+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
MIS Systems Thread, Facility CMIS 2.8 build 34 in Technical; CMIS *doesnt it just give you that shudder down your back like if someone walks over your grave* CMIS / ...

Thank Post

Facility CMIS 2.8 build 34

CMIS *doesnt it just give you that shudder down your back like if someone walks over your grave*

CMIS / ePortal is the baine of my existance, constant problems, Attendance always has an issue, from not working at all to incorrect data to wrong codes.

Assessment Data - ePortal hates submitting any data at all by any user ever, the only person it seems to work for is me, so when i test something i always get told " you must have changed something" or "it didnt do that for me", i know theres problems but there seems to be nothing i can do to resolve the issue.

Reports, one day a report will work the next it wont.

Cover - When it works its not a problem as one person does it, the problem becomes is when it doesnt hes high up in the school, so i know about it.

But my biggest gripe of all is, I HAD JUST GOT IT RIGHT THINGS WERE WORKING MAYBE SLOW SOMETIMES BUT STILL THEY WORKED, so all i ask is name the guy in serco that wanted to make my life hell ? i want to meet him.

ePortal - Red, i mean red and white, i mean why just why *sigh*, on the plus they are in style sheets so this is easily changed i have attached the blue with modified pictures to this post for those who arent confident with css, you will have to modify the Gartree blue swop it with your name in a simple image editor.

Oh and hi to all of you, just wanted to vent some of my annoyances to someone other than a serco support representative.

Jason Bagley
    The Gartree Community School
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Re: Facility CMIS 2.8 build 34

Quote Originally Posted by Kained
    Assessment Data - ePortal hates submitting any data at all by any user ever, the only person it seems to work for is me, so when i test something i always get told " you must have changed something" or "it didnt do that for me", i know theres problems but there seems to be nothing i can do to resolve the issue.
    I urge you (if you're not already) to try running it from apache instead of IIS (I presume it's running in IIS now of course!) It should already be setup on your server as when you install E-Portal it also installs and sets up apache webserver as well. All you need do is access it on port 8080 insted of port 80 which is used by default. e.g "http://servername:8080/eportal" and it will be served from apache insted of IIS.

This solved all of our e-portal problems including problems submitting report data and problems with registration, and has been very reliable for the last 2 weeks now (I don't think we've had a single complaint!) it also doesn't ever seem to fall over like it does in IIS when you have to stop and restart the services to sort it out.

Mike.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kained
    CMIS *doesnt it just give you that shudder down your back like if someone walks over your grave*
    Makes a nice change people moaning about CMIS instead of SIMS.

Sorry I can't offer any help, but maybe give Phil Neal a call, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to offer you a solution to your problems.

A smug SIMS user

Thank Post

Steve :- Damn you, just damn you that is all, we cant change we are stuck is the answer i get from above.

maniac:- In some of serco's technical documents we read that to solve "issues" and for things to run smoother in general, use iis.

So bit unsure really what to say about that but i m ight give it a go, it just seems this most recent version is causing issues.

Thank Post

Yes, I'm aware running it in apache goes against Sercos advice, they even told me that themselves, but I just had a hunch, and to be honest was desparate to find a solution, so I just tried it.

As I say, we've been running it from apache for the last 2 weeks, and we've not had a single complaint about the E-Portal system. That's totally un-heard of! The system is quick and reliable and performing exactly as we'd like.

All I say is try it as you don't have to disterb your existing installation to do it, just e-mail a new link to a few reliable staff and ask them to try it for you.

mike.

Thank Post

I wouldnt think that using tomcat was a reliable answer in the long-term. It has previously been shown to suffer from exactly the same issues that are now appearing, it is most likely that all the problems being experienced with eportal are as a result of this latest build which doesnt seem to have the benefit of all the previous fixes that have been applied.

Using Tomcat or IE7 or Firefox are all possible ways round the problem in individual circumstances, but clearly dont answer the overall issues...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Anyone tried eportal on JBOSS ? I get the impression JBOSS is more enterprise than tomcat.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by AndyCope
    Using Tomcat or IE7 or Firefox are all possible ways round the problem in individual circumstances, but clearly dont answer the overall issues...
    Have you ever viewed E-Portal in firefox?? You can drag all the little sections round the screen to create a 'customised' homepage, and it saves their locations when you close the page. IE won't let you do this!

Mike

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCope
    Have you ever viewed E-Portal in firefox?? You can drag all the little sections round the screen to create a 'customised' homepage, and it saves their locations when you close the page. IE won't let you do this!

Mike
    We recently had Facility + ePortal installed, and I questioned the guy installing it, so a couple of things:

You are always using Tomcat when you are using ePortal; the IIS interface is just an ISAPI plugin that forwards the requests to the Tomcat server. I imagine it also allows single sign-on to work with LDAP. Why on earth Serco would say the IIS interface is more reliable than not using it is beyond me. They actually couldn't get the IIS interface working on our system (oh the hilarity of watching them crowbar the software onto a 64-bit OS...) so they left us with just the plain Tomcat installation.

It's interesting that you can't drag the sections around in IE... I had a discussion with the engineer about this and he told me "IE doesn't support it." And there was me thinking IE was capable of DHTML for years...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maniac

Mike

I am going to have to try that and see if it works! Sounds cool! (as you can tell i'm an IE only dude normally!)

Thank Post

Let this posting be a warning to all, the grass although it may initially appear so is not always greener. Around the time of the SIMS .net conversion we were thinking of jumping ship but despite significant research into alternative products came to the conclusion no other product was able to deliver what we were able to do at the time using SIMS. Since those fraught days of conversion SIMS has improved significantly and is a very strong product. I am not saying it is perfect but I have yet to see another MIS able to deliver all the functionality of SIMS.

Richard

Thank Post

I do disagree, CMIS is more powerful but less intuative, I have rarely heard it argued that SMIS has more functionality. However SIMS is tighter and has better support (the bane of CMIS). Still it keeps people like me in business.

CMIS shoots itself in the foot with daft things like the lack of ability to filter events in e-portal.

As for 2.8 (shakes head in a dissapointed manner). Despite the fact that I actually managed to get release notes and a test version early this time it still is so badly tested. Serco always manage to upset there customer base with new releases.

Thank Post

Good of you to declare your interest !! Colours your judgement somewhat.

Thank Post

Not really. I've used both and they both have differing strengths and weaknesses.

SIMS is much more user friendly to admin staff. CMIS can do almost anything that is asked of it but you might need a degree in Fortran and SQL. That however is the problem and the strength.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234