+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, t4, t6 in Technical; Hi all, Okay ..... Our timetabler designs the timetable in Nova T6 BUT then the SIMS Operator imports it into ...
    Thank Post

t4, t6

Hi all,

Okay .....

Our timetabler designs the timetable in Nova T6 BUT then the SIMS Operator imports it into T4 (don't ask me why ..........) - but this has caused a lot of problems.

This has, along with a few more issues, really messed some things up and we are really lagging behind.

Myself and the boss have forced them to use T6 fully this year. What I need to know is the following (and forgive me for this...)

* When the new academic year is created and activated, is there anything we need to do or can we just "commit" the T6 timetable to SQL and all will be hunky-dory?

Again forgive me for not being up with timetabling, I know bits of it but not done the academic year like this before and plan to run the new academic year, slightly earlier, on a test SIMS database (fully with T6) before we do this for real.

And if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    In short, there should be no problem, just send the new timetable back with the correct dates to SQL into the new year.

I'm not the timetabler but usually go through the end of year documentation and make sure everything runs smoothly.

There is always lots of documentation around for End Of Year processes, i always end up downloading multiple copies that all seem to say the same thing. Search SupportNet for EOY and you'll be able to get what you need. You can then go through the checklist and make sure everything is done in the correct order, so you don't accidentally overwrite anything or promote people now, or twice or something crazy like that.

I'm just about to refer to our docs because the timetable is done and Options have been allocated so we now need to do the first send back and start allocating kids to classes. The docs i'm using are Secondary School End of Year Procedures (SupportNet resource #16839) and Secondary School End of Year Procedures and promotion to 2010_2011 Academic Year_v1.1 (SupportNet resource #16752). Basically the same document. The former is the later version and is much shorter, the latter has fancy pictures. :O)

When you say you plan to run the new academic year early, i presume you mean that you will just be testing it, not that you are going to start the classes this year to get a head start. If that is the case, there's a whole different manual for that.

hth.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

rh91uk (13th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi Vik - thanks for that. Yeah so I can test it I can set up a backup Database but if you could point me in the right docs for if I want to do it in a test environment (if I am reading it correctly..) I would be greatful. Cheers
    Last edited by rh91uk; 13th June 2010 at 09:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information