+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS slow after migration to SQL 2008 in Technical; Did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago from SQL 2005 to 2008, since then SIMS is running much slower ...

Thank Post

SIMS slow after migration to SQL 2008

Did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago from SQL 2005 to 2008, since then SIMS is running much slower with lesson registration taking up to 10 minutes to appear for random users.
    Used SQL 2008 Standard and have uninstalled SQL 2005, checked performance load and that seems fine as well.
    Oh, and have phoned Capita who want to charge us hundreds of pounds to send a consultant out to look at it even though we have a support contract.
    Sooo, anyone else done the upgrade and has it worked ok or has anyone any ideas on a fix?

Thank Post
    Bump...
    Has anyone else migrated their SIMS to SQL 2008 and have you noticed any loss of speed in SIMS?

Thank Post
    I've migrated numerous schools to SQL2008 and none have complained about the speed (there are a few schools who definitely would complain so if there were issues, I'd know about it!).

I'd try what I normally do when SIMS.net is running slow, restart the SQL service, apply the re-index patch (6635), run Validate Memberships + Database Diagnostics, check the database for corruption (DBCC CHECKDB WITH NO_INFOMSGS in SQL Management Studio), check the spec of the server vs concurrent users of SIMS.net, check event logs to see if there are any SQL errors. Other than that, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head which might cause slowdown.

4. Thanks to Sarconia from:

teejay (18th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, will remote in over the weekend and try the bits you've suggested that I haven't tried already.

Thank Post
    Yeah, thanks, I know the performance tuning stuff and disk layout, SIMS was really fast on SQL 2005, it's since we upgraded it to SQL 2008 that we've run into problems. I've even tried setting up a new db server, other db's work fine, SIMS runs like a dog.
    Just ran the 6635 patch and some the other stuff, it seems a bit better now, will have to wait till Monday to find out if thats done it. Time for a few beers me thinks, oh and I think there is some footy on tonight ;-)

Thank Post

Does anyone have a copy?

Does anyone have a copy of this patch, have upgraded our sql to 2008 about a month ago but is really slow... Could you email me a copy to alcofish_uk@hotmail.com ?

Thanks,

rick

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hekkenberg View Post
    Does anyone have a copy of this patch, have upgraded our sql to 2008 about a month ago but is really slow... Could you email me a copy to alcofish_uk@hotmail.com ?

Thanks,

rick
    rick you really should request this from your local support team, so they are aware of what you are doing. it's one that can be re-run on the system, unlike most others which are only run once, nonetheless it's best if you at least let them know of the issues you're having and what route you are taking to solve them, so they are in the picture.

Thank Post
    yeah thanks shall do that

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread