+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Server Migration in Technical; Hi Appologies if this has already been covered but i couldn't find it! Does anyone have experience of migrating SIMS ...

Thank Post

SIMS Server Migration

Hi
    Appologies if this has already been covered but i couldn't find it!

Does anyone have experience of migrating SIMS from one server to another? I am supposed to be doing it next week for the first time and I could really do with some help!
    I need to know a). the order in which i need to do everything and b), a list of everything I need to do!

If anyone has done this before and written a procedure it would be very useful!!

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    I'll be doing this at the end of this month in a few weeks so I might take some screenshots and write an actual instruction booklet on how to do it (as it's not something many of us do often so a nice instruction booklet would be handy I think).

Before you attempt the transfer, make sure that you have ample backups of the SIMS and FMS databases and the DOCSTORAGE folder.

Here is a quick guide:

On the old server: Detatch SIMS/FMS databases using DBattach, stop the SQL Service (services.msc), copy the relevant MDF/LDF's from the DATA directory where SQL is installed. Copy the DOCSTORAGE folder too.

On the new server: Copy the detatched MDF/LDF's across as well as the Setups folder (from the old server / Capita FTP site) or install from a CD. Dont forget about copying the DOCSTORAGE folder across too.

Install full SQL if the school has a license.

Run SIMSinst.exe and select all of the options for the Server (used as a server, setup as the document management server as well), this should then install all of the components which you need to run SIMS.net (if I remember correctly, it also installs SQL Express). Just make a note of the instance name and the SA password when you're prompted to enter one during the installation.

Run DBattach, select the SIMS/FMS MDF/LDF files which were detached from the old server and attach them to your new SQL instance.

Amend the connect.ini so that it reflects your new servername, instance name and database name. When SIMS.net runs, it will ask you to show it where your connect.ini resides so you'll need to think about how you're going to set this up. I usually put the connect.ini on a mapped network drive, usually S:\SIMS or S:\MIS and then have all of the connect.ini's on the workstations redirect to them.

I also wouldn't reformat/dismantle/do anything to the old server until I'd got everything working correctly on the new one, SIMS or otherwise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    I'll be doing this at the end of this month in a few weeks so I might take some screenshots and write an actual instruction booklet on how to do it (as it's not something many of us do often so a nice instruction booklet would be handy I think).

Before you attempt the transfer, make sure that you have ample backups of the SIMS and FMS databases and the DOCSTORAGE folder.

Here is a quick guide:

On the old server: Detatch SIMS/FMS databases using DBattach, stop the SQL Service (services.msc), copy the relevant MDF/LDF's from the DATA directory where SQL is installed. Copy the DOCSTORAGE folder too.

On the new server: Copy the detatched MDF/LDF's across as well as the Setups folder (from the old server / Capita FTP site) or install from a CD. Dont forget about copying the DOCSTORAGE folder across too.

Install full SQL if the school has a license.

Run SIMSinst.exe and select all of the options for the Server (used as a server, setup as the document management server as well), this should then install all of the components which you need to run SIMS.net (if I remember correctly, it also installs SQL Express). Just make a note of the instance name and the SA password when you're prompted to enter one during the installation.

Run DBattach, select the SIMS/FMS MDF/LDF files which were detached from the old server and attach them to your new SQL instance.

Amend the connect.ini so that it reflects your new servername, instance name and database name. When SIMS.net runs, it will ask you to show it where your connect.ini resides so you'll need to think about how you're going to set this up. I usually put the connect.ini on a mapped network drive, usually S:\SIMS or S:\MIS and then have all of the connect.ini's on the workstations redirect to them.

I also wouldn't reformat/dismantle/do anything to the old server until I'd got everything working correctly on the new one, SIMS or otherwise.
    I would do it in a different order.
    Map a drive from the new sever to the old servers.
    Copy the Sims folder and DOCstorage across.
    Run Simsinst and install what you need workstation + docserver and possibly SQL express if you are going that route.

Backup Sims from System Manager on the old server, and restore backups onto the new servers Sims database.
    Copy the Docstorage into the correct location > server name - instance, etc
    Ready to Go.

Then test. When your happy do another backup restore (Friday night possibly) and create a logon script the remaps the workstations to the address of the new server rather than the old.
    You could even change the original connect.ini on the old server to redirect to the new server as a temporary catchall.

Thank Post
    THere was a document on supportnet that details what to do in a "Capita Approved Style" (tm)

I assume it's still there though I've not looked in a while.

Thank Post
    I too wouldnt mind having a copy of a migration of SIMS server. I have been part of it before but it was 2 - 3 years ago and i have forgotten how to do it. I know you have to export the database and re-import it into the new SQL.

Thank Post
    If you're talking about moving SIMS to another server not the migration to SQL 2008, I do it by setting up SQL installing SIMS with a blank database then restoring a backup of the data using dbattach. I've done it a happily couple of times. One advantage of this is that you don't touch the original server or the data on it so if anything goes wrong you can carry on using it while you work out what happened then restore an up to date backup when you're happy. You can also do a trial run because until you remap the S drive (or it's equivalent) no one can see it. You also only need to take SIMS offline while you do the backup and restore.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    All of the above look good to me, i've done this quite often, as i frequently make Virtual Machines to test updates out on, and basically it uses the same procedures. Except i change the server names, and this needs fiddling to get the doc storage sent to the right place, and correct folder name. Apart from that all goes well.
    Now i tend to clone a working machine as it saves time, but i'll be doing some fresh tests when we start the migration testing to go do sql 2008.
    There are some other threads on here regarding this topic, and there were some old instructions flying around from GREED too.
    It would be good to get an up to date document produced Sarconia, maybe even put it in the wiki, or how do you do it forum...

Thank Post
    I put together some really botched notes for our SQL 2005-2008 SIMS migration when we did it from our old sql2005 to a new sql2008 server. See attatched.

Our LEA has not tested FMS on SQL 2008 yet so I can't go ahead and migrate that - so it is still running on the old box.

I am not the master at writing guides but hope you get the jist, missed out a few things I suppose but this was just for our internal benefit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rh91uk; 12th May 2010 at 08:57 AM.

9. Thanks to rh91uk from:

painejake (12th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    It would be good to get an up to date document produced Sarconia, maybe even put it in the wiki, or how do you do it forum...
    I've had a look in my calendar and I'll be transferring the database across on June 1st, hopefully I'll have enough time to take ample screenshots and make notes. Then I'll write a step by step document which hopefully will include everything. (I do like writing documents... don't ask me why! I just do).

Thank Post
    The following is a link to the Somerset guidance on moving SIMS to a new server (SQL2005 version only at the moment) Some elements are specific to Somerset schools setups, but this may help with the basics of the process.

http://www.six.somerset.gov.uk/sixv3....asp?did=18604

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Has anyone moved from a SQL2005 Enterprise instance to a SQL2008 Enterprise instance with DBs and Document server installations on a Windows 2003R2 Enterprise server?

I am looking at this at the moment as plans are to get SQL up to 2008, then build VM 2008R2 enterprise server, re-install SQL2008 instance and migrate DBs and install Document server. Would anyone see any problems with this?

Thank Post
    Has anyone moved SIMS onto Server 2008 R2 yet?

Tim

Thank Post
    Not fully supported but it does work! Just make sure your using SQL2008 not R2.

Thank Post
    @jinnantonnix:

Cheers do you have this documented at all and prepared to share

Thank Post
    @RobFuller:

Do you mean Server 2008 with SQL2008 instance or Server 2008R2 with SQL2008 instance both 64bit I presume?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast