+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, [SIMS] Java API for Command Reporter in Technical; Originally Posted by penfold_99 The SIF community is here Welcome to the SIF Association there are currently 2 moodle SIF ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    The SIF community is here Welcome to the SIF Association there are currently 2 moodle SIF agents for moodle avaliable, one does basic course creation and enrolment and the other does course creation, enrolment, groups management and parental egagement.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    I can only see SIMS->Moodle transfer not the other way around. One quote on http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=123795 says "Capita are not going to follow the SIF at all", this was about a year ago though and may be just hearsay.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bantonia View Post
    I can only see SIMS->Moodle transfer not the other way around. One quote on http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=123795 says "Capita are not going to follow the SIF at all", this was about a year ago though and may be just hearsay.
    Two way data flow is possible as we are currently developing attendance modult that will sit in moodle and enable teachers to take a register and the data will be sent back using SIF. Capita are comitted to SIF, I am attending a meeting with Capita, Serco, RM and other regarding timetabling in SIF.

The best thing to do is to come along to the next SIFA Meeting on the 9th & 10th November (venue TBA). @Grumbledook: attended the last meeting and found it enlighting .

Thank Post
    I will be very interested if I am able to attend.

Thank Post
    Hi cgilmour,

I've uploaded an example to sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/simscommandrepo/files/) with instructions which views the data from assessment manager. There is an associated .repdef file which has to be imported into sims.

I have ran a few tests and have managed to duplicate what you found.
    If you ran the report from the command line, but in running, an error was produced, then the error you received was produced when that same command line was run in the client software. This happend in my tests when the report name was incorrect or the report required parameters to be chosen. As far as I can see this is a result of the commandreporter.exe producing an error which is not being passed back to the client in a clean manner. I will at some point update the server side code and library to cope with this situation and report back appropriately.

You could create a new java application and use the code below to test. Replace the appropriate places to suit your server and SIMS login. I have left out the "package" line, just copy and paste the rest after your generated "package" statement. I have chosen a CES report so you should have it in your system. The commandreporter string doesn't have to have the "commandreporter" within it, it will automatically appended anyway, the same goes for the "/quiet". Parameters "/user:xxxx" and "/password:xxxxxxx" can be in the commandreporter string but they can be left out and set instead using the setUsername and setPassword methods before the execute method.

Note: If the report name contains spaces then the report name has to be enclosed in quotes, programatically this means adding escapes within the string \" before and after the report name.

Running this report should produce a list of students with some of their details.

P.S. don't forget to include the library. Also I have noticed the Level.SEVERE gets mangled on the edugeek site, the space needs to be removed.

import java.rmi.RemoteException;
    import java.util.*;
    import java.util.logging.*;
    import net.beaconhillcott.CommandReporter;

public class Main {

public static void main(String[] args) {
    CommandReporter cr=new CommandReporter("myserver");
    try {
    cr.execute("commandreporter /user:myuid /password:mypass /report:\"School List: Alphabetical Order\" /quiet");
    Iterator i=cr.getFieldNames().iterator();
    while (i.hasNext()) {
    System.out.print(i.next()+" ");
    }
    System.out.println();
    i=cr.getDataRecords().iterator();
    while (i.hasNext()) {
    ArrayList list=(ArrayList) i.next();
    Iterator j=list.iterator();
    while (j.hasNext()) {
    System.out.print(j.next()+" ");
    }
    System.out.println();
    }
    } catch (RemoteException ex) {
    Logger.getLogger(Main.class.getName()).log(Level.S EVERE, null, ex);
    }
    }
    }
    Last edited by bantonia; 26th June 2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added text

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    Two way data flow is possible as we are currently developing attendance modult that will sit in moodle and enable teachers to take a register and the data will be sent back using SIF. Capita are comitted to SIF, I am attending a meeting with Capita, Serco, RM and other regarding timetabling in SIF.

The best thing to do is to come along to the next SIFA Meeting on the 9th & 10th November (venue TBA). @Grumbledook: attended the last meeting and found it enlighting .
    Hi,

As I understand it from SIMS ZIS Agent you say there is going to be a cost for SIF Agents, at the moment I'm looking for an opensource no cost method of transferring data from SIMS even if it is only one way, restrictive but better than nothing at all.

Thank Post
    Updated the RMI server to return more descriptive error messages back to the client.

Thank Post
    Thanks Bantonia will give it a try when I get a chance :-)

Thank Post
    Going my own route, SIF seems expensive when I can write routines to use the REST protocol to transfer data to Moodle 2. I'm currently waiting for updated routines within Moodle 2 to continue writing my Java REST communication class.

Whilst waiting, I am writing, for my own brain massaging, an alternative to the parents view of Learning Gateway utilising a JSP running within Glassfish which fetches data via the CommandReporter Java API. Authentication is working and currently just basic information can be viewed. Changing the SIMS report by adding and removing fields, exposes more or less of the data to be viewed by the parent. I'm going to modularise the code so each additional class can show a different view of selected data. One good thing, no provisioning required and when students leave no tidying up to do with parental accounts.

This is just for info if anyone is interested.

Thank Post
    Sounds interesting, but I'm not convinced that commandreporter would scale well to a few hundred parents accessing the site during period one registration!

Thank Post
    True it may not, has not been tested under pressure. It all depends on how the Java RMI Library code for the server processes requests such as blocking/non-blocking. Currently I'm assuming, not always good, that it is non-blocking and therefore a new thread is begun to service each new request. The other limitation is the commandreporter.exe tool provided by Capita, it can be quite slow depending upon the detail of the report being run.

That said, I'm not convinced that all parents will all want to see if their offspring have safely arrived at school all at the same time. So the requests will be spread out over time which should allow access in a reasonable amount of time.
    Last edited by bantonia; 17th July 2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Thank Post
    Just checked, the Java RMI system is non-blocking and does dispatch a new thread for each new RMI call. So as long as the service which processes the call is thread safe, multiple calls all should process correctly. So it's now just down to Windows and the commandreporter.exe. Each call will be serviced by a new cmd environment. I'm again assuming, dangerous, but again I'm hoping those who have coded these parts have done so in a thread safe manner, that there will be no cross talk and be non-blocking.
    Last edited by bantonia; 17th July 2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added text

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12