+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, 2010 Summer release in Technical; I tried the BETA a few days ago, really like the new Timetable reports. Really easy to use, few clicks ...

Thank Post

2010 Summer release

I tried the BETA a few days ago, really like the new Timetable reports. Really easy to use, few clicks and you're printing the student's timetables, either A5/4/3, easy to change font size, type. A3 would be good for sticking on the wall.

Also they've added emergency alerts, be good for on-call, which, I'm told will link into InTouch. So no more radios

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    cheers, sounds good. anything else new and dandy?

Thank Post
    I've attached the Pre-Release notes. Easier then me trying to remember!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    oh, i think i have that.
    colour in am7 reports though - w00t
    have you tried it yet? does it work?

Thank Post
    Not looked at AM stuff. I keep out of that particular hat.

Thank Post
    I'm looking to put this on over the summer purely for the new timetable options. Anyone found any gotchas anywhere in it yet?

Thank Post
    We have been running the Summer Release since it was first released. No issues with it apart from re-introducing the familiar conflicting marks issue.
    It didn't even break the Capita Hosted SLG! We are supposed to wait for that upgrade first, which was the weekend afterwards, but nothing was affected!
    I needed the Summer Release for various reasons as soon as it was available though I did want to check what had finally made the release in terms of the new Timetable Reports. Obviously, a number of the issues we found at the testing did not get fixed.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd July 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Obviously, a number of the issues we found at the testing did not get fixed.
    If an issue was found during the testing phase of a software release, why on earth wouldn't a company fix it before making it part of an official release?? Sigh

Thank Post
    From pre-release:
    Support for Windows Server 2008 R2 for SIMS Learning Gateway and Active Directory Provisioning System

Hmm, does this mean they now support AD domains in 2008 R2 level or have they still got to stay at 2008 level? Or is it just that you can install Learning Gateway and ADPS on a 2008 R2 server?
    Wish they'd got support for running SIMS on 2008 R2 through with this release, never mind.

The timetable printing is very good, just really wish they'd removed the Print Timetables link under reports as that is pointing to the old T4 mash up they did and you have to go through the Timetables menu option below it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raharley View Post
    If an issue was found during the testing phase of a software release, why on earth wouldn't a company fix it before making it part of an official release?? Sigh
    That is an old chesnut!
    Many issues are found during testing and are resolved before general release. That is the point of using real schools and LAs and real data!
    However, If Capita waited for every single bit of a new product to work everytime, with every single school in the country that uses SIMS, then no progress would take place at all. And how could they ever know that something doesn't work for a few schools anyway?
    Those that attend Field Trials and other Trials of new software have to agree that the new product is fit for purpose for first release. That does not mean that the testers are 100% happy. Indeed, many Enhancement and Change Requests may be made by the testers and it is hoped that these would be implemented asap after the intial release. They often appear in the CR Section of Support before most schools have had chance to see or use the software!
    As an example I was involved in the Testing of the new NovaT type Timetable Printing a couple of months ago (and the new List Reports before that). I have been a NovaT user since it's DOS days and have been a massive supporter of NT4 reporting - hence my presence at the meetings. In the new Summer Release you will not find a Year Timetable Report. It was there in the testing phase and, presumably, it worked on Capita's Test data. My timetable, however, has Bands, Sub-bands and Sub-sub-bands and this report could not cope with this level of complexity! The Team now have a copy of my Curriculum Plan for that particular year but I guess it will take a great deal of work to edit the code to deliver this report effectively.
    The Testing team recommended that this particular report should not be included in the Summer Release because, no doubt, other schools could have the same issue. The Reps from LA Support Desks were particularly keen that this report was not included, as they would have had to deal with the consequences when schools found out that it did not work for them. There was, however, no doubt that the product should be released. Hopefully, a Polishing Project will appear next year so that all the NT4 type reporting issues can be finally resolved (including those that are still in the Pupil List reports etc) before the death of NT4 Reporting. I will certainly be fighting hard for this - they can't kill NT4 until the issues are sorted! So you guys from Support Desks may want to remember that one - I may have saved you a lot of grief from your schools!

Teejay,
    The original Timetable Print option has been left in the release because Capita know that many schools may need/want to use this for this year, until they become familiar with the new reports - and, as I say, there are still issues that some of us are not happy about. I think that the old Routine is due to disappear with the Autumn Upgrade.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 23rd July 2010 at 10:20 PM.

11. Thanks to Sivadam from:

teejay (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Have to say that the delay in getting the decent reports into Sim.net from T4 is getting frustrating. Our Sims Manager and me have been playing around with the new reports and even though its a step forward they are still rubbish compared to T4.

You can't seem to change the footer size or remove the date.
    The lists come out in forename order not surname
    The none teaching periods use a full name rather than the timetabling code.. so if a teacher has a head of year free it writes the long name not the short name.

Currently our timetabler does the timetable in T6, syncs with .Net.. exports to T4 to do reports... if only there was a way do this all on one program.

Oh well... at least we can now send text messages to kids via Sims... which is much more important... anyone would think they are concentrating on generating new revenue rather than improving the current product... oops

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Teejay,
    The original Timetable Print option has been left in the release because Capita know that many schools may need/want to use this for this year, until they become familiar with the new reports - and, as I say, there are still issues that some of us are not happy about. I think that the old Routine is due to disappear with the Autumn Upgrade.
    Good point, thanks! Actually, after I've had a look at the new reporting bit in more detail, we are going to have to stick with the T4 stuff until they've ironed out the rough edges.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Have to say that the delay in getting the decent reports into Sim.net from T4 is getting frustrating. Our Sims Manager and me have been playing around with the new reports and even though its a step forward they are still rubbish compared to T4.

You can't seem to change the footer size or remove the date.
    The lists come out in forename order not surname
    The none teaching periods use a full name rather than the timetabling code.. so if a teacher has a head of year free it writes the long name not the short name.

Currently our timetabler does the timetable in T6, syncs with .Net.. exports to T4 to do reports... if only there was a way do this all on one program.
    Agreed!
    All the points you have noted were registered at testing.
    And yes - I still send to NT4 from NT6 for printing purposes but I have now set up some of the reports in the SIMS Routine. There are other issues that you have not mentioned! A Polishing Project is definitiely needed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    I'm looking to put this on over the summer purely for the new timetable options. Anyone found any gotchas anywhere in it yet?
    Since release there is this new thread, mostly discussion, but i've listed an issue i have linked below, that and the few posts preceding might be worth bearing in mind.
    [SIMS] 10 Summer released

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread