+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Urgent SIMS advice needed - Poss gross misconduct in Technical; Help! my Line manager has aasked me to investigate a possible case of GM involving SIMS Behaviour/Conduct Logs A member ...

Thank Post

Urgent SIMS advice needed - Poss gross misconduct

Help!

my Line manager has aasked me to investigate a possible case of GM involving SIMS Behaviour/Conduct Logs

A member of staff is suspected of deleting the logs of their own child..

Is there anyway to find out when a log was removed and by whom?

Thank Post
    I would contact you higher support as any interfering with the system could be prejudicial to legal action further on. County level support will be able to advise on how to proceed.

Thank Post
    http://support.capitaes.co.uk/websup...50832.xmlFalse

Apparently not.

System manager is also broken when you try and open the logs, using all the memory and crashing. Not that proper auditing is essential for when you want to enable remote access to sims etc, no, why ever would we need something as silly as that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Take a backup now. system manager can be done whilst system is live. now you can work with that. Also dump current server event logs.

As far as i know, no there isn't. If you have daily backups you can maybe narrow down what day it occured, but only if it was done the day after the backup.

System Manager will give you some logging, but it usually crashes my machine. worth a try though.

SupportNet KB50832 - Is there anyway of finding out who made changes in SIMS .net?

: only login sessions (along with the rights granted to a user at the time) are audited in the SQL Server database.

Look at the event logs on SIMS server, i quite often see password failures, not sure if it logs success too. Again, may help you track it down.

You'll need a lot of luck, in terms of the time of day, and who else might have been on the system at the time.

Best thing to do is contact Capita or your support for the official advise, but also let your boss / the executive team know how hard it is to find such info.

Thank Post
    So capita Fail again by not including a proper audit trail!
    oh wonderful.. thanks so much Capita!

I have rung our LA supoprt and waiting on a call back from them to see if there is anyway it can be traced..

Thank Post
    pipped me

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Not many logs are kept by SIMS. At least they are not accessible. Sending the data to Capita may get a result but it is too easy to delete behaviour entries.

This should be a disiplinary matter but would be difficult at present to prove.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    As far as i know, no there isn't. If you have daily backups you can maybe narrow down what day it occured, but only if it was done the day after the backup.
    SIMS runs on top of MS SQL Server. When you "delete" a record in an SQL database, is it actually deleted straight away or simply marked as deleted and left for a clean-up process to deal with? Depending on when, exactly, the data was deleted, and how often any clean-up process runs, would it be possible to recover "deleted" records from an SQL database file?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Capita will not speeak to me becuase the LEA are our supoprt contact

That would be fine if the LEA actaully helped me

so according to Capita Drone i need to

Log call with LEA (done)
    LEA investigate my issue
    if LEA cannot find solution the LEA have to raise issue with Capita
    Capita then investigate and then pass back to LEA
    LEA then carry out whatever capita have advised them to do

So its Me -> LEA -> CAPITA -> LEA -> ME

/me not a happy chappy at this ridiculous process....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If there are no simple logs, how about pulling up a backup of the SIMS database from a while back, and comparing the tables? Laborious work I know, but its a possibility?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    SIMS runs on top of MS SQL Server. When you "delete" a record in an SQL database, is it actually deleted straight away or simply marked as deleted and left for a clean-up process to deal with? Depending on when, exactly, the data was deleted, and how often any clean-up process runs, would it be possible to recover "deleted" records from an SQL database file?

--
    David Hicks

just been through the SQL DB - there is a table called sims.stud_behaviour - but either only a dozen people have recorded a behiouirs log this year or something is very wrong with this table as it goes back to 2001!

Thank Post
    Would hassling the LEA & demanding an escalation be worth it? This would be massively time sensitive, potentially a DPA issue. Wave that at them may be a big enough stick.

We have had the same problem with the lea>capita and back again route. Even had the lea tell us to phone capita direct to get something and then get pushed back to the LEA from them!

13. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

Gatt (17th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    just been through the SQL DB - there is a table called sims.stud_behaviour - but either only a dozen people have recorded a behiouirs log this year or something is very wrong with this table as it goes back to 2001!
    I'm not sure on the table structure, but have a look in the views. There is more than likely a relevant one in there.

15. Thanks to localzuk from:

Gatt (17th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post

--
    David Hicks
    You're far more knowledgable than me on the subject. I got the impression, deletions were final, and Capita state there is no logging. i've found similar when trying to track changes to assessment marks. the only logs they have to keep are for attendance marks.

I've never done it, but i believe it is possible, to use backups of the transaction logs and play these back onto a full backup. This would still only narrow down the timeframe at best, as i don't know if it would record the person doing it. We set 5 transaction log backups to occur through the day via SQL management studio. After a few weeks i delete them.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm not sure on the table structure, but have a look in the views. There is more than likely a relevant one in there.
    I don't think looking at the tables will show anything, as it will only show data that is there, or on a backup that was there. I don't believe there is explicit logging aside from the SQL processes @dhicks; mentioned which presumably get deleted after.

All you'll achieve is to work out when it was done, so unless it was after hours, it will be quite hard to track. You'll need to combine the soft evidence with facts about who was in school and logged into a computer at the time...

Thank Post
    The problem is, I assume any standard SQL tool built to browse through an SQL database is going to respect any "deleted" flags on records, hence it isn't going to show you tha data you want - you're going to need a forensics package of some sort that reads the SQL database directly without going through the SQL engine.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast