+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS messaging - permission issue? in Technical; Originally Posted by vikpaw But now when you search for staff, they at least appear there right? That's one step ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    But now when you search for staff, they at least appear there right? That's one step in the right direction.
    The users always appeared in the Staff list within System Manager, but not SIMS messaging section.
    I don't have access to SupportNet - I was never given the details from my Network Manager... just need to contact Capita, really.

Edit:
    She is listed in System Manager and is a member of the groups:

Admin Assistant
    Admission Officer
    Assessment Co-ordinator
    Assessment Operator
    Assessment Manager
    Class Teacher
    Exams Officer
    Exams Operator
    Pastoral Manager
    Returns Manager
    School Admin
    System Manager
    Timetabler
    View All Contact

She is definitely in the right place, but still not being listed under staff.
    Last edited by smitho1990; 28th June 2010 at 09:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    Yeah, what has been said above is correct.

Add the member of staff into Focus | Person | Staff

When in System Manager use the option which states 'add an existing user of the system' on the welcome screen and then select the user from the drop down list (they should appear, as this list populates from Personnel).

I really should write a little document explaining this issue as it's always something which just keeps coming up.
    She was already added.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smitho1990 View Post
    The users always appeared in the Staff list within System Manager, but not SIMS messaging section.
    I don't have access to SupportNet - I was never given the details from my Network Manager... just need to contact Capita, really.
    She is definitely in the right place, but still not being listed under staff.
    I think you're confusing 2 things here. A user can be in system manager, with all the correct permissions but if they were added incorrectly, then that wont tie in with the personnel record in SIMS.

When i said, they appear in the staff list, i meant the one via route Focus | Person | Staff as Sarconia said. Based on the fact you said you'd followed Superfletch's instructions to add the person into the SIMS personnel record.

Has this been done, i.e. can you find that person in SIMS, not in system manager. That's the first step.

After that, i would go to system manager and remove the person you have in there from the system. Then add them in again, as described using "add existing people as users of the system" option.

Sorry if you've already done this, but it's not clear if you've followed the steps in this order, and this is the first point in troubleshooting your issue.

Otherwise we are going around in circles. Even if you think you've done it the right way, there's no harm in removing the user in system manager, and adding them in again, that way you'll be sure.

As for access to capita SupportNet, it's best if you have your own account. It's quite a simple process to register so long as you have a school email account.

Go here SupportNet and register.

Thank Post
    Otherwise we are going around in circles. Even if you think you've done it the right way, there's no harm in removing the user in system manager, and adding them in again, that way you'll be sure.
    Yarp, I've done this twice now, just to make sure, and it still doesn't work.
    I spoke to someone at the Westfield centre (our Capita support centre) and he said he's seen it before;
    he reckoned that the bug sometimes occurs when a member of staff is readded to the system after being removed/account deactivated. When the account is re-added or reactiviated it will try to use the old database entries which are still "locked down" in a sense. There may be a possibility I will have to send off our database (rofl?!) to have it fixed/have the server patched.
    This would actually make sense as the three members of staff affected have all returned from maternity leave within the last year!

Thank Post
    sucks when you have to send the db off.
    does everything else work for them, i.e. can you give them a timetable, and they can take registers etc.
    i'm sure one of the issues was that they needed to be associated with a student, are they in manage classroom staff section ?
    what route do you take to send message? focus | alerts | general messages or some other way?

Thank Post
    what route do you take to send message? focus | alerts | general messages or some other way?
    Yes this is correct.
    They aren't assigned classes/timetables as they are administration staff.
    Major headacheeeee!

Thank Post
    if you're searching under the <any> or <non-teacher> roles and they are not there, then i'm out of ideas for now.

Thank Post
    brainwave: email them as a workaround!

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

smitho1990 (29th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    brainwave: email them as a workaround!
    Pah, good luck trying to get them to use something else than what they've been told to use.
    They complain enough as it is!

Thanks for your help though, Vik/everyone else - will post an update as and when our support gets back to me!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smitho1990 View Post
    Pah, good luck trying to get them to use something else than what they've been told to use.
    They complain enough as it is!

Thanks for your help though, Vik/everyone else - will post an update as and when our support gets back to me!
    LOL

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12