+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Stand alone install of SIMs in Technical; Hi, Our SIMs server recently died and whilst waiting for nice new one to be delivered we are trying to ...

Thank Post

Stand alone install of SIMs

Hi,

Our SIMs server recently died and whilst waiting for nice new one to be delivered we are trying to install SIMs on a laptop just to run off some reports.

So far we have installed SQL Server 2008 (default instance), attached the sims.mdf database to the SQL server, and installed SIMS.net.

As the laptop has Windows Vista we turned off User Access Control and windows firewall just in case.

When we ran SIMs for the first time it asked for the location of SIMs on the laptop. We chose "I cannot access a SIMS connect.ini file", left the Server Name as (local) and the database name is sims.

When I try and log in it just says invalid username and password.

Looking at the connect.ini file that was created it says:

[SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=(local)
    DatabaseName= sims
    ServerType=SIMSSQL

I tried changing the ServerName to the name of the laptop instead of (local) but this still had no effect. Usually the ServerName would be the name of the Server or PC followed by the name of the SQL server instance but we installed SQL server as the default instance.

Can anyone shed any light on what we might be doing wrong?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ah sims will do this if you dont use DB attach to backup the database it will loose the credentials.

how to get round it i do not know. You will have to get in some how and reset every users password.

Thank Post
    It might be worth trying to reset the Sysman password to password by running exec sims.db_p_reset_sysman_password in SQL Server Management Studio.

I'd also give exec sims.db_p_install and exec sims.db_p_grant a go as well as those procedures happen every time you re-attach the database and they help to refresh/restore the logins.

I wouldn't be too hopeful though, once it's lost them, it's usually a complete PITA to get them back. I have a vague recollection of a rather complex way to do this in SQL Management Studio... recover logins through there but it took quite a long time to do and figure out, I can't quite remember I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    SIMS wont run as a default instance...

I did this last summer thinking i was saving time, but it went wrong.

Just whack the SQL disk in and add another instance, but it must be named. Then you should be fine.

I can't remember why this happens, there is a reason, it just can't cope with a blank name for the instance. I'm not sure where it's documented either, maybe check SupportNet. I came across it, whilst setting up a test server to test SLG / sharepoint on. I was using SQL 2005 on my laptop at the time...

Whatever the reason, i think putting a named instance should fix the issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    So,
    I did a little search on SupportNet and the results came back inconclusive, damn!
    KB71936 - How to Install SQL 2005 - says choose a named instance.
    KB94307 - How to Install SQL 2008 - says you can choose a named or default instance.
    KB89074 - Shows a DBAttach error regarding backing up DMS when using a default instance on SQL 2005
    KB20794 - How to move document server from one machine to another - describes using default instances again!!

I still think it's worth a go though, to rule it out if nothing else.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread