksheet, then we'd all be on the same page.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    i think the problem here was that you use the terminology "user selects custom created report" which to us doesn't make sense. if you'd said, they open a marksheet, then we'd all be on the same page.
    Agreed, marksheets and reports are very different things, and we're all getting a right mess here lol

On topic: if it's happening for only one user and other users can do this successfully, I'd be looking at their Excel settings for anything odd. Is it SIMS that crashes or Excel?

EDIT: just re-read your OP and saw that you already said it's SIMS. I'd still be looking at Excel settings though to be honest, SIMS can be a bit over zealous in its error reporting and close completely when it could have just given you a warning at times.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 30th June 2010 at 10:48 AM.

5. Thanks to LosOjos from:

RSoP_Robbers (30th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Hmm, this topic certainly has gone round in a few circles of confusion already!

I've not seen this error before, it sounds like it'd either be the settings in excel as LosOjos stated above or there is something wrong with the marksheet in AM7.

I'd run all of my usual checks such as checking what .net framework is installed, that all windows updates have been applied, running Validate Memberships + Database Diagnostics, although I'd say they probably wouldn't help with this (but it's best to do them anyway as really, you never know). If you've got full SQL and not the express version I'd say it might be worth running a trace using the SQL profiler, it doesn't take long and then at least then if any errors come up you'll know that it's a problem with a procedure in SIMS and not Excel and that it's time to go to Capita.

7. Thanks to Sarconia from:

RSoP_Robbers (30th June 2010)

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    As I said earlier the full error message would be a help, not just the numbers.

Thank Post
    Yeah 'report' means SIMS Report for most of us but no harm done.

Anywho back to your problem, I assume you have the same error if you clicked Print ie. instead of the Print Preview button, click Print which is in the same dialogue window. Could it be related to the printers installed for this user? Sometimes Assessment throws the teddy in the corner with some printers.

Thank Post
    Agreed, marksheets and reports are very different things, and we're all getting a right mess here lol

On topic: if it's happening for only one user and other users can do this successfully, I'd be looking at their Excel settings for anything odd. Is it SIMS that crashes or Excel?

EDIT: just re-read your OP and saw that you already said it's SIMS. I'd still be looking at Excel settings though to be honest, SIMS can be a bit over zealous in its error reporting and close completely when it could have just given you a warning at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    Hmm, this topic certainly has gone round in a few circles of confusion already!

I've not seen this error before, it sounds like it'd either be the settings in excel as LosOjos stated above or there is something wrong with the marksheet in AM7.

I'd run all of my usual checks such as checking what .net framework is installed, that all windows updates have been applied, running Validate Memberships + Database Diagnostics, although I'd say they probably wouldn't help with this (but it's best to do them anyway as really, you never know). If you've got full SQL and not the express version I'd say it might be worth running a trace using the SQL profiler, it doesn't take long and then at least then if any errors come up you'll know that it's a problem with a procedure in SIMS and not Excel and that it's time to go to Capita.
    Thanks guys!

Yes, I'm very sorry for the confusion!

There is a bit of a political background to this as mentioned so I can say very little. SIMS is not normally my responsibility so I have had to go away for a weekend and do a crash course on the in's and out's of the app so again, I'm sorry to be unprofessional with my troubleshooting here! I'll make it up to you all - promise!

I will have a look at the error output and see what that gives. I've had a look around the Excel settings and all appears to be in order such as macro setttings etc but I will double check all the same.

@ Sarconia - We are running the full version of Squirrel so will give that a try!

Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    As I said earlier the full error message would be a help, not just the numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Yeah 'report' means SIMS Report for most of us but no harm done.

Anywho back to your problem, I assume you have the same error if you clicked Print ie. instead of the Print Preview button, click Print which is in the same dialogue window. Could it be related to the printers installed for this user? Sometimes Assessment throws the teddy in the corner with some printers.
    Again - sorry guys!
    With regard to printers, we have even tried the Microsoft XPS writer! I am informed that it has previously worked but I intend to check the creation date of the marksheet all the same.

Thank Post
    Just to throw a load of ideas at the issue:
    What do these 3 marksheets have in common? do they use formulae or calculated columns, colours perhaps? Are you showing summary cells?
    Can you confirm that a straight print works?
    How many columns are there? There is a limit and if it's an old template brought back into use that could cause an infarction.
    The marksheets are only allocated to this user, but, if you give yourself assessment operator permissions, you can also see it. do you get the issue?
    it could be down to user settings. it's worth clearing the My SIMS documents folder in my documents / application settings.
    you've changed printer right, but try another set as default, maybe to pdf.
    Do you get any errors if you click on export and it takes you to excel.
    can you try a different version of office i.e. 2007. - there is a patch for when you switch your sims to start using office 2k7, but it's worth a try anyway.
    you could try cloning the template that this marksheet is based on and editing out columns to see if that makes a difference. Or just blanking it and starting again.
    give that user access to other marksheets and see if they get similar issues. perhaps just make them an assessment operator.

sorry for the random bombardment of ideas, i was just brainstorming based on the info you've given.

Thank Post
    Just for reference found this SupportNet forum id #20045 - http://support.capitaes.co.uk/newfor...91%E6%9B%D7%E7

Though the referenced KB article couldn't be found.

Hopefully if you've reported it to Capita then they might find a solution or at least publish some hints at resolving it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123