+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS December Update Fails Gaaahh!! in Technical; I've had this problem before but this time the recommended solutions don't work. The problem is that during the update ...
    Thank Post

SIMS December Update Fails Gaaahh!!

I've had this problem before but this time the recommended solutions don't work.

The problem is that during the update (which crawls along) I get the error "SimsApplicationSetup.exe is in use and cannot be installed". I have deleted the SOLUS downloads folder (the one with loads of numbers) and re-downloaded quite a few times now to no avail.

I have also made sure that there is no AV software running during the update (Capita's advice) and turned off the diskeeper service in case it was that. No joy.

It also borks SIMS and forces me to restore each time it goes wrong so each attempt is taking ages to do.

Any ideas?

Cheers

HBJB

Thank Post

Re: SIMS December Update Fails Gaaahh!!

Not what I was wanting to hear as our SIMS Server was getting upgraded overnight

Thank Post

I will tell our SIMS bod about that one...and just before the Census return too!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

I did ours last Thursday ... and have had no problems whatsoever.

All of my outstanding issues (Course Manager not allowign the right people to see the right marksheets, AM7 not converting AM6 individual student reports properly and crashing out when over 15 users are accessing it via a terminal server) have been resolved and I have not seen any new issues ... or rather I have not had a phone call from Stephen to say it has all gone pear-shaped and I need to remotely connect in to try and fix stuff.

Thank Post

Worked fine here.

Try upgrading from the CD Image http://www.capitasolus.co.uk/CDImage/dec06upd.zip - it's saved us grief with flaky downloads.

Thank Post

Nice link. I'll give it a go.

Thanks

HBJB

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    or rather I have not had a phone call from Stephen to say it has all gone pear-shaped and I need to remotely connect in to try and fix stuff.
    Probably should be a new thread, but what do you use to remote in to your network. I need something here pretty desperately.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

I too have upgraded just before christmas (wanted to be different and take a real risk), no problems here and it's an RMCC3 network (not that i have any qualms about this).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    or rather I have not had a phone call from Stephen to say it has all gone pear-shaped and I need to remotely connect in to try and fix stuff.
    Probably should be a new thread, but what do you use to remote in to your network. I need something here pretty desperately.

HBJB
    Definitely another thread .. but 2 options ... VPN via our firewall (Firebox X700 from Watchguard) or over RDP over the internet (yes .. I know that there is so much that could go wrong ... but it works and it can be secured later once we have sufficient eveidence it is heavily used ... which it now is.)

Thank Post

Update:

I've tried the CD version still no joy - same error. I then restarted the server (again) and made a copy of the SimsApplicationSetup.exe to make sure it was not locked. All of this was done with the server disconnected from the network and after a restart.

After running the SOLUS from the CD again I let it bomb out and tried again immediately. It told me I had to apply updates in order to continue. Bingo I though - I'm getting somewhere. It managed to do the DB upgrades and proceeded to install the Dec. update. Then it bombed again. WFT!!

Capita are no help because they've not even answered my case to my satisfaction yet. Their only suggestion was to re-boot the server (like I didn't try that!!) and after telling me that POS they closed the case. Naturally I re-opened it but I think they're ignoring me now.

Utter bollocks!

I'm now restoring the system yet again.

Dinner's in the cat once more.

HBJB

Thank Post

We've managed to apply the update BUT internal SIMS backup take over an hour now - when they used to be about 15 mins. Very, very odd. :?

Thank Post

Well I had a problem with the December update in the fact that as always its hard to tell whether anyone is on the system or not - and its difficult finding an easy way to disconnect them all.

I tried a solus download and install... approx 230mb as I was still on 7.82

And I kept getting a message saying that one version 0f a file wasnt the correct one and wouldnt allow the install or the database updates to proceed.

I tried restarting the sql service etc and tried making sure no one was using sims (although often when I'm certain no one is, it still shows some as connected)

What i eventually did (after searching the crappy sims site for sometime was found this bit of info for making certain that no one is connected - I also deleted the temp downloaded setup folders and allowed them to be downloaded again)

1. Stop the SQL Service.

2. Click on Start | Run | Type SVRNETCN

3. Disable the enabled network protocols. This will prevent any connections from any other machine.

3. Start the SQL Server Service.

The only slight drawback is that you have to have sims also installed as a workstation on the server itself - but for me making sure NO ONE could connect at all made my install go ahead smoothly once the download had completed....

You think they would make such a useful utilty more public knowledge consider the number of 'how do I disconnect all users when upgrading' posts hehe!

PS. If you use this remember to reverese the procedure afterwards.... stop sql... re-enable protocols... start sql etc

Thank Post

No real problems here with the update- several clients failed to auto-update and so were out of sync with the server, but running the install manually fixed them first time. Quite a good update for us for the second month in a row really.

Thank Post

I have a problem when I run the update, it won't backup the database, it locks it but fails when the backup tries to run. This happened last night when I was the only person in the school and I had killed all the connections to the sims database.

Does anyone know how to make the database backup ok?

Thank Post

Have to ask this.. its not a space issue is it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast