+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, [SIMS - FMS] GDI32.DLL error [Solved] in Technical; Hi All, We are having a new issue since upgrading the 7.128. Suffolk CC have posted a request for an ...

Thank Post

[SIMS - FMS] GDI32.DLL error [Solved]

Hi All,
    We are having a new issue since upgrading the 7.128. Suffolk CC have posted a request for an answer from Capita regarding permissions.
    Here's the problem.
    Windows 2003 R2 x64 Terminal Server with FMS and SIMS.net database running on a seperate server.
    We have 3 people who access the FMS database. Headteacher, Bursar and Reception. Bursar and Reception are normal users with average access. Headteacher is an administrator. The headteacher can access Reports > General Ledger > Fund Review > Select Year and click ok but when the Bursar or Reception try the get an Access Violation at address 7D8205B5 in module 'GDI32.DLL'. Read of address 00000044

Now obviously this is a permissions issue but the members of staff all have access and modification rights to C:\Program Files\SIMS and all subdirectories. They also have full access to C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS and Full control of PDOXUSRS.NET

Using a free viewer, i looked at GDI32.DLL to see what was the address, but to no avail.

Anyone available to help?

PS> Suffolk said to try a different workstation, i did explain its a TERMINAL SERVER all stations are the same with our thin clients.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    SimSperm.bat been applied?

Thank Post
    Yep.
    Ran from Administrator command prompt simsperm <OUR DOMAIN NAME>\Staff (staff being the security group)
    Bunch of commands came up. but still no joy.
    As with all Capita issues, they want you to grant full administrator access to users concerned. They are insane programmers, no security considerations. Im not giving users full access, last time i did that (about 4 years ago) every morning we had to turn on the server because someone had followed this route Start > Shutdown. Its ok with Group Policy but when you grant someone administrator access it by-passes all these. Plus numerous other security issues arise.

our support from Local LEA is stupid. Capita wont talk directly to me, i have to Log a call with the LEA helpdesk who then pass it on to the SIMS support team, who then call me for further details, then they call capita who come back to the lea who ask me to try what they suggest, if it doesnt work, LEA go back to capita and then come back to me. Its all so ridiculous. besides which, the lea dont support or seem to know much about terminal servers, domain security or anything.

Thank Post
    Just ran simsperm again, should have paid more attention.
    n, modified n, failed

It appears simsperm is failing

NO IGNORE ME...

done: n, modified n, failed n, syntax n
    SIMSPERM operated fine. but still no joy...you will have to excuse me. Just had first baby (3 weeks old) even though he sleeps through the night, your always listening out.
    Last edited by jamesloker; 21st June 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesloker View Post
    Capita wont talk directly to me, i have to Log a call with the LEA helpdesk who then pass it on to the SIMS support team, who then call me for further details, then they call capita who come back to the lea who ask me to try what they suggest, if it doesnt work, LEA go back to capita and then come back to me.
    This is one of the main reasons I pursuaded this school to opt out of LA Support and move to direct support from Capita. We have never regretted it!
    Then again, both my technical colleague and myself are both highly experienced and knowledgable in (between us) virtually all aspects of SIMS.

Thank Post
    Hmm, this one is a bit odd indeed. It sounds like Capita may have changed the permissions requirements (deliberately or by accident who knows) to access that particular area of FMS.

The only thing which I can possibly think of to suggest is to try giving the other staff members full access just to that one .DLL

Thank Post
    Already tried that.
    Also capita came back to the LEA saying the users require full control of the C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System32 directories.
    But i also tried all that and still no joy

Thank Post
    You need to edit the batch file to reflect the x86 program files directory.

if "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" == "" goto :skip_simsdir
    SubInAcl /FILE "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\SIMS\*.*" /GRANT=%1=F
    SubInAcl /FILE "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\SIMS" /GRANT=%1=F
    SubInAcl /SUBDIRECTORIES "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\SIMS\*.*" /GRANT=%1=F
    SubInAcl /SUBDIRECTORIES "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\SIMS" /GRANT=%1=F
    goto :after_simsdir_warning

Edit: I see you've already got full permission set. While this fixes the simsperm.bat it won't fix your issue.
    Edit: Ok, I read the original post more carefully (rather than the replies).

You could try altering the location of the paradox file with the config utility. See if the users are getting any files created in their home folders due to it being a TS.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 21st June 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Thank Post
    actually i think i recall a solution somewhere, not necessarily for this case, but it involved moving the file to another location, and then things worked better.
    if you don't want to grant full admin rights, you'll have to add permission folder by folder until you find where it is needed.

EDIT: Try C:\Windows and all below with full rights. or at least the temp folder as that could be used.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 22nd June 2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: edit it

Thank Post
    Still not working. Even when i gave the user full administrator rights (for testing only. soon reverted back) Im thinking it maybe the users profile? what do you guys think?
    Also, capita have no idea why its not working. The weirdest thing is, it stopped working over night....no updates from windows (i checked) it just decided one day...right im not working as of now...im going on strike.

Thank Post
    sounds like it. can you eliminate anything more, like trying it directly installed, not terminal served.
    it's only since the upgrade to 7.128 right? it's probably not relevant but i usually tell our FMS users to run sims and let it upgrade before running FMS, not sure how that affects terminal served, or if it affects the user profile..

Thank Post
    Didn't know you were on here James!!

Did you move pdoxusr to C:\program files (x86)\sims\fmssql?

Did you give the users FULL CONTROL to C:\program files\sims\ and progate the control.

Did you know x64 isn't support for clients (includes terminal server), only the server is supported (sql, file server, dms).

Assume SIMS .net and FMSQL are installed to C:\program files (x86)\sims not C:\program files\sims (as it's only 32bit).

Thank Post
    Hi Matt,
    Do you still work for SCC? i thought you left.
    I did give full control to the sims directory.
    x64 may not be supported but it works. It is only on the Fund Review and one of the Purchase Ledger things. I will ask Sue again tomorrow to verify. But everything else works fine. And as mentioned above, it works on other peoples.
    SIMS.net were originally installed in Program Files (x86) but a little while back we had an upgrade which moved everything to the x64 program files directory. We had a slight issue then but all that was, was the star7 path pointing to the wrong folder. I didnt tell it where to install, solus just did it itself. I will try the pdoxuser file thing. But that still doesnt explain why it works with 1 user and not with others. My account wont even load Finance. In the summer, i will be reinstalling the terminal server and adding a dedicated SQL server (no longer shared server)

Thank Post
    Still about, swamped under a mountain of calls, managed to get it under 50 today. Just harder to get hold of.

It's a 32bit app so it should be in a x86 folder, same with sims apps. Ok it's a 32bit app, so yes, it should all work fine, but it still doesn't change the fact it's not supported!

Are you sure you propagated the permissions?

Oh congrates on the little one, my boys 13 months now, he sleeps ok, just he an early bird

Thank Post
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks, we had a baby boy, Benjamin. He's pretty good at night touch wood. Sleeps generally from about 9/10 through to at least 3am before he needs a quick feed and change. Sometimes he sleeps through to 5am! but anyways
    Copied the pdoxusr file to the fms directory which is under ProgramFiles not ProgramFiles x86.
    Solus installed the software into the ProgramFiles directory during an upgrade. it even copied or moved everything across, so it appears to be aware that the x86 directory is different to the x64 program files.

Just spoke to Sue and she says its the Fund Review and Non-Invoiced Income which are having a problem.
    Everything else works fine. So its something to do with those areas...anyone from Capita wish to elaborate on what these areas actually need??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast